Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:49 AM   #26
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
That won't happen nor should it. I have a nexus and iOS is still better overall. There are some nice things about Android but it requires too much time. And really all thus customization people speak of is very few things. The entire OS is dell over the place. You have to remember settings and menus for what seems every app.

iOS won't change drastically, it's just not going to happen. Looks at osx. I'm sure well see some things that make it smoother and more efficient but a new face for it. Not going to happen and it shouldn't.
Yea I know it want happen. That is the problem. Apple can't keep selling to soccer moms and hope they upgrade every 2 years. Us tech people buy every year and we are looking for something new. Why do you say iOS does not need a new face? Have you seen the reports about the iPhone 5 manufacturing being slowed down? Now I know no one knows why apple is doing this, but every one has a pretty good guess. iOS just is not new and the best any more. I know there are people like you that would never want to see something new in the way of the face of iOS, but just look at the numbers. I Know apple want change anything, and some people are fine with that. I just don't think apple and iOS can last for the long run without some change. iOS 7,8, and most likely 9 we won't see it, but if apple wants a piece of the smartphone pie they better get working.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:02 AM   #27
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
Yea I know it want happen. That is the problem. Apple can't keep selling to soccer moms and hope they upgrade every 2 years. Us tech people buy every year and we are looking for something new. Why do you say iOS does not need a new face? Have you seen the reports about the iPhone 5 manufacturing being slowed down? Now I know no one knows why apple is doing this, but every one has a pretty good guess. iOS just is not new and the best any more. I know there are people like you that would never want to see something new in the way of the face of iOS, but just look at the numbers. I Know apple want change anything, and some people are fine with that. I just don't think apple and iOS can last for the long run without some change. iOS 7,8, and most likely 9 we won't see it, but if apple wants a piece of the smartphone pie they better get working.
Apple shouldn't change for change sake.

When Apple comes up with an idea that is simpler and easier than a grid of icons, then they will do it.

What shouldn't happen, and luckily there is some very talented people at Apple that won't let it happen, is doing new things just because they are new. Just adding a new layer of options, you know, just adding quick toggles to notification center because it kind of makes sense, not because it makes the OS better.

Making the OS better would be getting rid of such settings, and having the phone manage itself, leaving the user to use the phone, not manage it. I think this is a more appealing direction to go in. Don't worry about turning off WiFi and Bluetooth 4 or 5 timse a day, let the phone do these things without the user ever even realising. Thats the future, I think.

I want to see change, but I think it will go in the direction or less is more. Less options, less clutter, less on screen, more simple.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:05 AM   #28
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020
 
Appl3FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
drop tests in youtube tell a wayyy different story.
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 AM   #29
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Apple should hire him/her as this was pretty cool albeit some features are over the top, but nonetheless it was cool
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:27 AM   #30
stevensr123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
To be honest even I thought some of the steps to do something seemed a bit over the top.

For the settings/toggles just use a swipe gesture like Tap, hold and swipe the left to get to customised quick settings. Or use the notification centre.

Quick setting changes and widgets with an improvement to siris capabilities and a few Other ui and app changes, and I would be a happy man.

Oh and greater use of the ipads bigger screen such as side by side apps etc

That said, I'm probably not going back to an iPhone simply because I love the big screen of my Samsung gs3, so I'm mainly concerned about the ipad.
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:27 AM   #31
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
A little chaotic, but at least someone is trying to make iOS less outdated.

----------



This. iOS feels like a joke, that they make you go through so many menus to access settings that people use dozens of times per day. Also I don't like how when you go to, say, enable or disable wifi, when you try to slide it often times it just moves the page up or down not registering the horizontal swipe. Should be integrated into the pulldown, although that is probably infringing on Android or at least TouchWiz.
why do you disable and enable wifi dozens of times a day?
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:32 AM   #32
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Apple shouldn't change for change sake.

When Apple comes up with an idea that is simpler and easier than a grid of icons, then they will do it.

What shouldn't happen, and luckily there is some very talented people at Apple that won't let it happen, is doing new things just because they are new. Just adding a new layer of options, you know, just adding quick toggles to notification center because it kind of makes sense, not because it makes the OS better.

Making the OS better would be getting rid of such settings, and having the phone manage itself, leaving the user to use the phone, not manage it. I think this is a more appealing direction to go in. Don't worry about turning off WiFi and Bluetooth 4 or 5 timse a day, let the phone do these things without the user ever even realising. Thats the future, I think.

I want to see change, but I think it will go in the direction or less is more. Less options, less clutter, less on screen, more simple.
I am not saying change it just because. I say the OS needs a new look. Sure what they have works, but so do the other smartphone companies. That does not stop them from trying new things. Apple did not get were they are with the iPhone and ipad by playing it safe, and they can't move forward without taking some chances. Do you really think people would not buy something from apple even if iOS completely looked different. People will buy the iPhone 4 then buy the iPhone 4S just because it has an apple on the back. Apple sells by there name, and people trust that they know what they are doing. If they change it people will buy it.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 AM   #33
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
I am not saying change it just because. I say the OS needs a new look. Sure what they have works, but so do the other smartphone companies. That does not stop them from trying new things. Apple did not get were they are with the iPhone and ipad by playing it safe, and they can't move forward without taking some chances. Do you really think people would not buy something from apple even if iOS completely looked different. People will buy the iPhone 4 then buy the iPhone 4S just because it has an apple on the back. Apple sells by there name, and people trust that they know what they are doing. If they change it people will buy it.
Let's agree to disagree.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 AM   #34
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Let's agree to disagree.
That is fine. I am sure that there tons of people that think the same as you. I a apple fan I have an iphone 5, ipad 2, and a MacBook. I am just scared things are not moving forward enough and apple is going to continue to slip. I just don't want them to become just another company that everyone forgets about. I came to love apple because it thought outside the box. I just want to see more of that.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:01 PM   #35
Hawtin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Well I loved your concept, and would kill for a UI like that.

Shame it'll take apple another 8 years to get to it
Hawtin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 PM   #36
longhorns172006
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Apple is at a disadvantage.

They release one phone, once a year. How many products did Samsung release last year? HTC? Apple does not have the luxury to test changes on different phones. I love apple and have been a user for 4 years now getting the non-"s" models. I have two upgrades available this summer to plans on my account and I'm gonna use one for the s4 just to try it out them I will most likely sell it and buy the next iPhone.

People like change but apple likes things to work and does a great job at trying to get things right before they release it...well most of the time(antennagate/apple maps)
longhorns172006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:51 PM   #37
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
That's a bit too complex, maybe not for me, but the majority of people I would say.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
iMichael!
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
It looks amazing!

We should mass email Apple with the links!
iMichael! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:50 PM   #39
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
why do you disable and enable wifi dozens of times a day?
AT&T has "unlimited data" but it tops out at 5GB then it throttles. That means every time I leave a WiFi area I want to turn it off to save battery and turn it back on. When I said dozens of times I was more referring to brightness which I adjust frequently. Turning off and on GPS a lot too when I'm out vs staying in the same place for a few hours. The fact that they are easily accessible is genius. You know the notification pulldown in iOS? Imagine quick settings sitting on top of that, that's all it is.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 8 Concept Video Features Siri with Shazam, iWatch-Synced Healthbook App MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 35 Apr 29, 2014 02:27 PM
iOS 8 Concept Video Features Unified Interface for Control Center and Multitasking MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 71 Feb 25, 2014 12:53 PM
My iOS Concept I posted in March compared to iOS 7 Beta 1 ajvizzgamer101 iOS 7 13 Jun 15, 2013 06:20 AM
iOS 6 Concept Video samjohnbeck iOS 6 58 Sep 12, 2012 01:38 AM
iOS concept video (a good and non-radical one) bernaferrar iOS 5 and earlier 0 Jul 21, 2012 08:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC