Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM   #1
eric/

Professional Software

I was wondering if there was interest, or if it was a good idea, to perhaps make a professional software subforum. Often times I see people discussing AutoCad or Solidworks on some of the other forums, and sometimes about performance on certain machines.

We have forums dedicated to digital software like photography and video/graphic editing, so it's at least consistent.

If there is enough interest I think it could be a good location since many of us use our computers for our professional lives.

Or perhaps this is bundled somewhere else.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I find the audio and visual media sections pretty vague, so I agree that there could be an additional sections. I always struggle with my Autodesk software, and it would be nice to ask a question here, and I know people around here know this stuff better than me because I always get help in the MacRumors IRC channel.

There's a lot of forums about Autodesk stuff, but they aren't very good for novice users, nor are they Mac friendly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
eric/

I'm glad you agree. I felt foolish posting this, but I'm hoping for a positive response.

It also may not necessarily be exclusive in the sense that it could be a general Mac in the work-place type of forum. People could ask about professional software, but also about hardware for their business and it's applications.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #4
balamw

We tend to get some discussion of some engineering software in the Programming sub-forums.

I think one challenge here would be in defining "professional". For some, Microsoft Office is plenty professional.

B
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
We tend to get some discussion of some engineering software in the Programming sub-forums.

I think one challenge here would be in defining "professional". For some, Microsoft Office is plenty professional.

B
I'm an engineering student myself, and don't really go to the programming subforum at all, so I never would have saw that.

I think Microsoft Office could be inclued in the professional forum. The whole point, ideally, for this forum is that it's a discussion of software used in the professional environment, and for users to discuss merits, demerits, etc...

at least that's my opinion
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:

B
That it is. There is a lot of stuff in Word I would never use, can't say the same about Pages.

I think people know the difference between Office and iWork, Coda vs Dreamweaver, and GarageBand vs Pro Tools.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
balamw

So what threads from Mac Applications and Mac App Store would you exclude from such a forum? A quick glance shows that most of the apps discussed there could be used in some professional setting?!?

B
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:51 PM   #8
eric/

Quote:
So what threads from Mac Applications and Mac App Store would you exclude from such a forum? A quick glance shows that most of the apps discussed there could be used in some professional setting?!?

B
Just looking at the names

I would exclude:

How do I upload single photos from iPhoto/Aperture to Dropbox
App Store down?
Anyone think Apple will being Push Notifications to OSX?
Best utilities for OS X
Give away:Ultimate PDF Converter -- Never Stop
Best for graphic EQ for music?
iPhoto '11 library update problems?
Tuneup Analyse Playlist Tracks Missing
iBooks authors question.
10.6.3 missing/"losing" mouse click; Problem with USB Overdrive?
Genius mix help.
iBooks Fairplay DRM removal
Infuriating iTunes issue.. difficult to summarize.
Can you disable info autofill in iTunes?
Pdf flip page for mac ?
iPhoto not copying 100% of photo's across to external hard drive

etc....

I would include:
Adobe Creative Cloud Compatibility ?
Mac Mail separating accounts
Final Cut Pro X - How do I render?
Formatting problems for emails in Outlook 2011

now of course that is just a quick glance, but hopefully it gives some more insight into my suggestion.

either way, it's just a suggestion. If people like it, cool, if not, no big deal. Just trying to make the sight better organized (at least I think it would be) without hopefully causing too much segregation.
eric/ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
eric/

and it would also include hardware and applications of it in a professional setting

*should my company buy iMacs? yes no maybe why*
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I was wondering if there was interest, or if it was a good idea, to perhaps make a professional software subforum.
This

says: No.

Probably only a small amount of Apple customers uses Macs AND professional software.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
eric/

iPhone/iPad for businesses too

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback