Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

everytime somebody mentions different screen size options for an iphone, there's always somebody who starts yelling about "poor developers yada yada yada".

reality check for you guys: Nobody gives a ******** about developers. They get paid for what they do. And if they have to make an app for 4 instead of 3 different screen sizes, well boo ******* hoo they'll just have to make it.

this video always comes to my mind when i read posts like that

YouTube: video

I don't think anyone is feeling sorry for developers. The argument is that as development times increase (more resolutions to account for), the quality of apps could potentially decrease and in some cases not make it to the new resolution at all (particularly smaller dev houses).

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Then only thing I find wierd is that in landscaper the keyboard is in the middle and there's big spaces on either side.

iPhone-5-ui-interface-walkthrough-18-jpg.jpg

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
You don't know many of them that switched to iPhone. You are in the minority.

You can tell a lot about a person by what they say. People with higher intellects very rarely if ever use absolutes in their arguments. as an example I said "You may be in the minority", where you said "You are in the minority".

When you use an absolute you paint yourself in a corner with no way out if someone should bring in some facts and figures.

Android was able to grow its market share from 51% to 70% year-over-year, with 152.1 million Android handsets shipped during the quarter. That isn’t bad at all, especially when you consider that only 80.6 million Android handsets were shipped in the year-ago quarter.

Apple, on the other hand, saw shipments rise from 37 million up to 46.8 million, undoubtedly helped along by the launch of the iPhone 5. Despite the jump in shipments, Apple’s market share actually decreased year-over-year, going from 24% to 22%.

Now just in case you also are not very adept at math, 70% is larger than 22%. :D:cool:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You can tell a lot about a person by what they say. People with higher intellects very rarely if ever use absolutes in their arguments. as an example I said "You may be in the minority", where you said "You are in the minority".

When you use an absolute you paint yourself in a corner with no way out if someone should bring in some facts and figures.

Android was able to grow its market share from 51% to 70% year-over-year, with 152.1 million Android handsets shipped during the quarter. That isn’t bad at all, especially when you consider that only 80.6 million Android handsets were shipped in the year-ago quarter.

Geez! Who's checking grammars here.
Apple, on the other hand, saw shipments rise from 37 million up to 46.8 million, undoubtedly helped along by the launch of the iPhone 5. Despite the jump in shipments, Apple’s market share actually decreased year-over-year, going from 24% to 22%.

Now just in case you also are not very adept at math, 70% is larger than 22%. :D:cool:

No comparisons. There are lots of Android headset makers. Of course there are more Android phones shipment. I was talking about how many people switched from iPhone to Android, I said nothing about iPhone shipment or market share.

Last edited:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Worldwide, Android is growing largely on the availability of some very cheap low end smartphones. Apple doesn't even compete in that market. I'm not saying that there are no high end android phones or that Apple isn't losing ground to Samsung and Google.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Love my iPhone for what is. The scrren and colors are great, they don't hurt my eyes. If there was an option for a Note 2 size screen, I'd probably pick the larger screen, but that doesn't make my current phone any less enjoyable. I prefer a larger screen phone and to use iOS, so if they make a large screen version then cool, I'm all over it. But like I said, I still love my iPhone 5 because I can use it and enjoy it right now. :)

Xanderstone12

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
I agree I hate how small this phone is. I had a galaxy before and it was a glitchy peice of junk and everytime I dropped it I giggled a little. I bought a ipad and loved it and then bought a 4 and ow own a 5. I love every single thing about my phone except it is too small. I feel that in a room full of galaxy s3's I have the best phone but only I know it. Anyone would pick the larger screen. I have to use oth hands anyways. I have huge fingers. They really need to get with the times. The apple geeks will insist that the size is just fine but the overwhelming majority of consumers may disagree.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I agree I hate how small this phone is. I had a galaxy before and it was a glitchy peice of junk and everytime I dropped it I giggled a little. I bought a ipad and loved it and then bought a 4 and ow own a 5. I love every single thing about my phone except it is too small. I feel that in a room full of galaxy s3's I have the best phone but only I know it. Anyone would pick the larger screen. I have to use oth hands anyways. I have huge fingers. They really need to get with the times. The apple geeks will insist that the size is just fine but the overwhelming majority of consumers may disagree.

The overwhelming majority of consumers may agree, but I seriously doubt it. There are still many people who prefer the non-phablet. Having said that, I really hope rumors of a 4.7" iPhone are true. I may not even want it, but there are many who do.

Xanderstone12

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
The overwhelming majority of consumers may agree, but I seriously doubt it. There are still many people who prefer the non-phablet. Having said that, I really hope rumors of a 4.7" iPhone are true. I may not even want it, but there are many who do.

I don't know all of the numbers or anything tut I believe sales are down right now for the 5 or at least lower than expected. I hope the success of othe ipad mini helps bring out a different iphone size. It wouldn't hurt to have two different sized phones. Either way for web browsing I hate my iPhones size.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Come on Apple, bring me that 5" iPhone that I already begged from you since last year! Give ur loyal customers choices please! Everyone is different in sizes, so even if one think 4-inch is already too big, a 6ft person would think otherwise! Please make my wish comes true:
- iPhone 5S 4-inch
- iPhone 5S 5-inch
- Polycarbonate iPhone 5S 4.5-inch

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Yet the iPhone 5 was the most sold smartphone last quarter by far, Apple can careless about
android feature phones running Gingerbread, iPhone 5 is killing where it counts

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
No its not. If you want 5" Go to Android, plenty of choices waiting there for you.

Lol

There are tons of Apple iPhone users who insisted over and over that 3.5" was the "perfect" handset size and that it didn't need to change, yet promptly upgraded to the 4" i5 when it was released.

iPhone will one day go to 5", because millions upon millions of people are saying with their wallets that it's what they want.

Have fun staying with your iPhone 5 or 5s forever.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Lol

There are tons of Apple iPhone users who insisted over and over that 3.5" was the "perfect" handset size and that it didn't need to change, yet promptly upgraded to the 4" i5 when it was released.

iPhone will one day go to 5", because millions upon millions of people are saying with their wallets that it's what they want.

You're assuming every person that upgraded from the 3G/4/4S to the current 5 is because of screen size. My wife and son upgraded from the 3G to the 5 because their phones were old, and in need of an update. I did the same going from the 4 to the 5; in need of an update. Had nothing to do with the size of the screen. It's a nice benefit, but not the sole purpose of the update.

If you have numbers to back your claim, please post. I'd be interested...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Lol

I never said 3.5" was enough. I've always been a proponent for 4.3" which i think is the sweet spot. 5" is a waste of time and battery. There's a point where you reach diminishing returns.

This is why i don't own a Galaxy Note or Note II.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Come on Apple, bring me that 5" iPhone that I already begged from you since last year! Give ur loyal customers choices please! Everyone is different in sizes, so even if one think 4-inch is already too big, a 6ft person would think otherwise! Please make my wish comes true:
- iPhone 5S 4-inch
- iPhone 5S 5-inch
- Polycarbonate iPhone 5S 4.5-inch

If Apple's past pattern is any indication, we won't see a redesigned 5(S) this year. Next year (2014) is when we can expect that. Will it be larger over-all or just thinner with the same size screen? October 2014 is light-years away. You could buy a 4.8-5" smartphone from another maker and almost run a 2 year contract out by then.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
I'm pretty sick about it too. But to be ensured that the iPhone 6 will have that larger screen I really can't complain.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Am I sick of it? Eh, no. Do I feel there are almost no advantages over this 3.5" screen? Absolutely. I don't expect Apple to stay 4" forever, but I also don't expect them to change things up again a short year after introducing their first screen size bump in history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.