Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Hmmm. You might want to take a deep breath. No one is calling you a loser. Or a fan boy. Why you think anyone that debates pricing/functionality, etc automatically is an Android user is beyond me. And resorting to the "I never visit an Android site..." is cliche.

Why so angry?

I was beat as a child by a Samsung phone user

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
:eek: 128Gig

As always, going forward, there is no point making a 128Gig iPad 3 :) although i'd buy one in a heart beat,, My 16Gig is getting a bit full...

I hate using adapters and carrying two cables round, one for iPhone 4s and the other for iPad 4 (so this is my reason for not upgrading)

Whats yours ? ...... j/k.

128Gig still sounds good...

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Agreed. That right there is the reason why I think the mini 2 will not have retina.

They'll wait until the mini 3 as a differentiation mechanism.

but they can also have a mini 2 as a retina and raise the price to $399 (this bridges the gap to the low end ipad and may increase their gross margins).

buddy45va

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Watching a business channel earlier this morning, and the topic of tech stocks came up. The reporter mentioned the new 128Gb ipad, but also said that it would have a different screen...she said "a new high res." screen. Just curious if that was true. I have not seen any other mention of specs, other than the storage increase.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm of the increasing opinion: spec sheets are, when used for primary advertising, excuses for inadequacy.

Spoken like a true Apple fan.

When the specs are favorable to Apple, tout 'em. When the specs are unfavorable, discount or dismiss them.

It reminds me of the old days of G4/G5 vs. Intel CPUs. "Mhz doesn't matter", etc. Intel was only "inferior" until Apple announced the switch. Then, Intel was superior almost overnight. Did the G5 change? Did Intel suddenly change? No... Apple decided to flip flop on the long-standing argument that the G-series was superior to Intel.

Or when :apple:TV was capped at 720p. "I can't see the <1080p> difference", "until national bandwidth is expanded...", the chart, "crash the whole internet", etc until Apple rolled out 1080p and then all that evaporated overnight.

Or when iPad 1 launched without a front-facing camera. "Why would anyone want that?", "how could I possibly hold it stable enough for Skype?", "who wants to be looking up my nose when I talk to them?", "it would be stupid to want an isight camera in an iPad", etc. Then, Apple rolls out iPad 2 with "facetime" and we gush, "shut up and take my money", "I'm already in line", "credit card is ready", etc.

Patent law is stupid when it works against Apple. Patent law is excellent- "Die Samsung Die" when it "protects Apple IP... as it should" and similar.

We're such a fair weather group here. If it's good for Apple, we're all for it. If it's bad for Apple, we dismiss it, discount it, pretend it doesn't matter, make fun of it, even try to change the argument to something else, etc. Do we all have careers in PR and Marketing?

Hardware specs are as important to an overall system as software specs. Better is better. Ferociously exceptional software running on crappy hardware is yielding a lessor experience than running that same software on better hardware. We whine with every Mac release that it didn't have the latest graphics card or the latest CPU, etc but then we'll spin how specs shouldn't matter when Apple is on the wrong end of that comparison with another Apple product. Pick a side and stick with it on both the sunny and rainy days.

Last edited:

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Hahahaha margins are slumping, and the best selling ipad is the new mini. Perfect time to release an $800 version.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
but they can also have a mini 2 as a retina and raise the price to $399 (this bridges the gap to the low end ipad and may increase their gross margins).

Good point. Still, their margins were narrow this last quarter, reportedly due to new hardware like the mini. Unless the retina implementation reduces cost and/or sales drop, I see them milking it one more cycle (as they usually do).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Are you enjoying that Samsung Chromebook?

Well I haven't hit anyone with it yet - so I haven't gotten the full potential out of it, have I? ;)

Good question. I have to say that for what it is (just like the iPad) it does a great job. So far I've been able to watch movies, edit documents, surf, email, pull up the webcam in the nursery, etc. For what I spent (got it for $199) I have to say it was money well spent. It definitely can't do everything I would want in a laptop. But it's not a laptop. I wish that that even Microsoft would allow track changes via their webapp. It's the one feature I really need that eludes every platform but actually owning office and having it installed on a device (vs apps, cloud, etc).

The chromebook has gotten more use than my iPad lately too just because it's easier to type at length on it.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Why more expensive?

Moore's Law and also price per gigabyte has dropped by 50% in the last 12 months should mean the 128GB should be cheaper than the 64GB retina model when it launched.

16GB iPad is pretty useless even for a none power user. 8GB iPod is similar too.

Youre correct of course but apple is notorious for overcharging for memory and storage.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
(e)MMC. 4.5 standard is good for up to 200MB/s.
Have I not seen that used on package for gaming consoles? I understand that would fall in under high capacity cache but you are already on the package there. My concern is the bus that connects the SoC to the NAND flash storage. On my phone, both the internal NAND and the MicroSD benchmark at ~18 MB/s.

Edit: No, that would have been eDRAM but the latter part still stands.

Last edited:

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No media event, early morning press release - seems more like a reaction to a stock drop.

"QUICK! WHAT DO DO WE HAVE READY TO SHIP IN IPAD R&D? AND LET'S GET OUT WHATEVER'S STABLE IN THE LATEST iOS AND ATV BUILDS!"

Ooooo. Ya! Dude your sooo right. Gee, just last week they *quickly* threw together an added version just to satisfy Wall Street. Reality check needed ;)

On a more realistic note -- this clearly shows they are well aware of the marketplace as NO ONE - not one blog -- nobody saw this coming today. Nobody. Um I thought that secrecy was afowl at Apple? Me thinks something cool is coming soon :)))))

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Good point. Still, their margins were narrow this last quarter, reportedly due to new hardware like the mini. Unless the retina implementation reduces cost and/or sales drop, I see them milking it one more cycle (as they usually do).

Their margins were slightly lower as Tim Cook explained related
to the expenses of ramping up so many new products simulataneously!
Going forward margins will improve as they have historically after every new product relase. As production yields improve margin increase. All that being said margin decline was minimal last quater and year over year profit increasewere significant. I would guess the reason they relased a 128GB model is because there is demand in the consumer space. Although I have been happy with 64GB I can understand if someone did not have acccess to the cloud and needed to store movies and music the extra space would be welcome.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Or when iPad 1 launched without a front-facing camera. "Why would anyone want that?", "how could I possibly hold it stable enough for Skype?", "who wants to be looking up my nose when I talk to them?", "it would be stupid to want an isight camera in an iPad", etc. Then, Apple rolls out iPad 2 with "facetime" and we gush, "shut up and take my money", "I'm already in line", "credit card is ready", etc.

Funny you mention this as I was a staunch supporter of having a camera in the iPad 1 and was nailed for it as being the worst idea ever for the reasons you list. I always maintained that whether you (personally) wanted to use it or not - that doesn't mean you should argue against it for those that would. Silly argument, don't you think? More/better functionality is a good thing. LIMITING functionality isn't.

Your whole post is spot on...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ten bucks says prices drop across the board for storage capacities in the next generation. They'll drop 16 gb and make 32 gb the entry level at $500.

Not Apple, if they could they would charge more, only time I saw them do something is when the released the original iPhone and people complained about the price and they dropped it a few weeks later bc IMO $599 for an iPhone with 4GB was crazy, thus why I waited until the 3G.

I bet they will still run with the same price structure, just change the base to 32, mid to 64 and high to 128

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
The pricing is consistent and to be expected, but I hope that improving memory costs will allow a price reduction across all the iPad models at the next update.

