Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:19 PM   #1
06Honda
macrumors regular

Photo Cloning App

I use the basic cloning function in IPHOTO on my MacBook Pro with OS SL. Any suggestions for a decent cloning app that gave give me more specifics and selective functions appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
06Honda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
acearchie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Honda View Post
I use the basic cloning function in IPHOTO on my MacBook Pro with OS SL. Any suggestions for a decent cloning app that gave give me more specifics and selective functions appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
What's your budget?

Photoshop is the obvious option but I realise it's out of reach for a lot of people.

What are you looking to clone out?

Are you changing faces to get the best group shots?

Are you removing power lines/entire sections of the photo?

Are you removing blemishes and skin smooting?
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
06Honda
macrumors regular

Well $100 bucks would work for me. I would use it to clone out things such as branches etc on landscape shots and against a blue sky. See image where I would like to clone out the grass on the snow in this owl shot taken today. IPHOTO has this option but circles only and doesn't do a good enough job so its not noticeable that it was removed.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a

Photoshop Elements or Pixelmator . Elements has either the same or similar clone functions as Photoshop , haven't played too much with Pixelmator , but it's cheap and worth a try .
someoldguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Definitely Photoshop, however Lightroom could also make short work out of the sample you provided. You won't be able to do major retouching in Lightroom like you can in Photoshop but it might fit your needs. You should be able to download a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
06Honda
macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback. I will download a trial and check it out.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:47 AM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Try lots of little circles instead of 1, 2, or 3 big ones. At least that's how I do it in Lightroom if I can't be bothered to kick the image over to Photoshop.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
06Honda
macrumors regular

i'll try that. Too bad they didn't just have brushes etc in IPHOTO. I am sure they can do it, money costs i guess.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

The tools in Photoshop are top notch. Lightroom isn't ment for heavy retouching but it does very well on tasks like you posted.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Lightroom does well at cloning.

I do think they will add content fill to the next version
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:22 AM   #11
acearchie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
Lightroom does well at cloning.

I do think they will add content fill to the next version
Frankly I think compared to the retouch tool in Aperture it is awful however, I prefer Lightroom overall so use that for my digital files and use Aperture for my Analog scans.

Photoshop Elements looks to be your best option as it provides you with another level up from the editing tools found in iPhoto but lets you still keep all your shots organised in iPhoto.
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:54 AM   #12
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Frankly I think compared to the retouch tool in Aperture it is awful however, I prefer Lightroom overall so use that for my digital files and use Aperture for my Analog scans.

Photoshop Elements looks to be your best option as it provides you with another level up from the editing tools found in iPhoto but lets you still keep all your shots organised in iPhoto.
I couldn't compare them. I have up on aperture when I saw te awful GUI bad raw conversions. Slow updates and terrible speed issues. ill have to take your word for it.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:24 AM   #13
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

There's an app that was recently highlighted by one of the blogs. Snap heal or something. It was under $20 and supposedly very good. Poke around based on that.

It is snap heal. And it's $20 off at 9.99

http://www.snapheal.com/

App Store as well. Demo at the site.
h00ligan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography