Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has two TVs in the same room with each having its own directv receiver. Is it possible to split the coax signal and send one line to each box? I want to watch different sports at the same time so I know I need two receivers.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has two TVs in the same room with each having its own directv receiver. Is it possible to split the coax signal and send one line to each box? I want to watch different sports at the same time so I know I need two receivers.

I believe you would need to tell DirecTV this. Since they would need to know about the extra equipment and activate it to receive programming.

As far as splitting the coax before it reaches the boxes, it sounds plausible. But I don't know much about this stuff. So, don't take my word for it.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
A spliter won't work you would have to run a new feed from the sat. If your receiver that you have now has LNB loop through on the back you can run a cable from that to the other receiver and you might be able to watch different channels but the stations would have to be the same horizontal or vertical polarity.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
If you just cut and split the cable, you'll have to watch the same thing on both receivers. If you have a multi LNB dish, you could run another cable from an open LNB to the second receiver, and you would have different feeds. Also, you need active cards in each receiver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.