Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Well I think the new BB's are "nice" but nothing terribly special. Here's where you're thinking is unfair. Apple's first iPhone has caused the rest of the industry to really do the same thing. If there was no iPhone from jump street today's smartphones wouldn't look like they do. We would still be with the old Palm Treo design. The first iPhone was a major jump in UI design and operability. Now you're saying Apple hasn't done much anymore to innovate the iPhone. Well, does Apple have to do it first all the time? Why can't one of the competing companies make a major jump in the smartphone business like the first iPhone and then Apple could follow suit?

It's not Apple's job to move the industry, each competing company needs to make a major hurdle to move innovation and they just aren't doing it. Most of them are the taking the iPhone design and adding a few niceties to their product and putting out on the market. Then people like you come along and say iOS is stale. :p

I never said iOS was stale, you clearly misread my post. I was talking from a design standpoint only. I get it, they they did something that changed all smartphones after it...but that was years back...

All I am saying is that if you look at the iPhone from day 1 to present you will realize that from a design strandpoint that really...its exactly the same. Now take blackberry from day 1 to present and voila, an entirely new design and new os, for blackberry itself. I am by NO means bashing apple at all, I like the company and their products, I'm simply defending Blackberry.

Im sure there will be a day when Blackberry people and Apple people get along....but not Android people...no one likes them. :p:p:p

Dilbert

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
Warwick, UK
White version is F-Ugly ... if they are going to offer a white phone you would this they would do it properly by making the screen surround white too.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
White version is F-Ugly ... if they are going to offer a white phone you would this they would do it properly by making the screen surround white too.

Its just about doing it right. The HTC One X doesn't look ugly with its white back and black front.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Not sure why everyone is jumping on the hate bandwagon. In my opinion It looks pretty impressive, It's bringing a completely new type of experience to phones.

To me multi-tasking is an important factor, so far no mobile platform offers a truly good and intuitive multi-tasking experience. Double clicking buttons to switch to apps is annoying..

As much as I love iOS, Apple has not really brought anything new to iOS for quite a while in my opinion. I would love If Apple also heads to the direction to provide an intuitive multi-tasking experience on their phones..

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Looks pretty good to me, I feel like theverge review is a bit biased and loves pointing out a few negative things here and there that they ignored on lets say the iPhone 5 review and Also the Nexus 4 , Battery , Multitasking, Camera?

be fair

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
"and LTE support, though Mossberg got extremely poor data speeds on AT&T and RIM couldn't explain why."

lolling.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Lack of Apps isn't as big an issue as people are making it out to be. Blackberry users aren't App users right now and they haven't been tempted by them yet. There is enough functionality it seems without the Apps. Also, internet access makes many Apps not that valuable. It is nice to have a Yelp App, but a bookmark to Yelp would get me half of the way there.

Battery use also not that big a deal. My office dwelling co-workers plug their phones in as soon as they get to the office. They sit there charging all day and are fully charged when they leave. I suspect Blackberry is counting on that and on the fact that their users are going to be low consumers of high power usage stuff like video.

I bet this takes a bite out of Android sales and stops the bleeding for Blackberry. I bought some stock this afternoon so I put my money where my mouth is on this one. Checking the price, I seem to have nailed the interday dip and I'm up 1 or 2% already. (That's just a coincidence of course, I'm not a day trader and this is a buy and hold until Blackberry recovers or it goes bankrupt.)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It doesn't look very impressive but probably a good move for BlackBerry. Away from their clunky old devices. But, that pixel density, does that make the screen on these things better than Retina? Or it resolution that counts?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Looks like an extremely crappy knockoff of the iPhone 5. Sorry BlackBerry, but if I were to not buy iOS, I'd get Android.

----------

What exactly goes "f-ugly" mean? ********** ugly?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
great hardware paired with decent software. watched all the demos and i'm impressed by this release. it's not half assed at all.

dare i say i prefer this over android and wp8?

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Looks like my old Droid X and if it's built anything like it, it'll be nice. More competition is better for everyone.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
This phone can't be any worse than any other Blackberry that came before it.

I have a BB Bold from my job. Biggest piece of s&#t ever.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I never said iOS was stale, you clearly misread my post. I was talking from a design standpoint only. I get it, they they did something that changed all smartphones after it...but that was years back...

All I am saying is that if you look at the iPhone from day 1 to present you will realize that from a design strandpoint that really...its exactly the same. Now take blackberry from day 1 to present and voila, an entirely new design and new os, for blackberry itself. I am by NO means bashing apple at all, I like the company and their products, I'm simply defending Blackberry.

Im sure there will be a day when Blackberry people and Apple people get along....but not Android people...no one likes them. :p:p:p

Sorry, I used the term stale (right, you didn't say that) because you said there's been no innovations from Apple since the first iPhone. Yeah, sure the new BB is not like the old BB but where did they innovate? They took a design concept that is already flooding the market and created the BB10. Yes, they have their own OS but it doesn't look much different than iOS, Android or Windows Phone. That's my point. The fact that RIMM has been in the cell phone business for years before Apple they should have something amazingly groundbreaking to shake up the industry and these new phones from BB don't do it at all.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Support for pushed email, contacts, and calendar on only Microsoft Exchange. No Gmail, Yahoo, etc. I thought BlackBerry was supposed to be synonymous with push email?

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Z = end of the line

Good choice on the name for new product.

I used to love the Blackberry for it's email client/system and excellent battery run time.

Each new RIM product gets worse at both. Each new product tries to be more like the iPhone but fails at doing so.

My Bold 9900 has the worst battery run time, but will only charge with BB specific chargers. Ironically, if I try to purchase such accessories from RIM, I get "ShopBlackBerry.com is temporarily unavailable". Been that way for over a month. http://us.blackberry.com/where-to-buy/accessories/shop-blackberry.html

So long my friend, you will be missed.

B

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
its against apples "philosophy" tho. they want to get away from a user accessible "filesystem". everything is supposed to "just work". like music should open within a program, no need to look through multiple folders on the harddrive, same with documents and pictures

That philosophy works for properly tagged music providing that you like to use apps like iTunes (I do). Pictures is so-so. Documents is really a personal thing so the only thing Apple wins in hiding the file system it the nickname iToy manufacturer.

Nothing personal I do love my iPad:D. But somethings could be a little easier.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Keyboard

I still mostly use my smart phone for typing so to me the number one feature is always the keyboard.

I have to say seeing the demo the new virtual keyboard on BB10 looks impressive.

Screen dimensions at 4.2 inches and 3:2 ratio seem perfect to me as well.

I think I'd still want to wait for the 2nd gen though for BB polish it up.

cloudness

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
Not sure why everyone is jumping on the hate bandwagon. In my opinion It looks pretty impressive, It's bringing a completely new type of experience to phones.

To me multi-tasking is an important factor, so far no mobile platform offers a truly good and intuitive multi-tasking experience. Double clicking buttons to switch to apps is annoying..

As much as I love iOS, Apple has not really brought anything new to iOS for quite a while in my opinion. I would love If Apple also heads to the direction to provide an intuitive multi-tasking experience on their phones..

Even as a loyal Mac and iOS user I have to agree. While I perceive the whole Android plateform as a very cheap knockoff from the iOS system, this Blackberry 10 seems to pursue quite a different approach to mobile computing.

The "Remember" system marks a first step back to the file and folder system, back from the app system. Whether it is a good move or not, we'll see in the next months. I know for sure that I have a whole lots of files on my Mac that are impossible to parse through on my iPhone, and I do like it that way.

The "Flow" system is a first step back to multitasking. Is it normal evolution? Singletasking vs multitasking was an old debate back in the System 7 days, and we all know how it ended. As energy consumption (slowly) become more efficient, isn't it a normal step?

This won't be a dealbreaker for me as I am hooked to the iOS ecosystem. I have money invested in app and media content. I am a long term user of iLife. My family and friends are all hooked up (by themselves or through me) to iOS, and iMessage is a nice plus. But I do hope all this innovation will contribute to enhance my iOS experience though competition.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like BB is playing lots of catch up, but nothing sets them apart from the rest. Plus the $199 price of the touch screen model is ridiculous because iPhone is same price.

They don't stand out without an eco system. Plus the next Gen Android phones are around the corner and will leap frog RIM once again with 1080p, quad core, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.