Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evasquez7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
If you want one, buy one, especially when there are sales around...
Waiting for the next gen might never end, as they will upgrade it again next year, and again the year after that. Ever since I've purchased my rMBP, I have been happy with it and I think it will probably last me 5 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The new chipsets are not due out until April and presumably the new MBPs May/June. I say if you want/need one now, get one.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.

I would wait. In fact I am waiting. While its true that there is always a upgrade around the corner, and playing that waiting game can be endless. But the current rMBP is the first of this model, and they are sure to iron out some of the kinks on the 2nd generation, just as they did with all of their products (IPad, iPhone) From what I've been reading, although there are many happy customers, it seems for some the GPU isn't quite ready for the power hungry retina display, and the Haswell chip might help with that. Who knows what other screws they will tighten, but you can bet that there will be issues addressed. You can also figure that they will include a bigger SSD. For the $2600 we are spending for a base model, incl Ram and tax, 256 gigs seems kinda skimpy

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

I got one week ago. Honestly, it's a screaming machine. I don't care whether they update or not, i'm happy.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Kinda what I said only much more intelligently and more informed. I don't see them upping the Ram either. Why would they max out the Ram on the base model? Not Apple like. Sure would like a custom option for one Ethernet port and one Thunderbolt port.

evasquez7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012

You just convinced me to wait. I absolutely do not need one right now so it's no big deal anyways. Thanks for you're input!

intothepolis

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Pandora
I wouldn't wait. I'm not one to keep waiting for the next big thing. If it suits my needs and some I'd buy it now. The RMBP is pretty future proof anyway.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.

I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

I still freaking hate them.

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

I still freaking hate them.

Can you expain what was wrong?

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon?

Depends how you view 'soon'. I can't see new rev.2 rMBPs being released until after WWDC - so June or July at the earliest. That's still half a year away.

If you can get a current rMBP discounted, I would. I've seen some good prices out there recently.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Can you expain what was wrong?

The hard drive is TERRIBLE, the processor is screwed up, the bottom has been through hell, it was scratched on the ports, and I had to send it back to Best Buy so they can fix an issue with the screen not turning on. After 2 weeks it was sent back to me "fixed".

The screen still would not turn on, meaning they didn't even turn it on.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010

proof? pics of receipt or GTFO

The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Tomorrow is promised to no one , live today like there is no tomorrow and buy it now!:D

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
I am waiting for Haswell. Buying a revision 1 product is stupid anyway. The original retina has a higher chance of having problems. Just look at this forum: fan problems, image retention, etc.

Let those owners be our beta testers and the Haswell mbps will probably much less buggy.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

Adding upgradeable RAM would be working backwards, that is the last thing apple will do on the 2nd Gen rMBP

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012

The whole brouhaha about the Retina not being upgradable in regards to Ram baffles me. Just max t out at purchase at $200 and be done with it. Never think about it again. I would do that long before I would consider paying a extra $600 to go from 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz

----------

I am waiting for Haswell. Buying a revision 1 product is stupid anyway. The original retina has a higher chance of having problems. Just look at this forum: fan problems, image retention, etc.

Let those owners be our beta testers and the Haswell mbps will probably much less buggy.

I've been saying that for months. Didn't buy the first gen iPhone or iPad. Certainly wouldn't spend $2600 on a first gen laptop. But I've been playing with them at the Apple Store. Awesome. Can't wait for June, or July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.