Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Anyone else have a Samsung smart TV and Cox cable?
I've got the app to open and everything looks fine, but when I play a movie or show it says, "Sorry, this video cannot be played at is time."

It always does this and it's pretty annoying and HBO won't even reply to me.

I've also tried to AirPlay from iPad to Apple TV, but it only streams audio. Yes, my software/firmware is all up to date.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Probably something up with your app. I don't think your tv would have anything to do with the HBO services. I have a Samsung tv and my HBO and HBO GO work fine.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Probably something up with your app. I don't think your tv would have anything to do with the HBO services. I have a Samsung tv and my HBO and HBO GO work fine.

I don't even have the option to delete the app? You know of any?

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
From the phone or tv? From the tv I don't, sorry :(

Unfortunately from the TV.
HBO just emailed me back and said they are aware of the problem and said Samsung is working in it. Sucks cause looking online this bug has been unfixed since 2011.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Unfortunately from the TV.
HBO just emailed me back and said they are aware of the problem and said Samsung is working in it. Sucks cause looking online this bug has been unfixed since 2011.

Damn, that definitely sucks. If you are using HBO Go though, that means you have the HBO service. Is there something specific you are trying to watch and don't have DVR?

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Damn, that definitely sucks. If you are using HBO Go though, that means you have the HBO service. Is there something specific you are trying to watch and don't have DVR?

Nothing specific, but the app is just super convenient.
Almost 90% of shows I watch is HBO series and on demand doesn't have nearly as much content as the app. Game of Thrones, Girls, Entourage, Oz

I'm always on the ipad app which I don't mind, but it'd be nice to watch it on my 55" LED instead of on the 9.7" ipad.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Nothing specific, but the app is just super convenient.
Almost 90% of shows I watch is HBO series and on demand doesn't have nearly as much content as the app. Game of Thrones, Girls, Entourage, Oz

I'm always on the ipad app which I don't mind, but it'd be nice to watch it on my 55" LED instead of on the 9.7" ipad.

You could get an adapter for the iPad to HDMI and watch it that way

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone else have a Samsung smart TV and Cox cable?
I've got the app to open and everything looks fine, but when I play a movie or show it says, "Sorry, this video cannot be played at is time."

It always does this and it's pretty annoying and HBO won't even reply to me.

I've also tried to AirPlay from iPad to Apple TV, but it only streams audio. Yes, my software/firmware is all up to date.

Just for my clarification- If you have a TV and cable, along with an HBO subscription, why would you need HBO Go on your TV? Or are you trying to get it to work on another device?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Just for my clarification- If you have a TV and cable, along with an HBO subscription, why would you need HBO Go on your TV? Or are you trying to get it to work on another device?

HBO Go has a ton of movies and series on demand that aren't available on cable.

Plus the portable device thing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
HBO Go has a ton of movies and series on demand that aren't available on cable.

Plus the portable device thing.

Just to clarify some more, more content available on the HBO Go app that are not available via the HBO On Demand provided through cable? Interesting. I'll have to see if it's available on Roku...

Update: It is! It started fine on Roku. I'll check it out.

Last edited:

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Yeah, so I just bought a Roku for is specific reason. Not the cheapest solution, but Plex is a nice bonus too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.