Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #51
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Its a good time to wait.

Apple may very well release the iPhone 5 replacement early. Android competition is forcing Apple to raise its game.

If you need a phone now, AT&T has the 4S for just $100. Its one of Apples best & has great resale value.
What about the resale value of the iphone 5. I already had an iphone4 and to buy the 4s is a downgrade from the android device that I had before and not much of an improvement over my 4.

Ideally I just want to buy a phone and use it for 4 years. I see some people still using the 3GS and it works just fine in 2013
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:43 AM   #52
Tunnelrunner
macrumors regular

I have an iPhone (5) and an Android (Note 2) phone. I love both devices and enjoy switching off between the two (I was actually trying to activate my Note 2 last night but some stupid bug on Verizon's part prevented that from happening).
Between the two, I still prefer iOS over Android - for my needs, it's faster, simpler and easier to use.
Having said that, I still think what you want is the Nexus 4. You said yourself that you prefer the larger screens and the Android OS/UI. I suspect you may become bored/ frustrated with the iPhone 5. BTW, does it have to be a Nexus? There are plenty of Android devices with LTE (like the upcoming S4 for example).
Tunnelrunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 AM   #53
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
What about the resale value of the iphone 5. I already had an iphone4 and to buy the 4s is a downgrade from the android device that I had before and not much of an improvement over my 4.

Ideally I just want to buy a phone and use it for 4 years. I see some people still using the 3GS and it works just fine in 2013
I was suggesting the 4S as a temporary measure. Based on my experience my 4S was much better than my current iPhone 5. The 4S is actually a far better phone than the 4 (I've had them all) and resale on 4S is still strong.

If you expect 4 years of use, that's an even greater reason to wait.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:05 PM   #54
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
I was suggesting the 4S as a temporary measure. Based on my experience my 4S was much better than my current iPhone 5. The 4S is actually a far better phone than the 4 (I've had them all) and resale on 4S is still strong.

If you expect 4 years of use, that's an even greater reason to wait.
For what should I be waiting for? An iphone 5s with bigger screen and a revamped ios7? Or an aluminum android device with great battery life and solid construction?

I don't think I will ever see either of them. And I am also really worried that the iphone 4s won't hold its resale value once the iphone 5s is out. The iphone 5 will probably get me more.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:57 PM   #55
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
1) For what should I be waiting for? An iphone 5s with bigger screen and a revamped ios7?

2) Or an aluminum android device with great battery life and solid construction?

3) I am also really worried that the iphone 4s won't hold its resale value once the iphone 5s is out. The iphone 5 will probably get me more.
1) In the coming months several new Android phones, and a new iPhone will be released. This will provide you with choices that don't exist now.

Traditionally history proves the "S" version of iPhones like 3 to 3S, 4 to 4S, are always better than non S models.

The wildly successful & popular Galaxy S 3 is about to be replaced with the S 4, another phone worth waiting for if you prefer Android.

2) Aluminum was chosen by Apple for style & design continuity with their other products. It dents & scratches easily, since it has no "give" when dropped. That's not a criticism, just a fact. No material is perfect.

Plastic is highly effective & only gets a bad rap here... Because the Android haters choose to act like its the plastics of the 1950's which was far inferior to the plastics of today.

3) I specifically suggested the iPhone 4S as a very good stop gap to get you into a phone now for a mere $99. If you have an upgrade available the minimum you'll pay is $199 for an iPhone 5, whose resale is currently only $60 more than the 4S. An average I get from surveying several sources.

Yet at the end of the day if you don't appreciate the voice of experience from someone who's answering your question and offering a solution, I understand that as well.

Good Luck.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone