Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
i have proof this is confirmed. i somehow got a apple online chat person to admit it.

is true a 128 gig ipad is coming out on next Tuesday

Hello! Welcome to the Apple Online Store, how are you today?

It is coming out soon.

i thought your not allowed to admit stuff

or are u just punking me

That is going to be available on Feb5th.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't know. $929 is pretty steep for an iPad unless - without a doubt - you're going to use it a lot and in lieu of any other device.

Especially since you can get an entry level MacBook Air for $999

But that's not comparing like to like. A MacBook Air at that price has 64 gb and no cellular. The appropriate comparison is the 64 GB wifi iPad, which is $700 as compared to $1000 for the air.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
No, the Mini. I think the drop in Apple's profit margin last quarter was mostly the Mini's fault. It's taking over Apple's sales, fast.

They're going to have to fight hard to convince people that buying a large iPad is still a good choice. The retina screen is only just barely doing the job, and they know that difference wont' last forever.

Agreed. That right there is the reason why I think the mini 2 will not have retina.

They'll wait until the mini 3 as a differentiation mechanism.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But that's not comparing like to like. A MacBook Air at that price has 64 gb and no cellular. The appropriate comparison is the 64 GB wifi iPad, which is $700 as compared to $1000 for the air.

The comparison is immediately negated by the fact that the iPad is less functional overall than the MacBook air.

So $ for $ - if you're going to spend close to 1K - the Air, to me - is a better investment. Maybe not for you/some/everyone else. But if anyone asked me which they should go for and they had to be remotely productive and/or would benefit - even if only occasionally - from a keyboard - the MBA makes much more sense for that money.

But hey - I'm still rocking my original iPad because the speed advantages of the newer models are lost on me since I'm not a gamer and my use case doesn't require more memory and/or speed. The only thing that would be nice would be the front/back camera. But for now - for me - not worth the upgrade.

499 for what bought makes a lot of sense. As you creep/jump to closer to 1K - a laptop (apple or otherwise) makes more sense.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
This is to compete directly with Microsoft Surface Pro 128GB

Not really, as the Surface Pro is a full blown touch screen computer with an Intel processor and as such can do a whole lot more than an iPad can. One could even argue that the Surface RT can do more than an iPad can.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Now, what I want is a 128-256gb iPod touch so I can fit the majority of my music on it without compressing from ALAC. I had a 240gb iPod that bit the dust and now I am stuck with a 160gb iPod or a 32gb phone and neither really fit anywhere close to all of my music.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
The price of the surface with 128GB is $999
The price of the iiPad with 128 GB is $799

so lets see the iPAd by every review i have read blows the door off the surface and is $200 cheaper sounds like Apple is really rippin us off

So many Apple haters here, I am a big looser because I am an Apple fan boy
hanging out on Mac Rumors, if so, what does that make the Apple bashers hanging out on Mac Rumors. Doesn't say much for Android users. If i was so into Android and hated Apple why would I be here? Can never figure that one out. I can honestly say I have never visited an Android rumor site why would I since I don't use android and not interested in the platform. Unless I was such a looser and had nothing else to do.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Will be skipping this. I can buy a decent laptop with that money.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also.

I have to wonder if this is really going to help or hurt sales of the full-size iPad.

As the price they are asking, it only seems prudent to wait and see what the iPad 5 offers. They may decide to merge iOS and OSX together.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
iPad is great, but they should set the 32/64/128 standard, and roll out the 16GB model with same pricing. And with that they have enough earnings.
For this price, big no.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Well... I have a surface and here I'll defend Apple

A 32 GB Surface isnt much more storage than a 16 gb iPad. Windows RT takes a **** load of space, so not much more free.

I once tried out Surface and for me it sucks. That rubber keyboard are very horrible to type on and looks very horrible.

What a Surface is good at... Windows installed?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Show me on a block diagram some the magical bus that connects to the flash storage. It is probably USB 2.0.

that is one crazy assertion.. I love that an average users trying to pretend to be a smart engineer and design a mobile device on the fly. This is the block diagram of ARM architecture.. USB is protocol for external device.. You can do much much better by using a memory bus... Be real..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

300px-ARMSoCBlockDiagram.svg.png

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
T
hanging out on Mac Rumors, if so, what does that make the Apple bashers hanging out on Mac Rumors. Doesn't say much for Android users. If i was so into Android and hated Apple why would I be here? Can never figure that one out. I can honestly say I have never visited an Android rumor site why would I since I don't use android and not interested in the platform. Unless I was such a looser and had nothing else to do.

Hmmm. You might want to take a deep breath. No one is calling you a loser. Or a fan boy. Why you think anyone that debates pricing/functionality, etc automatically is an Android user is beyond me. And resorting to the "I never visit an Android site..." is cliche.

Why so angry?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

If it works for you, great. I know some people wanted more storage.

I agree with many who have suggested Apple do away with the 16gb iPad and restructure the price points accordingly.

For the suggested price points though, that puts an iPad out of my league. I'd rather put that amount of $ toward a laptop.

If I were to reinvest in an iPad, it would probably the be mini when it goes Retina. The iPad is a content device for me personally, so it's not a necessity and at that price point, it's not even a want.

As far as Apple constantly tinkering with the iPad 4, not surprising given eventual upgrade of features for the retina MBP and the 2012 iMacs.

If anything, this tinkering will help instill my patience as I'm not in the market for new Apple anything until 2014.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The price of the surface with 128GB is $999
The price of the iiPad with 128 GB is $799

so lets see the iPAd by every review i have read blows the door off the surface and is $200 cheaper sounds like Apple is really rippin us off

Have we confirmed that the A6 is in fact faster than the Core i5 that the Surface Pro (128 GB) uses?

that is one crazy assertion.. I love that an average users trying to pretend to be a smart engineer and design a mobile device on the fly. This is the block diagram of ARM architecture.. USB is protocol for external device.. You can do much much better by using a memory bus... Be real..

Is there no definitive way to test storage speed on iOS devices?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Do you have anything a little less generic? I am still seeing the almighty 15-30 MB/s. Another reason why you are not going to see Thunderbolt speeds to sync your iDevice. Why slap on 10 Gbps bidirectional externally when you are never going to see those speeds internally. The memory bus is going to be reserved for the LPDDR2. USB 2.0 connects nearly everything else.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5425/why-thunderbolt-wont-come-to-the-iphone-anytime-soon

USB 3.0 is something that does make Tegra 4 stand out and they are promoting it as a function supported by the SoC itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.