Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Is anyone updating their iOS now since a jailbreak will be released?

I would stay at the most recent firmware before 6.1 for your device (so, 6.0.1/6.0.2).

The developers have not said for sure that the jailbreak will be for 6.1 and not for 6.0.1/6.0.2.

You don't want to make the mistake of upgrading to 6.1 beta 5/GM, having Apple release it to the public, closing the signing window for 6.0.1/6.0.2, then being stuck on 6.1, should the jailbreak be not for 6.1.

It's speculated by interpretation of the tweets that it WILL be for 6.1, but if I were you, I'd rather be safe than sorry!

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Just upgrade to 6.0.2 and sit there till something positive comes out. No need to stay on 6.0.0.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just upgrade to 6.0.2 and sit there till something positive comes out. No need to stay on 6.0.0.

Actually it's stupid to upgrade to 0.2 ATM that we are so close to a new jb release; you gain basically nothing and might risk all the waiting.

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Actually it's stupid to upgrade to 0.2 ATM that we are so close to a new jb release; you gain basically nothing and might risk all the waiting.

The jailbreak is previously confirmed to work on 6.0.2. Nothing has been confirmed for 6.0 itself although it's probably assumed that it would also work. There's no point in not upgrading to 6.0.2. They could close the signing period right after 6.1 releases, and somehow the exploit for 6.1 doesn't work anymore through some random late second fix. If they decide to release it, it will work on 6.0.2. You may as well upgrade to 6.0.2 for the small wifi fix and just for the idea of being up to date. In any case it's a moot point to bicker over.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
If I am still on ios 5 because i don't want to lose my jailbreak, should I go ahead and upgrade now, or would it be safe to wait until a jailbreak is released for sure?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

The jailbreak is previously confirmed to work on 6.0.2. Nothing has been confirmed for 6.0 itself although it's probably assumed that it would also work. There's no point in not upgrading to 6.0.2. They could close the signing period right after 6.1 releases, and somehow the exploit for 6.1 doesn't work anymore through some random late second fix. If they decide to release it, it will work on 6.0.2. You may as well upgrade to 6.0.2 for the small wifi fix and just for the idea of being up to date. In any case it's a moot point to bicker over.

Just because they said they jailbroke 6.0.2 doesn't mean the final release will see all firmwares from 6.0.0 to 6.1 jailbroken on all devices. 6.0.2 jailbreak twitter pictures could have been of a failbreak, not the final release.

Remember, iOS 5 was jailbroken on 5.0.1, but not 5.0.0, and on 5.1.1, but not 5.1.0, on the iPhone 4S.

The jailbreak game is getting trickier thus staying put is likely your best bet. I think it's safe to assume that they will prepare the jailbreak to exploit 6.1, and if not, then 6.0.2, but nothing is set in stone until they say so!

----------

If I am still on ios 5 because i don't want to lose my jailbreak, should I go ahead and upgrade now, or would it be safe to wait until a jailbreak is released for sure?

I would advise being on iOS 6 to at least some extent very soon. If you stay put, you run the risk of missing an applicable signing window and potentially having no iOS 6 jailbreak.

I think we will see the jailbreak within a few days to a few weeks after this coming Friday with 6.1 being released, so you may want to upgrade sooner than later and sacrifice being without a jailbreak for a little while now so you can have one with iOS 6.

Darrent54

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I don't have wifi at home, but I managed to download the actual ipsw file to go on my phone. I just need to know should I use it or not. Ps it's a proper file downloaded via apple. I had plans to update, but reading here I don't know what to do

Darrent54

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Actually I downloaded it a while ago, I don't have wifi at home. Only mobile phone Internet. But I have an app that allows you do download all sorts. Basically I downloaded it, tranafered via iTunes to pc. Then update via that file. Worked a treat. I then was reading about the jb and that it might be out for ios 6.0.1 so I just simply downgraded again. I just kept the file on my machine.

What should I do?? Will jb work with 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 or anything 6.0 after??

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Actually I downloaded it a while ago, I don't have wifi at home. Only mobile phone Internet. But I have an app that allows you do download all sorts. Basically I downloaded it, tranafered via iTunes to pc. Then update via that file. Worked a treat. I then was reading about the jb and that it might be out for ios 6.0.1 so I just simply downgraded again. I just kept the file on my machine.

What should I do?? Will jb work with 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 or anything 6.0 after??

You're mistaken. It's JB for the 6.1 not the 6.0.1.

6.0.2 is confirmed to be jailbroken. But PB isn't releasing something until Apple releases 6.1.

Darrent54

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I know i must be. Is this beta 5 not a hidden Gm release? And is that not what devs were waiting on?

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I'm still on 6.0 (10A405)

I'm not moving before a dev gives a green light, they have always said stay as low as possible, ALWAYS. And they have yet to say update yet. I have all my blobs saved, so updating to any of the higher firmwares than that which I am on and have blobs for should be okay (in theory, did anyone try this yet?).

And here is the verdict!

Tweet from random Chinese guy, planetbeings reply.

Google translate tells us this means:
Mars 3G:
I see you are Chinese, I am very glad to, ah, my English is not so high, do not understand your hair every time by means of software translation. But the technology, so that the Chinese people are very proud. There is also a problem. Want to jailbreak upgrade 6.1 or stick to 6.0.1 it?

Planetbeing:
Do not upgrade now.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I know i must be. Is this beta 5 not a hidden Gm release? And is that not what devs were waiting on?

They are not waiting for the GM release, they are waiting for the public release. Whats the difference? The difference is that the public release is released to the public, often nothing else (identical file).

Why? because apple can push a Beta6 if @evad3rs releases before public release. This is them pleasing the majority, and not the loudest mouthed.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You're mistaken. It's JB for the 6.1 not the 6.0.1.

6.0.2 is confirmed to be jailbroken. But PB isn't releasing something until Apple releases 6.1.

Maybe read all the info again and than you might see that your conclusion is not true. It works on 6.01/6.02 and the 6.1 beta.

Official advise from the devs its NOT to upgrade and stay as low as possible.
Nobody knows what they are releasing it for. Maybe for all those firmwares maybe for 6.1 only.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Maybe read all the info again and than you might see that your conclusion is not true. It works on 6.01/6.02 and the 6.1 beta.

Official advise from the devs its NOT to upgrade and stay as low as possible.
Nobody knows what they are releasing it for. Maybe for all those firmwares maybe for 6.1 only.

Let's see what happens.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Let's see what happens.

That sounds like good advise instead of jumping to conclusions, what if they did only bring it out for 6.01/6.02 and people upgraded to 6.1 because you are "certain" it will be for 6.1 only, be careful with what you advise people, some might be stuck on 6.1 and have to wait for the next JB.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Bet Apple is monitoring this. Wouldn't surprise me if they let some annoying bug be in 6.1 by purpose, let the JB be released for 6.1, and then fix the bug and the JB hole in 6.1.1.

Of course, if the JB guys stay chilly, they would wait a while after 6.1 is released, to make sure it's stable.

/conspiracy

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Bet Apple is monitoring this. Wouldn't surprise me if they let some annoying bug be in 6.1 by purpose, let the JB be released for 6.1, and then fix the bug and the JB hole in 6.1.1.

Of course, if the JB guys stay chilly, they would wait a while after 6.1 is released, to make sure it's stable.

/conspiracy

Apple isn't gonna release a firmware package to the world that requires an update to fix an intentional venerability.

Rosewood23

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Midwest
Thinking of jail breaking my ipad for the first time once an iOS 6 JB appears. Any recommendations for websites to inform me of potential issues to be aware of? iPad should run as normal correct but now with options to run JB tweaks and apps? I should not lose anything currently on my iPad (books, movies etc.)? Thanks for the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.