Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
evasquez7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Would I be dumb to buy a 15" Retina MacBook Pro right now?

Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.
evasquez7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
liVec
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
If you want one, buy one, especially when there are sales around...
Waiting for the next gen might never end, as they will upgrade it again next year, and again the year after that. Ever since I've purchased my rMBP, I have been happy with it and I think it will probably last me 5 years.
__________________
rMBP base; iPod classic 4th gen; iPhone 4
liVec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
The new chipsets are not due out until April and presumably the new MBPs May/June. I say if you want/need one now, get one.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
adjeff8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.
I would wait. In fact I am waiting. While its true that there is always a upgrade around the corner, and playing that waiting game can be endless. But the current rMBP is the first of this model, and they are sure to iron out some of the kinks on the 2nd generation, just as they did with all of their products (IPad, iPhone) From what I've been reading, although there are many happy customers, it seems for some the GPU isn't quite ready for the power hungry retina display, and the Haswell chip might help with that. Who knows what other screws they will tighten, but you can bet that there will be issues addressed. You can also figure that they will include a bigger SSD. For the $2600 we are spending for a base model, incl Ram and tax, 256 gigs seems kinda skimpy
adjeff8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
dblissmn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.
dblissmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Wait.
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina 15"
iPhone 6 64GB - Space Gray
TV 3
locoboi187 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.
I got one week ago. Honestly, it's a screaming machine. I don't care whether they update or not, i'm happy.
Ploki is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
adjeff8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblissmn View Post
I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.

Kinda what I said only much more intelligently and more informed. I don't see them upping the Ram either. Why would they max out the Ram on the base model? Not Apple like. Sure would like a custom option for one Ethernet port and one Thunderbolt port.
adjeff8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
evasquez7
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblissmn View Post
I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.
You just convinced me to wait. I absolutely do not need one right now so it's no big deal anyways. Thanks for you're input!
evasquez7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
terriyaki
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
If you need one, get one.

If you don't need one urgently and can wait, then wait.

It's really as simple as that.
__________________
enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
terriyaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:24 PM   #11
intothepolis
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pandora
I wouldn't wait. I'm not one to keep waiting for the next big thing. If it suits my needs and some I'd buy it now. The RMBP is pretty future proof anyway.
intothepolis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:19 AM   #12
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:08 AM   #13
skysailing
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.
I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

I still freaking hate them.
__________________
The average human body contains enough bones to make up an entire human skeleton.
skysailing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Cripps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

I still freaking hate them.
Can you expain what was wrong?
Cripps is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:54 AM   #15
moxxey
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon?
Depends how you view 'soon'. I can't see new rev.2 rMBPs being released until after WWDC - so June or July at the earliest. That's still half a year away.

If you can get a current rMBP discounted, I would. I've seen some good prices out there recently.
moxxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:17 AM   #16
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothepolis View Post
I wouldn't wait. I'm not one to keep waiting for the next big thing. If it suits my needs and some I'd buy it now. The RMBP is pretty future proof anyway.
Well not really, since it can't be upgraded in any way... But I guess if you max everything out in the built-to-order shop it'd be getting there
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:53 PM   #17
skysailing
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
Can you expain what was wrong?
The hard drive is TERRIBLE, the processor is screwed up, the bottom has been through hell, it was scratched on the ports, and I had to send it back to Best Buy so they can fix an issue with the screen not turning on. After 2 weeks it was sent back to me "fixed".

The screen still would not turn on, meaning they didn't even turn it on.
__________________
The average human body contains enough bones to make up an entire human skeleton.
skysailing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
bad idea at full retail, yes

bad idea discounted, depends on your needs/wants/resources
utekineir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 PM   #19
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.
proof? pics of receipt or GTFO


The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
__________________
2014 MBP 15' 2.2/256/16
iPhone 6 128
InfinitiG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Arnezie
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Tomorrow is promised to no one , live today like there is no tomorrow and buy it now!
__________________
15 RETINA 2.6 16GB 256 , iPhone 6 , IPad 2 ATT 64GB
Arnezie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:27 PM   #21
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Yes.

Unless you absolutely need a machine right now.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:32 PM   #22
that1guyy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I am waiting for Haswell. Buying a revision 1 product is stupid anyway. The original retina has a higher chance of having problems. Just look at this forum: fan problems, image retention, etc.

Let those owners be our beta testers and the Haswell mbps will probably much less buggy.
__________________
I have a signature!
that1guyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
kjs862
macrumors 65816
 
kjs862's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I would wait. Lots of talking about graphics problems.
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #24
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
proof? pics of receipt or GTFO


The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
Adding upgradeable RAM would be working backwards, that is the last thing apple will do on the 2nd Gen rMBP
Crzyrio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 PM   #25
adjeff8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
proof? pics of receipt or GTFO


The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
The whole brouhaha about the Retina not being upgradable in regards to Ram baffles me. Just max t out at purchase at $200 and be done with it. Never think about it again. I would do that long before I would consider paying a extra $600 to go from 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyy View Post
I am waiting for Haswell. Buying a revision 1 product is stupid anyway. The original retina has a higher chance of having problems. Just look at this forum: fan problems, image retention, etc.

Let those owners be our beta testers and the Haswell mbps will probably much less buggy.

I've been saying that for months. Didn't buy the first gen iPhone or iPad. Certainly wouldn't spend $2600 on a first gen laptop. But I've been playing with them at the Apple Store. Awesome. Can't wait for June, or July.
adjeff8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Craigslist Buy Macbook Pro 15" Retina Ranchers Buying Tips and Advice 1 May 23, 2014 10:14 PM
Which Macbook Pro Retina 15" to buy? dima-sam MacBook Pro 13 Oct 25, 2013 10:03 AM
Please help me: About to Return 2013 Macbook pro 13" Retina for 2012 15" Retina phillyfan9090 MacBook Pro 22 Aug 21, 2013 10:24 PM
Should I buy the Macbook pro 15" w/Retina display or keep the 27" iMac? gentleman00 Buying Tips and Advice 0 Nov 10, 2012 07:04 PM
Where is the best deal to buy Base Retina 15" Macbook Pro for College Student? nygiants242 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Aug 9, 2012 10:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC