Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

How do I upload single photos from iPhoto/Aperture to Dropbox

How would I export/upload individual pictures from a iphoto or aperture library to dropbox for photo sharing? I know that with aperture you can setup a facebook or flickr account for photo sharing. Do either of them have a dropbox plugin?

I don't want to put my entire library up there just individual photos
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Just drag the picture from within iPhoto into you Dropbox folder?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Just drag the picture from within iPhoto into you Dropbox folder?
Yeah but iphoto/aperture have a automated way builtin where you can share to facebook and flickr. Without having to log into your account in a web browser and uploading. This is what I am looking to do. I would like to upload directly to my dropbox account from within iphoto or aperture....can it be done?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendedFrog View Post
Yeah but iphoto/aperture have a automated way builtin where you can share to facebook and flickr. Without having to log into your account in a web browser and uploading. This is what I am looking to do. I would like to upload directly to my dropbox account from within iphoto or aperture....can it be done?
Well you can't hit an upload button within iPhoto but if do you have dropbox installed on your Mac? I would have thought opening that up in finder and dragging a pic in would be easy enough?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well you can't hit an upload button within iPhoto but if do you have dropbox installed on your Mac? I would have thought opening that up in finder and dragging a pic in would be easy enough?
Sure that is easy enough but that then doubles the amount of space being used on my computer. I now have the picture contained within the iphoto or aperture library plus in my dropbox folder vs just having the picture in the library and uploading it to the cloud. See where I am trying to go with this?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
mabaty
macrumors member

No matter the method you use, If it is accessible via dropbox the photo is taking up space somewhere, including your computer if Dropbox is installed. There is no native way to upload to Dropbox from Aperture or iPhoto except to save to, copy to, or drag to.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:15 AM   #7
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

This is pretty cool...

http://www.maclife.com/article/howto...d_google_drive

Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have seen that but again that is moving the entire library to dropbox. Not really what i am looking to do. I guess the only way is to make an additional copy of the picture within the dropbox folder on my computer and have it sync up to the cloud. Seems like a cumbersome process.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Here is my new idea. I am now thinking of using Picasa to manage my pictures...since it just references my pictures instead of moving them into a separate library. But my dropbox account has way more storage than a standard picasa account, so I am still looking for a dropbox plugin. So, new question....does picasa have a plugin to allow for a one-step upload to dropbox?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Providing the people that you want to share your photos with have an iOS device running iOS 6 or a Mac running mountain lion - Photo Steam has the ability to select photos and share them to share them to people that you specify. That way the sync is automatic and there is no additional storage overhead.

Only snag is the other party needs an iOS 6 device or is running Mountain Lion.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner View Post
Providing the people that you want to share your photos with have an iOS device running iOS 6 or a Mac running mountain lion - Photo Steam has the ability to select photos and share them to share them to people that you specify. That way the sync is automatic and there is no additional storage overhead.

Only snag is the other party needs an iOS 6 device or is running Mountain Lion.
I have never been a fan of photostream. Only because up until ios 6 you couldn't control what photos were being streamed. There has to be a way to have a photo management program on a mac and be able to upload a single photo when needed within the program to some place other than facebook or flickr.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #12
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendedFrog View Post
I have never been a fan of photostream. Only because up until ios 6 you couldn't control what photos were being streamed. There has to be a way to have a photo management program on a mac and be able to upload a single photo when needed within the program to some place other than facebook or flickr.
I had a little test with Photostream and it appears to work pretty well, you can even create a public website, so that non Mac Users can be given a link and download the photos that they want. If it is family and friends that you want to share photo's with then Photostream looks like a good option.

To the best of my knowledge there is no plugin that will allow you to upload your photo's to dropbox directly from iPhoto or Aperture. You would need to export to the dropbox folder on your Mac. I presume you don't use a dropbox folder on your Mac and just use the Web service, because even if you moved a photo directly to dropbox, it would sync back to your Mac anyway.

I guess this is why no one has created a plugin to do this, because most people that use Dropbox will use the Mac App and have a dropbox folder, and hence having an automated upload is a little pointless.

Last edited by James Craner; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

In case anyone is wondering, Adobe Lightroom is able to do this. There is a dropbox plugin that allows for direct upload to the photos folder in your dropbox account. You can create individual folders, sync multiple photos, and even get public links without leaving lightroom. Plus, lightroom references my photos and doesn't create a second library. Exactly what I have been looking for.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Dudster
macrumors newbie

Just getting started with aperture and dropbox.
How to you just drag photo to dropbox?
Dudster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store