Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The issue is on my computer only, I can't get to the login page, that's where I'm getting the error.

I am 100% sure you don't understand me here.

I am not talking about firefox and the login page on the page you want to log into, I am talking about making a new User Account on your computer.

You should read what I said above but for your convenience I will say the procedure again.

1. Open System Preferences

2. Click Users And Groups.

3. On the left pane click the + sign to create a new User.

4. After you created a new User log out of your User Account

5. When you see the Login Screen click on the new User and enter password.

6. Open Firefox and try to login into the site

Does this work?

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
I am 100% sure you don't understand me here.

I am not talking about firefox and the login page on the page you want to log into, I am talking about making a new User Account on your computer.

You should read what I said above but for your convenience I will say the procedure again.

1. Open System Preferences

2. Click Users And Groups.

3. On the left pane click the + sign to create a new User.

4. After you created a new User log out of your User Account

5. When you see the Login Screen click on the new User and enter password.

6. Open Firefox and try to login into the site

Does this work?

This works! So how do I fix it on my account?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks! Also, my search engine keeps changing to yahoo in firefox, I don't know if this is related?

No, I do not think so, I included a screenshot here to show how to change it.
My version is an older one so yours might be different.
Open Preferences in Firefox, should be under the firefox Menu in the Menu Bar.
Then set the homepage to blank or to a page you like.
Also, it will take a bit of time to explain the procedure to find the problem and I am not a very fast typer, so be patient.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 92

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
To solve the problem is a bit of a chore, let me explain, since the problem only occurs in your User account the problem file is in your home folder.
Settings are almost all in your Library folder and the most likely folder is the Preferences (settings) folder inside the library folder.

Now to find to conflict is a bit of a process.

Since you can not change things inside your Library folder when you are logged in you need to do this from another User, but the best way is the root user, yours is most likely not active yet so first you have to activate Root.

How to enable the root User:
Open /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility
Next click the padlock
Enter password
Now under the Edit in the Menu Bar click enable root User.
It will ask for a new password to be set(twice)

Logout
You now get to the login screen and see other, click on that and enter root as name and the password you entered earlier.

Open a browser and download Show & Hide, this is a small application which makes your invisible files visible, download here.
http://www.longfingers.com/download/Show&Hide.zip

Unzip, click it and make your files visible.

Now, navigate to Your normal User Accounts home folder and locate the /Library/Preferences folder, rename it to Preferences Old(Or whatever you want.)

Logout, and login to your normal User Account, everything (settings) are now reset but don't worry they are in Preferences Old.
There is a new Preferences folder now with new setting.

Open Firefox, is it working now??????
If so, the problem file is in the Preferences folder.
In this case logout and login into root again, now drag half(50%) of your files from Preferences Old to preferences.
Logout of root and login to normal User account.
Open firefox and try again.

Problem still gone, the 50% files are Ok and the problem is in the other 50% in the Preferences Old folder.
Problem is there, the problem is now back to the preferences folder.

So, in essence you have to each time half the files and eventually you'll find the one file which is the culprit.
It is a bit of a job though.

If the problem didn't go away by renaming the preferences folder to Preferences Old the problem is in another folder, the next one would be Application support.

You can revert back to the old situation by renaming the old folder back.
For security I would make a copy of the folder you work on and place it in a safe place like a USB stick or just on the desktop.

Now, question, do you understand the procedure, if not I can make a few screen shots.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What does that mean for me?

I don't understand you, you asked a question which I don't understand so asked again and you're still not clear, what problems do you have, did you try to login into another account and was the problem still there????

Edit: By the way, if you have a similar but different problem better start a new thread, it's easier and more fair to the OP.

jones989

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I did, but you seem to know what your doing. I did log into a different account and it persisted.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I did, but you seem to know what your doing. I did log into a different account and it persisted.

Ah, now it's a clear, but if you read this whole thread you'll see there are other things you can do, like looking inside the :

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems

and see what is there, it's also here in this thread I said you might have Apps like internet security/virus apps and/or apps like CleanMyMac or Mackeeper, if you have any of those get rid of them as fast as you can, they are rubbish and not needed.

jones989

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
The antivirus uninstall didn't help. I did noticed that when using a proxy, the website would come up.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The antivirus uninstall didn't help. I did noticed that when using a proxy, the website would come up.

If you uninstall you should restart, but now you say you are using a proxy server?
If so, many times Proxy servers don't work for sites which have high security, even Ebay/PayPal does not work with a Proxy Server nor does Apple and many-many others.

jones989

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
No I was using to test to see if it would load the website. I did restart my computer when uninstalling avast

jones989

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
Only launchagents exists and it doesn't have any antivirus/ security program plists in them.

jones989

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
There is mostly adobe and apple things, but in startup, there's a MySQLCOM folder containing startup parameters and a Unix exe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.