Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Because if they put an "updated" banner on it, hordes of internet complainers will spill out onto the net and complain that there's no new features.

So really, a stealth update is fine.

This. With the amount of impetus behind a new "Apple TV" on the internet, it is a marketing disadvantage to call it new until there is actually something really new about it.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?

mine has the same problem, so I use ethernet.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
IT'S THE APPS, STUPID!

I am glad they are upgrading the internals, but we really need Apple to open Apple TV to developers so we can get some decent apps in their.

Right now, it's a glorified Netflix player, and not a very good one, either (e.g., if you finish an episode, it presents you with a Play button for the SAME episode, instead of the NEXT episode as many other front-ends do).

I love Netflix and that's why I am OK with ATV, but it really needs apps before Google TV gets its act together and ATV becomes irrelevant.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't understand this part. Why is this not the case in the FCC filing diagram?

Wait, so this update says that the dimensions will be the same, but yet the dimensions shown are smaller than the current ATV? So what's up with that?

The dimensions in the FCC filling are the same as the base of the current Apple TV.

1024px-AppleTV_back.png

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
there won't be any new features or other changes

Pretty much sums it up. Apple should just adopt this tag line and stamp it on 90% of their products.

iAmUndefined

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
I can't believe that apple dont see the mega-huge potential in apple tv...:confused:
Give it some apps for gods sake!

Why would there be apps on Apple TV? The only apps that would work are Netflix, HBO and other channel-specific apps which would require a deal with Apple anyway.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
As an Apple fan I often wonder why apple never allow their products to unleash their full potential.

As an example I jailbroke my ATV2 and now I am able to stream from my network drive. It works FLAWLESSLY and has replaced my PS3 as my media streamer. Plus it does so consuming very little electricity. Why on earth would you not allow it to do this as standard?!?!

Many companies try and add as many features as they can, while Apple deliberately remove things it can do with ease.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Safari
Twitter
Facebook

NFL
ESPN
Pandora
NPR
CNN
Stocks
Maps
Notes
Reminders

The list goes on and on and on.

Apple's not going to give you those particulars in a $99 device. They'd rather you buy a Mac Mini, which is still cheaper than an unlocked iPhone.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The dimensions in the FCC filling are the same as the base of the current Apple TV.

1024px-AppleTV_back.png

But the diagram says 93.78 mm, as opposed to the 98 mm count on the current Apple TV? Sorry, I think I keep missing something here :confused:

mohremail

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Any guesses as to when this will happen? Though its not a real big update, it's still an update.... Waiting to find one when they come out....

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Just add some more content providers. Amazon...Pandora...Spotify...Crackle. If there is a audio/video content provider with an iPad app, then there should be an effort to make one for Apple TV. I've got my stupid old Roku taking up an HDMI port just for Amazon video.

And I know Airplay works but I don't want to use my mobile device when it's something the Apple TV should be able to do itself.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've been planning on getting a 3rd gen to take advantage of the 1080p. I can move my second gen to my basement tv. However, since I wasn't in a hurry, I'll still wait till these are in distribution to at least get the spec bump on the chip.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Yea, tech crunch nailed this spot on.

I hope they don't give the iPad mini an A5X. The A5X will be far from over a year old by the time it would be put into the Mini, and as we can see from the iPad 3, requires way more battery power and thermal space.

I'd hope it would either be an A6X underclocked or A6 (it has less pixels to drive and isn't meant to be a performance beast like the iPad) so that it can be retina without getting thicker or killing battery life. The A5X was kind of a flop of a chip design if you ask me. The A6X is along those lines, but seems to be better on battery and heat dissipation.

But by moving to the A5X, which is more expensive to manufacturer, it's almost as if Apple is implying that the A5 isn't suitable for the current Apple TV. I don't see the point in changing what isn't broken. It may be a "silent update", but surely this is planning for something Apple has planned down the product pipeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.