Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Macthemes.net ... Gone?

I used this website/forum for themes and creating/requesting themed icons!

Are there any altenratives now that Macthemes.net seems to have (sadly) gone offline?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Krafty
macrumors 601

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=40
Seems like it.

There is dbarevolution, which almost went through the same thing when an admin abruptly shut down the original dbar forums and the former members resurrected it. Only thing is there isn't any OS X customizations and its mostly private themes (you have to go through a "process" to gain access to the themes area).

Perhaps, more activity can spark a little in the iOS department over there.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=40
Seems like it.

There is dbarevolution, which almost went through the same thing when an admin abruptly shut down the original dbar forums and the former members resurrected it. Only thing is there isn't any OS X customizations and its mostly private themes (you have to go through a "process" to gain access to the themes area).

Perhaps, more activity can spark a little in the iOS department over there.
That is tragic! I visited this site a lot. It seemed fairly self-sustaining so I'm sad to see it go.

I don't care for OS X, I'm purely looking for iOS themes!

I'll check it out, thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
That is tragic! I visited this site a lot. It seemed fairly self-sustaining so I'm sad to see it go.

I don't care for OS X, I'm purely looking for iOS themes!

I'll check it out, thanks.
I was active on MT as well. You can also try Iconpaper, but they generally link back to the source. So if the source if from MacThemes, you wont be able to grab it. Some other sites that could aid in your quest for iOS themes:

Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I was active on MT as well. You can also try Iconpaper, but they generally link back to the source. So if the source if from MacThemes, you wont be able to grab it. Some other sites that could aid in your quest for iOS themes:

Thanks again! I hope these can come somewhat close to Macthemes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thanks again! I hope these can come somewhat close to Macthemes
Usually some of the later themes and customizations were cross-posted by the artist from their deviant.

Whats unfortunate is how dominate the Andriod scene is. Thats the only thing about Andriod that I'm jealous of, you can literally do anything you want in regards to customization (which was what my past few themes have been inspired from).

So yeah, I think you will find a majority of the themes on deviant since most of those artist showcase them there.

You can also search dribbble, but I'm not sure as you have to apply to be a member, and its mostly for show. I'm not sure how many release their iOS customizations there.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #7
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

As sad as it is to see one of the greatest theming communities go, one simply can't deny that MacThemes had this coming. The site was practically dead when i visited it the last time!
AlbertEinstein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
As sad as it is to see one of the greatest theming communities go, one simply can't deny that MacThemes had this coming. The site was practically dead when i visited it the last time!
As I stated before, I just wish they had given a weeks warning so we could grab the things we wanted. While I do have saved what I download, and there are those who posted their work on deviant, MT was a clean and easy index.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
Hmm I don't know about dead? They could have heavily simplified it to just iOS, as obviously OS X theming is dead. In addition, it was almost a little too control freaky with the modding. They could have streamlined it more and simplified it to keep it running.

Quote:
As I stated before, I just wish they had given a weeks warning so we could grab the things we wanted. While I do have saved what I download, and there are those who posted their work on deviant, MT was a clean and easy index.
I agree
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hmm I don't know about dead? They could have heavily simplified it to just iOS, as obviously OS X theming is dead. In addition, it was almost a little too control freaky with the modding. They could have streamlined it more and simplified it to keep it running.
From what I gathered in my last few visits (which was up to a day before it went down), it was active in the already active threads, but we didn't see too many new releases. A few people posted in the WIP, but if they weren't still working on it, the project seemed abandoned.

The iOS department was still alive somewhat.

I think it was mostly the case of keeping the servers up and the cost not being worth the small traffic it was bringing in.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:09 PM   #11
shoes222
macrumors member

Hey gang. I've been working on getting a new iOS theming site and repository up, where people can share and download premium-designed themes for their iDevices. I'm not affiliated with the original macthemes site, but was an active member for many years. It's worth a shot trying to bring back and grow the iOS theming community again, and I hope to have it online and ready to go by the time the iOS 6 jailbreak is out! You can PM me for details.
shoes222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #12
gusbemac
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gusbemac Send a message via MSN to gusbemac Send a message via Skype™ to gusbemac
Hello Shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes222 View Post
Hey gang. I've been working on getting a new iOS theming site and repository up, where people can share and download premium-designed themes for their iDevices. I'm not affiliated with the original macthemes site, but was an active member for many years. It's worth a shot trying to bring back and grow the iOS theming community again, and I hope to have it online and ready to go by the time the iOS 6 jailbreak is out! You can PM me for details.
When will it be ready?
gusbemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:38 PM   #13
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

It's a shame, was the owner unable to host it? I have some resources at my disposal to cover the hosting if that was it...
macsrcool1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Wow this is so exciting, thank you for putting this out there. I hope you post here when it's ready to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
It's a shame, was the owner unable to host it? I have some resources at my disposal to cover the hosting if that was it...
Yea, I'm with you. I loved that website, and, having come to realize the probable lacking financial condition, would have contributed!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
shoes222
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbemac View Post
When will it be ready?
I don't want to give a definitive timetable, because there is still a lot of work left to do. But as stated I'm working as hard as possible to have it ready by the time an iOS 6 jailbreak is released.

In terms of the work involved, I've been poring over the archives of macthemes and dbarthemes, trying to pull whatever relevant content I can into the new site. I've also been reaching out to the very talented designers who have contributed themes to the old macthemes site, so they can be an active part of the community moving forward.

I want to make this really nice, and I imagine it'll be roughly another week or two before the site will be open to the public. Thank you all for your support, and I will surely post in this thread when it's ready to go.
shoes222 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:33 PM   #16
kalirob99
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kalirob99
Quote:
I don't want to give a definitive timetable, because there is still a lot of work left to do. But as stated I'm working as hard as possible to have it ready by the time an iOS 6 jailbreak is released.

In terms of the work involved, I've been poring over the archives of macthemes and dbarthemes, trying to pull whatever relevant content I can into the new site. I've also been reaching out to the very talented designers who have contributed themes to the old macthemes site, so they can be an active part of the community moving forward.

I want to make this really nice, and I imagine it'll be roughly another week or two before the site will be open to the public. Thank you all for your support, and I will surely post in this thread when it's ready to go.
It'll be nice to have a themeing site again.
kalirob99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Looking forward to it!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Sad to see it go... I made hundreds of Suave HD icons for MacThemes.net. Perhaps I'll put them on my site as a download pack. Really looking forward to the new site though. Let me know if you need the icons I made.
bwhli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:11 PM   #19
highfiveface
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhli View Post
Sad to see it go... I made hundreds of Suave HD icons for MacThemes.net. Perhaps I'll put them on my site as a download pack. Really looking forward to the new site though. Let me know if you need the icons I made.
If you don't mind!

Can't wait to see the new site too ^.^
highfiveface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:04 AM   #20
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveface View Post
If you don't mind!

Can't wait to see the new site too ^.^
I'll work on it this weekend when I have some time. Hopefully we can get Suave HD up and running again. It was always my favorite theme. By the way, I made much more than hundreds of icons. I just looked in my icons folder, and I actually made 1015 icons. Wow! I definitely did not seem like that many.
bwhli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:11 AM   #21
iMichael!
Banned

Hmm..

They could be down for a update or something.
iMichael! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:05 AM   #22
cdcrowell
macrumors regular

It's back
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:45 AM   #23
fisherking
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcrowell View Post
It's back
good news! (and surprising...thought it was gone for real)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:04 AM   #24
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcrowell View Post
It's back
It's be a good idea to link to it because it doesn't show up on google.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:33 AM   #25
fisherking
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchjay View Post
It's be a good idea to link to it because it doesn't show up on google.
greatplace2be...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks