Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmb05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hi,

I am having problems with some of my keys.. from what I can gather they are u j m ; '

When I press these keys either nothing happens/no letters appear on screen or it spits out a couple of symbols or letters like this: "bcvxz adfgs IORTUY ˙∆˚¬" The ; key will sometimes increase/decrease the sound volume.

Ive opened the show character viewer and it shows that no keys are jammed or anything. (I am using the Australian keyboard if that means anything but I also have the US keyboard checked.. it doesn't make a difference whether only one is checked)

I have been using the character viewer to insert the missing keys otherwise this message would not make much sense.

I haven't spilt anything on the keys and it just seemed to happen randomly when I started using my laptop this morning.

Please help, as yo can iagine this is getting very annoying!

Thanks!

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Sounds like a trip to the Apple Store or reseller is on the cards

Sounds like its a issue with the keys response and placement inside, either that or could be a software fault

These things happen, best to take it to Apple and ask to see what is going on. It'l all be sorted there and then

Hope this helps

----------

Sounds like its a issue with the keys response and placement inside, either that or could be a software fault

These things happen, best to take it to Apple and ask to see what is going on. It'l all be sorted there and then

Hope this helps

Infact you could try a reformat, if you have a time machine backup or backup of everything....see if that works

----------

Hope this helps

----------

Infact you could try a reformat, if you have a time machine backup or backup of everything....see if that works

OR try creating another account within accounts / or log into the guest account and see if it does it under them

hmb05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have time machine or a way to backup everything at this stage.

I just tried the guest account and had the same issues so I think a trip to Apple is in order!

Thanks for your help!

M0RPHlNE

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Did you figure it out?

Did you figure it out? I am having the exact same issues. Same strange outputs. Plus, sometimes closes windows and other weird stuff.:mad:

gibkibonzo

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Did you figure it out? I am having the exact same issues. Same strange outputs. Plus, sometimes closes windows and other weird stuff.:mad:

I'd love to renew that question as I have the same problem now. And with exactly the same keys malfunctioning... 7 ujm ;'

beachbum73

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
WHAT? me too!

having issues with my 2014 macbooc pro

keys 789, uio, jkl, m<> dont work.

seems its a block of keys for me .

Nesce

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2019
You probably have "Mouse Keys" enabled. Check "System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Mouse & Trackpad". Can happen if you press the "Option" key 5 times in a row.

(Old thread, but it still shows up when searching for the issue - which I had last night)

WHAT? me too!

having issues with my 2014 macbooc pro

keys 789, uio, jkl, m<> dont work.

seems its a block of keys for me .

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You probably have "Mouse Keys" enabled. Check "System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Mouse & Trackpad". Can happen if you press the "Option" key 5 times in a row.

(Old thread, but it still shows up when searching for the issue - which I had last night)

That would make sense. With Mouse Keys enabled, the keys 7, 8, 9, U, I, O, J, K, L, M, and '.' (period) can be used to control the movement of the mouse pointer and mouse clicking. Also, there are other numbers, letters, and keys cannot be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.