Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I got my iPhone 5 unlocked through eBay. If I update to 6.1, would it revert to locked? Can anyone with an eBay unlock confirm that the unlock remains valid AFTER the update? Thanks!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I got my iPhone 5 unlocked through eBay. If I update to 6.1, would it revert to locked? Can anyone with an eBay unlock confirm that the unlock remains valid AFTER the update? Thanks!

ebay Unlocks i.e. IMEI locks are like official unlocks in Apple's server so it stays unlocked no matter what.

It could possibly be relocked if Apple decided to relock them however that hasn't happened. I can tell you though it would CERTAINLY be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to relock it via an update if it was the IMEI unlock.

coryskyes

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
yeah,i think so,It will stay unlocked no mattery how many times you restore or update your firmware.
3.gif

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
ebay Unlocks i.e. IMEI locks are like official unlocks in Apple's server so it stays unlocked no matter what.

It could possibly be relocked if Apple decided to relock them however that hasn't happened. I can tell you though it would CERTAINLY be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to relock it via an update if it was the IMEI unlock.

I know that it used to be like that, but I read in a separate forum post that these phones are now somehow "flagged" in the system as unauthorized unlocks and that if replaced at the Apple store are replaced with locked phones.

----------

Thank you all for your replies. Can anyone actually confirm with first hand experience that they updated to 6.1 an eBay unlocked phone and it remained unlocked?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I know that it used to be like that, but I read in a separate forum post that these phones are now somehow "flagged" in the system as unauthorized unlocks and that if replaced at the Apple store are replaced with locked phones.

----------

Thank you all for your replies. Can anyone actually confirm with first hand experience that they updated to 6.1 an eBay unlocked phone and it remained unlocked?

What aren't you understanding? Once unlocked, it's unlocked for ever. Unlocks from eBay, a 3rd party reseller, or AT&T, it's unlocked for ever.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thank you

I appreciate all your feedback - I will update with less fear! :):)

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
I am understanding - are you? There are suggestions that things may have changed:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16382821#post16382821

So I was just checking to see if anyone has direct experience with this. No need to be rude....

That's not a suggestion that things have changed - in the post you linked to Apple swapped out his phone for another one. New phone = new IMEI = locked. He didn't do an update and suddenly his phone was relocked again, which is what you were asking about. These are two completely different scenarios so all the advice about not having to worry about running updates is correct.

If you get a completely different phone, like in the post your linked to, how on earth do you expect the unlock to "transfer" over?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.