Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:54 AM   #1
jwatkins1234
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
External HD not Detected

I have a problem with a western digital 1TB external hard drive.

It began when I (stupidly) connected the wrong power lead to the hard drive- as a result the drive could not be powered up.

After reading on various forums that I was not the first to do this I found people had recovered their data by replacing the pcb I did a little research and found a company who could supply a cloned version from my original pcb to make it compatible to my own drive.

I received the new pcb today and when attached to the drive it can be heard to power and spin which is a good sign however my mac book pro is not detecting the drive in finder or in disc utility- after various attempts I did get a short message saying something about not being recognised but this only appeared once of the several times I have connected it.

Can anyone give me some advise on what else I can try to recover the data?

Many thanks,

Joe.
jwatkins1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:58 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatkins1234 View Post
I have a problem with a western digital 1TB external hard drive.

It began when I (stupidly) connected the wrong power lead to the hard drive- as a result the drive could not be powered up.

After reading on various forums that I was not the first to do this I found people had recovered their data by replacing the pcb I did a little research and found a company who could supply a cloned version from my original pcb to make it compatible to my own drive.

I received the new pcb today and when attached to the drive it can be heard to power and spin which is a good sign however my mac book pro is not detecting the drive in finder or in disc utility- after various attempts I did get a short message saying something about not being recognised but this only appeared once of the several times I have connected it.

Can anyone give me some advise on what else I can try to recover the data?

Many thanks,

Joe.
Can you see the device through Disk Utility? Perhaps it needs formatting before you can use it.
__________________
Magnificent Seventh
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 AM   #3
jwatkins1234
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Can you see the device through Disk Utility? Perhaps it needs formatting before you can use it.
Hi- No it does not show in Disk utility either
jwatkins1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatkins1234 View Post
Hi- No it does not show in Disk utility either
In this case, there is still likely something wrong with the external HDD. I'm assuming there is no warranty left on it, right? You may want to double-check all your PCB connections and/or seek another replacement PCB or HDD.

----------

Also double check the PCB part number. I've replaced them on HDD's in the past, and have been sent a similar replacements, but not an exact replacement which didn't work and had to get them to send the correct exact replacement.
__________________
Magnificent Seventh
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC