Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
hmb05
macrumors newbie

Help! Some Macbook Pro keys not working/malfunctioning

Hi,

I am having problems with some of my keys.. from what I can gather they are u j m ; '

When I press these keys either nothing happens/no letters appear on screen or it spits out a couple of symbols or letters like this: "bcvxz adfgs IORTUY ˙∆˚" The ; key will sometimes increase/decrease the sound volume.

Ive opened the show character viewer and it shows that no keys are jammed or anything. (I am using the Australian keyboard if that means anything but I also have the US keyboard checked.. it doesn't make a difference whether only one is checked)

I have been using the character viewer to insert the missing keys otherwise this message would not make much sense.

I haven't spilt anything on the keys and it just seemed to happen randomly when I started using my laptop this morning.

Please help, as yo can iagine this is getting very annoying!

Thanks!
hmb05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
MatLane
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
Sounds like a trip to the Apple Store or reseller is on the cards

Sounds like its a issue with the keys response and placement inside, either that or could be a software fault

These things happen, best to take it to Apple and ask to see what is going on. It'l all be sorted there and then

Hope this helps

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLane View Post

Sounds like its a issue with the keys response and placement inside, either that or could be a software fault

These things happen, best to take it to Apple and ask to see what is going on. It'l all be sorted there and then

Hope this helps
Infact you could try a reformat, if you have a time machine backup or backup of everything....see if that works

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLane View Post

Hope this helps

----------

Infact you could try a reformat, if you have a time machine backup or backup of everything....see if that works

OR try creating another account within accounts / or log into the guest account and see if it does it under them
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
hmb05
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I don't have time machine or a way to backup everything at this stage.

I just tried the guest account and had the same issues so I think a trip to Apple is in order!

Thanks for your help!
hmb05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
M0RPHlNE
macrumors newbie

Did you figure it out?

Did you figure it out? I am having the exact same issues. Same strange outputs. Plus, sometimes closes windows and other weird stuff.
M0RPHlNE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:44 PM   #5
gibkibonzo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPHlNE View Post
Did you figure it out? I am having the exact same issues. Same strange outputs. Plus, sometimes closes windows and other weird stuff.
I'd love to renew that question as I have the same problem now. And with exactly the same keys malfunctioning... 7 ujm ;'
gibkibonzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help