Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
LOVING the new dimensions. I have a small slice of Swiss cheese that previously would not fit in my home theater setup.

dilute37

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
Airport Express

Does this size line up with the new Airport Express box? Still haven't seen one.

Another thing, and this is a software issue (or possibly a rights issue), I can buy movies and TV shows on my Gen 2 +3 Apple TV. Why can I not buy music via the Apple TV if all of it is hosted in the clouds anyway? Always been curious about that.

Last edited:

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
really? a smaller apple tv? meh.

Apple lover to friend: Hey, did you hear??? Apple is coming out with a smaller AppleTV!!!
Friend: Ok, great.

If they release a smaller Apple TV just to support 4K TV or other trivial update, I predict the stock will crater.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I hope it's lighter and thinner, too! I find it really uncomfortable holding my ATV 3 in my hands when I watch TV for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. ;)

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I'm wondering if we are going to see Analog out on the device, OR an HDMI passthru, so Apple TV isnt taking up an HDMI input on TVs where they are at a premium. I can't imagine they are going to shrink the box, just to shrink the box, not enough gain in that small of a shrink.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
They should put the hard drive back in or at least give us an option to plug one in. My kids still use the 1st gen one everyday. Why stream the same shows over and over when you can have them stored on the device for pennies a megabyte.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
What makes me crazy is my crappy Samsung SmartTV has an app store and the company who pretty much coined the term app store does not have one on the ATV!

jakeowens

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gigabit Ethernet

Apple tv could use an update to a Gigabit Ethernet. Currently it only has a 10/100BASE-T Ethernet connection. Would speed up loading from our libraries a bit faster and match some of the higher internet speeds.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I did a JB on my ATV2 and for me I didn't find anything I was interested in. The stock Apple apps are plenty good for me. I restored it back to factory settings after a month.

You obviously don't know how to use it then.

XBMC brings up the ability to connect to a DMS (HDHomerun Prime?) and live stream video.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
All I want is the capability for 3D movie playback and 3D content in the iTunes Store so I can throw out my blu ray player.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
My guess is that the reason for this new AppleTV revision is to test out a die shrink for the A5 chip. Remember that the iPad 2 got the 32nm A5 revision when the iPad 3 was launched. That chip was then put in the iPad Mini.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
You obviously don't know how to use it then.

XBMC brings up the ability to connect to a DMS (HDHomerun Prime?) and live stream video.

I agree, I got an Apple Tv2 for free last year when I bought my Macbook Air and I scoured craiglist ever since looking for another one for my upstairs TV and found someone selling it for 80 bucks, now I have Plex on both TVs and XBMC is the best!

If you are not going to use it, sell it and make yourself some money and upgrade to the ATV3.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I envision Apple TV becoming a dongle that connects directly to TV's HDMI input, with a dock connector that draws power from nearby USB port or 5W power adapter.

The elephants in the room are Apple-branded TV and App Store. I suspect both have been ready for some time, getting a ton of refinement as negotiation with content carriers drags on.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
The Apple TV has creeped its way up to one of our most used Apple Devices (that wasn't an easy task)

But between MLB, NBA, VIMEO and Youtube plus all the iTunes items its worth every bit of 99 bucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.