Memory costs are plenty cheap right now, but Apple sees no reason not to get a little extra cash out of it. And why should they? Even if they lose more marketshare, the reality is Apple's still growing (what people tend to ignore is Apple's growth has been great-not as great as Android's, and people only want to see market share. Considering Apple's premium, it makes more sense to invest in iOS than Android because monetized growth at Apple is far higher than google) and will continue for some time. Unless a tablet starts eating away at future profits, as opposed to future market share, I don't see things changing.

After all, the Macs make plenty of money for Apple and constitute a low portion of the market. Apple probably wants to defend a certain sales of phones per year. This in no way impedes it at this time.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
The comparison is immediately negated by the fact that the iPad is less functional overall than the MacBook air.

So $ for $ - if you're going to spend close to 1K - the Air, to me - is a better investment. Maybe not for you/some/everyone else. But if anyone asked me which they should go for and they had to be remotely productive and/or would benefit - even if only occasionally - from a keyboard - the MBA makes much more sense for that money.

But hey - I'm still rocking my original iPad because the speed advantages of the newer models are lost on me since I'm not a gamer and my use case doesn't require more memory and/or speed. The only thing that would be nice would be the front/back camera. But for now - for me - not worth the upgrade.

499 for what bought makes a lot of sense. As you creep/jump to closer to 1K - a laptop (apple or otherwise) makes more sense.

Great post. I agree, if it'll be your only device.

The real differentiator would be how you'll mainly use the device. The Air is impractical when not sitting or not having somewhere to set it down. I often use the iPad while standing/in motion, and hold it as a painter's palette.

The beauty of the new computing landscape is that you can now really pinpoint the tool that is most useful for your particular necessity.

I think that everyone could benefit from each class of device:

Desktop/laptop for heavy lifting, stationary use.
Tablet for mobile, medium use.
Smartphone for "with you at all times" applications.

Many can get by with the whole "super-wrench", one-size-fit-all concept, but I feel that a tool box is more ideal. Ah, freedom of choice.:D

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Funny you mention this as I was a staunch supporter of having a camera in the iPad 1 and was nailed for it as being the worst idea ever for the reasons you list. I always maintained that whether you (personally) wanted to use it or not - that doesn't mean you should argue against it for those that would. Silly argument, don't you think? More/better functionality is a good thing. LIMITING functionality isn't.

Me too Sam. And I took a beating for taking the "iPad <1> should have an iSight camera" side too. I was called stupid (for wanting it). "99% would never use it". And on and on (the usual stuff whenever Apple leaves out something that is desirable to some).

Again, many of us here are very fair weather posters. If <whatever> is good for Apple, we're all for it. If it's bad for Apple, we're completely against it. Dismiss/ridicule rationale that goes against Apple's current stance. Then, if Apple flip flops, flip flop right with them. Recall all the "that longer-but-not-wider iPhone 5 screen prototype is stupid", "Apple would never fragment by adding another frame ratio", "I would never buy THAT" until it rolled out and then "shut up and take my money", "it's so much more useful", "my life is now complete with 5 rows of icons instead of the dreaded 4" (OK maybe that last one is an embellishment ;)... maybe).

Sometimes Apple will pitch a benefit like Retina in one product (iPad 4) and roll out another (iPad Mini) without it. Then, the fair weather spin fragments into a crowd arguing how retina doesn't matter to rationalize iPad Mini and how great retina is to rationalize iPad 4. I wonder if I can find a few posters who argue both sides within the context of selling others on whichever iPad is the point of topic at that moment? I bet there's at least a few who talk out of both sides of their mouth within such scenarios.

I often wish for an advanced search feature tagged hypocrite, which would quickly find certain posters passionately arguing one way before Apple rolls something out and then they passionately argue the other (Apple's new) way. I can't tell you how many times I've observed certain frequent fliers flip flop to stay right in line with where Apple appears to want to go. Such a search would be great for "so which is it?" type posts when you know they're flip flopping with Apple. If it was dumb before Apple went there, it should still be dumb thereafter and vice versa. I bet that would make for some interesting thread posts in and of itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.