Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:48 AM   #1
nukiduz
macrumors 6502

iTunes has two music folders. It's total chaos.

Hi there. I looked for other entries in the forums regarding my problem but none of them answered the questions that I have concerning the chaos my iTunes library is become to.

Since iTunes 11 (I think) there are two folders that contain my music: iTunes Music and iTunes Media/music. The new files that I add to iTunes get stored in the second folder. The thing is: I'd like to delete some of the old songs I have on iTunes (they are stored on the first folder) but I just realized that when I delete them from iTunes, the actual mp3 files don't go into the trash can. I have to look for them in iTunes Music and delete then manually, after I do the same thing on iTunes.

I have learned that I can use the "Consolidate files" options to copy the old files in iTunes Music to iTunes Media/music but I have two problems with this:
1. My iTunes Music folder weighs 140gb and I don't have that free space on my hard drive.
2. All my music is organized in music genres (not smart playlists but manually) and/or in DJ sets. If I get to free 140gb in my HDD, will I get the old files equally organized? Will iTunes show me two entries for (almost) every song? How can I know which to delete?

I hope I made it clear enough (If not, pardon my non-native english) and that some of you could kindly give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
nukiduz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
pockets46
macrumors newbie

Itunes is the most complicated piece of garbage...

After just reading your post about having two music folders I have come to the conclusion after my nightmare of trying to get some eBooks in the Library that iTunes is the most complicated piece fo garbage I have ever used, or 'tried' to use.....someone who was or is mentally ill put this 'thing' called 'itunes' together....its a wreck. Unfortunately ,my wife bought an iPad so I'm stuck with trying to use this junk.
pockets46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
consolidate, folders, itunes