Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Do you guys feel that apple is losing their magic?

I'm an apple fanboy love the products, my room is filled with apple stuff.
But I've been thinking for a while now, when the iPhone 4 and ipad was introduced I was happy, I'm sure there were tablets out there but nothing like the ipad, or a phone that didn't match the iPhone 4.
But after the 4S and ipad 2 came out I began to think what's happening with apple? Numbers speak for themselves, millions of idevices sold. But to me, in my opinion I feel like apple is just milking its products, the 4S had Siri and a dual core processor and also a bump in ram I believe but that's it?? iPhone 5, nice design but yet looks like an iPhone 4 but taller. No big changes, new processor,better ram... Seems like I have to skip a generation to see a change. Same goes for ipad 2,3,4 same design except the 3 and 4 are heavier and have a speaker grill on the bottom right. Yes retina display and all. It's also been a while since Ive said " my phone can do this, yours can't" I don't know if its just me or does anyone also feel like this?
WhiteIphone5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2
novono
macrumors member

No.
novono is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Anajaf27
macrumors regular

Yes
Anajaf27 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

No.
blueroom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5
tech4all
macrumors 68040

In a way yes.

The iPhone was great when it came out. Now the so-called 'updates' are it being a bit longer. At least that's what they pushed on a commercial I saw.

The iPad mini, is a let down IMO. Completely underspeced and over priced. Yea it's selling well, but you know much of them are buying because of the name. Plain and simple.

Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in a loooong time. Same with the iPod Classic. Which is probably going to be discontinued. It's all about iOS now.

If Apple keep locking down their computers like they have been, I will either build a hackintosh or switch back to Windows. I refused to be locked in and not able to expand/upgrade. I realize it was always limited, in particular with the iMac, but it's getting crazy now. You HAVE to buy RAM from Apple now since they solder it in.

I used to be a fanboy, but ever since I ventured into other areas (Android, yea I said it to those who might get offended), I realize that there other and sometimes better (for me at least) options out there.

Time will tell to see how Tim Cook will lead Apple.

That or Apple is still the same and some are noticing the other options.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
I'm an apple fanboy love the products, my room is filled with apple stuff.
But I've been thinking for a while now, when the iPhone 4 and ipad was introduced I was happy, I'm sure there were tablets out there but nothing like the ipad, or a phone that didn't match the iPhone 4.
But after the 4S and ipad 2 came out I began to think what's happening with apple? Numbers speak for themselves, millions of idevices sold. But to me, in my opinion I feel like apple is just milking its products, the 4S had Siri and a dual core processor and also a bump in ram I believe but that's it?? iPhone 5, nice design but yet looks like an iPhone 4 but taller. No big changes, new processor,better ram... Seems like I have to skip a generation to see a change. Same goes for ipad 2,3,4 same design except the 3 and 4 are heavier and have a speaker grill on the bottom right. Yes retina display and all. It's also been a while since Ive said " my phone can do this, yours can't" I don't know if its just me or does anyone also feel like this?
Nope

I don't expect drastic generational changes. A design for an iPhone or iPad should last two generations IMO.

The Retina MBP are awesome in design. Magic.

The iPhone 5 is an engineering marvel. Anyone can make an oversized phone. Few can make a slim phone that still delivers the goods.

I don't care about bragging about my phone. it now comes down to the artist to impress. Don't use the hardware as a crutch
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:25 PM   #7
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
In a way yes.

The iPhone was great when it came out. Now the so-called 'updates' are it being a bit longer. At least that's what they pushed on a commercial I saw.

The iPad mini, is a let down IMO. Completely underspeced and over priced. Yea it's selling well, but you know much of them are buying because of the name. Plain and simple.

Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in a loooong time. Same with the iPod Classic. Which is probably going to be discontinued. It's all about iOS now.

If Apple keep locking down their computers like they have been, I will either build a hackintosh or switch back to Windows. I refused to be locked in and not able to expand/upgrade. I realize it was always limited, in particular with the iMac, but it's getting crazy now. You HAVE to buy RAM from Apple now since they solder it in.

I used to be a fanboy, but ever since I ventured into other areas (Android, yea I said it to those who might get offended), I realize that there other and sometimes better (for me at least) options out there.

Time will tell to see how Tim Cook will lead Apple.

That or Apple is still the same and some are noticing the other options.
I have boot camp but if i were to choose definitely stay with Mac OS.
But this year for the first time I kinda switched, I got a GS3 and man on man, the tech is amazing. I really hate apples marketing, slap the apple logo in any product=sold out
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

No, Apple is fine.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
I kind of feel that way... I was never even slightly interested in their iDevices. They have been using aluminum for nearly all of their products since 2008. The designs aren't really as unique as they were 7+ years ago.

The iPod Classic seems like it won't be getting any updates soon.

The iOS-ification of Mac OS X doesn't look that good IMO. The new iNanos are nice though !
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Nope

I don't expect drastic generational changes. A design for an iPhone or iPad should last two generations IMO.

The iPhone 5 is an engineering marvel. Anyone can make an oversized phone. Few can make a slim phone that still delivers the goods.

I don't care about bragging about my phone. it now comes down to the artist to impress. Don't use the hardware as a crutch
"Retina MacBook Pro are awesome in desing. Magic."
Huh? Looks like the 13 MacBook Pro just slimmer... With a retina display
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 PM   #11
boss.king
macrumors 68040

They were never magic. They have incredibly on-point advertising, and the more you educate yourself about the products, the less effect that has on you.

Their products have tradeoffs and problems just like any other, they just do a better job at spinning them.
boss.king is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 PM   #12
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

I gave tons of sperm to a sperm bank to pay for my first iPhone. I wouldn't do that for the iP5. So yes, magic is lost.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 AM   #13
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

For the iPhone, yes. Everything else, no.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:13 AM   #14
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Nope

What "goods" does the iPhone 5 deliver? It's taller but still the same 4S.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:51 AM   #15
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
LTE
Improved Camera
A6 SoC
Improved Screen quality
New front facing camera
Lightning Connector
4-Inch screen
New external case (lighter, thinner)

Yep its just a taller 4s.
AQUADock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
LTE
Improved Camera
A6 SoC
Improved Screen quality
New front facing camera
Lightning Connector
4-Inch screen
New external case (lighter, thinner)

Yep its just a taller 4s.
Huh? Dude
LTE yes, a6 yes. Camera? No, same cam but uses sapphire cover to prevent scratches on lens. Lighting connector naw ill pay, if the speed improved yes, but same speed as 30 pin. Lighter,thinner. Yeah that's nice.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:37 PM   #17
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Huh? Dude
LTE yes, a6 yes. Camera? No, same cam but uses sapphire cover to prevent scratches on lens. Lighting connector naw ill pay, if the speed improved yes, but same speed as 30 pin. Lighter,thinner. Yeah that's nice.
No the the camera has an improved lens (according to apple) not in megapixels but in colour saturation and so on.
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
No the the camera has an improved lens (according to apple) not in megapixels but in colour saturation and so on.
Yes, having owned an iPhone 3GS, a 4S and now a 5, I can attest that the new camera in the iPhone 5 does have improved colour saturation, much easier to get some purple halos going around light sources than with the old lens/optic combo.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:35 PM   #19
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Yes, having owned an iPhone 3GS, a 4S and now a 5, I can attest that the new camera in the iPhone 5 does have improved colour saturation, much easier to get some purple halos going around light sources than with the old lens/optic combo.
apparently that is actually a sign of a good camera.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:37 PM   #20
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
apparently that is actually a sign of a good camera.
Thanks guys, I didn't know.. But I mean I had 5 and I didn't see a difference between the 4S and 5 camera.. Must be me
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:39 PM   #21
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks guys, I didn't know.. But I mean I had 5 and I didn't see a difference between the 4S and 5 camera.. Must be me
Its not a massive improvement but its something.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I vote for a "Gloom and Doom" subforum...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:00 PM   #23
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Yup and the ocean is just a body of water. It's really pretty easy to oversimplify things if you don't have to actually create the item in question.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #24
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

I don't think its they've lost their "magic" on the current lineup, but they need something new and innovative. The phone especially I feel is starting to get stale. I have a 5 and I like it just fine, but most of the features they added have been available on other phones for a bit. The computer lineup while a bit more expensive than their counterparts are comparable and I don't mind paying extra for a premium brand. Will be interesting to see where they are at in 2 years.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:06 PM   #25
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Listen!

The Stock Market, is run by a bunch of pantie waists. This down turn, is a result of switching to new screens, NOT lack of demand,(don't believe it?) Wait until iPad 5 is released with the new screen,quad core chip,amazing graphics,then the weak kneed analysts will jump on the band wagon. You need to be in this for the long run. I bought 1000 shares at $68.89, sold in September at $704, since it didn't split, I sold. So now I wait, now it hit 500, bought 1000 shares, out of my profits, as well as a Class A Country Coach class A Motorhome!
I'll cash out when it reaches $1000, by the end of 2014, or later, you can't get daily results, and react, you simply can't. To get into Apple I sold enough do nothing GE stock to get me $70K,( back then I bought 1 and GE gave me two)
I still have tons left out of a 30 year career as a welder! I am going with, and sticking with Apple, it has made me a rich man,and after the pussys bail on Apple, I will be laughing all the way to the bank Now my friends, if you have the funds, no matter how small, bet on Apple, you Will be rewarded!

Last edited by Cheffy Dave; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional words
Cheffy Dave is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion