Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I thought this form-factor wouldn't work on a large iPad. I thought the reasoning for the larger bezel was so you had somewhere to put your thumbs. Wasn't this something that Apple identified as a shortcoming of the competitors tablets?They all had thin bezels and it made them awkward to hold/use. Does that not matter anymore? Can the iPad mini touchscreen distinguish the difference between a touch and a resting palm/thumb?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

There is no point to a higher res screen when the lion's share of apps are designed for a phone.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
What about scratching? Several iPhone 5 owners that I know REALLY hate how beat up their phones look. Does the mini suffer from the same thing? And would this?

I just picked up a White iPad (4th Gen) recently, and I like back / edges. Doesn't feel too heavy, and i think the bezels are great actually. I'd really have to be convinced that this new design is superior (for other reasons besides weight or specs).

kingumikti

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
weight

I wonder what it will weigh?

Before I bought an iPad mini, I compared its weight with the full size iPad (about half!) and that is what sold me on the mini.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
What about scratching? Several iPhone 5 owners that I know REALLY hate how beat up their phones look. Does the mini suffer from the same thing? And would this?

I just picked up a White iPad (4th Gen) recently, and I like back / edges. Doesn't feel too heavy, and i think the bezels are great actually. I'd really have to be convinced that this new design is superior (for other reasons besides weight or specs).

The pointed edges on the previous iPad were the one thing I hated about it. The other area for major improvement is the weight. Looks like the next design will address both these things, so I'm happy. I'll probably get a white one so it doesn't show scuffs and scratches so much.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
It may have been mentioned before, but the lettering on the purported iPad 5 is incomplete and looks as if it has been retouched or something. Non?

I noticed that as well. I suppose it's possible that it's real but they used Photoshop to remove the serial number etc to hide where it came from.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I thought this form-factor wouldn't work on a large iPad. I thought the reasoning for the larger bezel was so you had somewhere to put your thumbs. Wasn't this something that Apple identified as a shortcoming of the competitors tablets?They all had thin bezels and it made them awkward to hold/use. Does that not matter anymore? Can the iPad mini touchscreen distinguish the difference between a touch and a resting palm/thumb?
Which competitor larger tablets have thin bezels? :confused:

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
"virtually no left or right bezels"? How would you hold a 10 inch screen then? You stop holding it, you place it on a desk when you need to use it and we made it so thin that you cannot find it.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
This.

If this comes in March, big IF. It'll still have A6X.

But with a smaller case, they've had to have made some major new evolution of battery technology... or we'll be looking at a 6-8hr battery life iPad, and Apple's not going to make that sacrifice.

Or they have significantly improved the A6X power consumption, or maybe even a bit of both.

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Wasn't this something that Apple identified as a shortcoming of the competitors tablets?

Hah. I forgot about this. It was from Job's last keynote wasn't it? In reality, I find my thumb is often a good half inch into the screen on my iPad 4 when holding it by the smart cover, just to stop the magnet pulling off and the damn thing shattering to little pieces on the floor...

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'm a super heavy user obviously (note my signature...) but I skipped the iPad 4 as a good but not overly compelling upgrade from my 3. This 5 mockup however is definitely my next purchase. 128GB black for me please...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
lol... people really call it that ?

Thinner is lightweight..... but then you also have more heat problems...

Its like a bloody scale..... Gold, or no gold.

Apple people prefer to be rich.

I got a chance to look at the new iMac, the 21.5" model. It was in a Best Buy store. When I put my hand on the back of the screen, it felt extremely cool. I could not find one spot on the back where it felt hot. Maybe this is not the case when using graphic intensive programs. My 27" iMac get hot all the time, except when it is sleeping.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
How much more different do you want it to be? I don't see where they can take this design any further and keep it functional for most people.

Although I'd love to see a bezel-less iPad (I hold mine like a painter's palette most of the time, negating the bezels), I can see the necessity for the top and bottom bezels for the camera and home button.

The form factor is basically mature at this point; however this is a significant change in design for the full size iPad, despite the fact we've seen it in the iPad mini. Is that what you meant?

at this point...speed is useless. ipad needs to be more useful rather than being a toy. Thin and small isn't cutting it...except those who have weak arms.
I expected apple to be more honest about themselves and start thinking about how to make ipad more effective. Why can't ipad be ipad with phone capability or something ..i don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.