Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
SimCity Digital Deluxe - No Mac version?


Seems to be no pre-order ability of SimsCity the deluxe version? I want to take advantage of their 'British City Set'.

I know there's no reason to pre-order a digital copy, but intrigued to know whether a Mac version is coming or not. If there's no plans for the DD version I'll order the CD copy.

Anyone know why this is or if they plan to launch this version for mac later?

I've tried contacting them them via Twitter / Facebook but no reply.
__________________
iPhone 5S (16GB Gold) Macbook Pro (Mid '12) 1TB 2.9GHz 8GB iMac (Mid '11) 500GB 2.5GHz 4GB
rsnapeuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It won't be available until origin is and that will probably be closer to the release date.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768 | Black 32GB iPhone 5 | Apple TV | 160GB iPod Classic
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
braddicted2mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
I pre-ordered mine ! I hope that origin gets it right and allows either a Mac or PC download with same serial code to use on either. I will ask that question when and if they have a mac digital download option. I heard there is no beta available for Mac so not sure how thats working for a release date for mac

Can't wait to play this game !!!
__________________
Late 2012 iMac 27" ; 2010 Macbook Pro; iPad 2 ; iPhone 4s
braddicted2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:59 AM   #4
rsnapeuk
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
It won't be available until origin is and that will probably be closer to the release date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddicted2mac View Post
I pre-ordered mine ! I hope that origin gets it right and allows either a Mac or PC download with same serial code to use on either. I will ask that question when and if they have a mac digital download option. I heard there is no beta available for Mac so not sure how thats working for a release date for mac

Can't wait to play this game !!!

Have you had any confirmation that the serial code will work on Mac version?
__________________
iPhone 5S (16GB Gold) Macbook Pro (Mid '12) 1TB 2.9GHz 8GB iMac (Mid '11) 500GB 2.5GHz 4GB
rsnapeuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:00 AM   #5
Solomani
macrumors 65816
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnapeuk View Post
Have you had any confirmation that the serial code will work on Mac version?
In EA's Origin store, they sell their DVDs as Mac/PC hybrid disks for all of their The Sims 3 games and expansions. However.... in that same Origin store, notice that the Digital Downloads (for the same TS3 products) are only available to PC gamers.

Just something I noticed....


** Frankly I think they got it totally backwards. It is the Mac users that have already been forced by Apple into the Digital Download Age. Hell, most new Macs (iMacs, laptops, etc) don't even come with frikkin CD/DVD drives any more. So Apple users are actually the first segment of the computing population being "pushed" into the Buy-All-Your-Software-From-The-Internet Age. So it makes sense that any digital download stores should be targeted to Mac software buyers. Instead, Electronic Arts has it all backasswards. They are only giving Mac users the option to order/buy retail DVD disks.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
rsnapeuk
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
In EA's Origin store, they sell their DVDs as Mac/PC hybrid disks for all of their The Sims 3 games and expansions. However.... in that same Origin store, notice that the Digital Downloads (for the same TS3 products) are only available to PC gamers.

Just something I noticed....


** Frankly I think they got it totally backwards. It is the Mac users that have already been forced by Apple into the Digital Download Age. Hell, most new Macs (iMacs, laptops, etc) don't even come with frikkin CD/DVD drives any more. So Apple users are actually the first segment of the computing population being "pushed" into the Buy-All-Your-Software-From-The-Internet Age. So it makes sense that any digital download stores should be targeted to Mac software buyers. Instead, Electronic Arts has it all backasswards. They are only giving Mac users the option to order/buy retail DVD disks.

That's ****ing ridiculous..
__________________
iPhone 5S (16GB Gold) Macbook Pro (Mid '12) 1TB 2.9GHz 8GB iMac (Mid '11) 500GB 2.5GHz 4GB
rsnapeuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
richardisfamous
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
It's been delayed for Mac....I'd imagine we may see it in April/May because it's a full port of the game (which is kind of exciting) but in the meantime, Bootcamp!

https://twitter.com/oceanquigley/sta...00823403360256

Last edited by richardisfamous; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
richardisfamous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:53 AM   #8
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Wait...

Is this an actual port to OpenGL? Like, an honest-to-god MACH-O binary that loads up under OS X without an emulation layer?

Or has it been delayed so Transgaming can get their act together and fix Cider for the Nth time so it just barely runs well enough that they can say "OMG Mac port!" again?

-SC
__________________
2010 Mac Pro (MacPro5,1), 2*2.93ghz, 64GB, 4x2TB, Apple RAID Card, 5970 GPU, 2xSD, Eizo CG276W
ScottishCaptain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:16 AM   #9
81Steven
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I would to know too
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10
doh123
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
The developers have said its a native version, and not a Cider port... but it will be available a bit later than the Windows version.

I don't have any problems waiting a few months.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Simcity has been developed for mac from the start. It will be native more than likely.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768 | Black 32GB iPhone 5 | Apple TV | 160GB iPod Classic
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:49 AM   #12
81Steven
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Origin alpha out for test on osx
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
65 for a PC game? Sod that!
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 AM   #14
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat jez View Post
65 for a PC game? Sod that!
When you consider the amount of money that needs to go into the servers and simulation on their end its fair. 90% of the people are going to steal the game anyways.

An iphone game had to be shut down because of this. They didn't have the money to handle the servers because so many non legit players.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768 | Black 32GB iPhone 5 | Apple TV | 160GB iPod Classic
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
You'll be able to get it for a lot less. It's $40 on Amazon ($60 w/ $20 Amazon gift certificate) right now. I'd get it but we still have no confirmation whether buying the PC version gets you the Mac version.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:07 PM   #16
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
When you consider the amount of money that needs to go into the servers and simulation on their end its fair. 90% of the people are going to steal the game anyways.

An iphone game had to be shut down because of this. They didn't have the money to handle the servers because so many non legit players.
yeah, but this EA, I don't trust them to pull those servers in the future. If it doesn't have a single player, stand alone mode, I'm not interested. For that I'd pay 35 tops.
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat jez View Post
yeah, but this EA, I don't trust them to pull those servers in the future. If it doesn't have a single player, stand alone mode, I'm not interested. For that I'd pay 35 tops.
It doesn't have a single player stand alone mode. Online all the time. Thus the issue without getting the money to ensure the servers are up and running.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768 | Black 32GB iPhone 5 | Apple TV | 160GB iPod Classic
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:49 PM   #18
jedolley
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
In EA's Origin store, they sell their DVDs as Mac/PC hybrid disks for all of their The Sims 3 games and expansions. However.... in that same Origin store, notice that the Digital Downloads (for the same TS3 products) are only available to PC gamers.

Just something I noticed....


** Frankly I think they got it totally backwards. It is the Mac users that have already been forced by Apple into the Digital Download Age. Hell, most new Macs (iMacs, laptops, etc) don't even come with frikkin CD/DVD drives any more. So Apple users are actually the first segment of the computing population being "pushed" into the Buy-All-Your-Software-From-The-Internet Age. So it makes sense that any digital download stores should be targeted to Mac software buyers. Instead, Electronic Arts has it all backasswards. They are only giving Mac users the option to order/buy retail DVD disks.
The reason there are no digital version for Mac games is because they don't have a digital delivery system in place yet. Origin is EA's version of Steam and is currently in Alpha. Once it's launched, you can expect some, most, but probably not all of the digital titles to be available for Mac as well.

So it's not "backasswards" as it's not EA's fault that Apple is pushing the digital distribution. Origin is rather new and the fact we are getting a Mac version is a good thing, and sooner than I would had expected.
jedolley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:55 PM   #19
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
It doesn't have a single player stand alone mode. Online all the time. Thus the issue without getting the money to ensure the servers are up and running.
**** that then.

I learned my lesson after I bought Diablo 3. I will not be repeating the same mistake.

It was bad enough that the game had Facebook and Twitter integration, and that the actions of other people online could influence stuff in your own city. Pulling out the game logic and making it run server side is the last straw.

**** you EA. You're on my **** list with Blizzard. I'm sure you'll both get along quite fine.

-SC
__________________
2010 Mac Pro (MacPro5,1), 2*2.93ghz, 64GB, 4x2TB, Apple RAID Card, 5970 GPU, 2xSD, Eizo CG276W
ScottishCaptain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 PM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Retail DVD version is currently PC only too.

I cancelled my pre-order as I had assumed it would be Mac/PC but seeing as they delayed the mac version it will no longer be included on the disc, and may not won't work with PC serial.

Will wait for the native mac version, but will kick myself if it turns out to be a shoddy port (poor performance compared to PC version).
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:56 PM   #21
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I just got an email for the beta? Open beta or did I get lucky?
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:03 AM   #22
IllmasterMath
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
I just got an email for the beta? Open beta or did I get lucky?
Closed beta! I didn't get in... Anyone with a spare code?
IllmasterMath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #23
braddicted2mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
I got in too.. Taking forever for the damn to play !!! opened it 40 minutes ago !! im going to have a nap so I can play it in an hour !!!
__________________
Late 2012 iMac 27" ; 2010 Macbook Pro; iPad 2 ; iPhone 4s
braddicted2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
First impressions of the beta: hurry up, March.

Second impressions: yes, the complexity is still there. The way you can make addons to buildings is really neat. The data visualization and region gameplay are going to be awesome. My main concern now is difficulty. I was raking in the dough with little effort.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the art direction is good. I hope they offer high-res texture pack for machines that can handle it.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 AM   #25
braddicted2mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
went from 11- 18 % since last post at that rate ill be playing by 2pm ARG !!
__________________
Late 2012 iMac 27" ; 2010 Macbook Pro; iPad 2 ; iPhone 4s
braddicted2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC