Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
What's the point?

Is it how *I* feel about how others may view me for having an iPhone, or the image I purportedly have for owning an iPhone?

I quit caring what people think of me long ago. I buy what I like, what works, and don't worry about the image or air of carrying and using Device X. Call me an iPhone ****** or whatever you want. Zero ****s given.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
But the carriers in those cases charge their customers, making people mad at the carriers for being expensive.

Except that the carriers charge the same for service for an iPhone an any other smartphone.

Of course? I can't see which features that could defend the much higher price. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't know about/know how to use half of the features of the iPhone. The average iPhone user don't know the difference in features between an iPhone and an Android phone. I believe the average iPhone user has bought their phone based on that they've heard iPhones are the best and the higher price would also suggest that.

If the advantages of the iPhone aren't important to you, than choose a cheaper phone. Some people have different priorities. Feature checklists are silly if they don't reflect what's important to the consumer.

So please shame me! Tell me how android has not caught up with Apple please.

The ecosystem. Integration with other Apple products. Apps and media.

No one here has a a leg to stand on. I just want Apple user to admit that IOS is old and needs a refresh to keep up with android. Go

But, of course, you are preemptively dismissing any argument other than what you want to hear.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The ecosystem. Integration with other Apple products. Apps and media.

But, of course, you are preemptively dismissing any argument other than what you want to hear.

First of all android has an ecosystem as well. I love when people use this. Do you not think that Android has tablets too? If you want to talk about more apps ok how many of those millions on the apple App Store do you use? The most used and popular ones are on both app stores.

Ok someone wanted to talk about LTE. That might be something brag about in say 2 years, but right now there are only select city's and places around the US that have it. Sure it wins over the nexus 4 if you have it in your area. Ok the next thing someone said was benchmarks. If you can tell me how those benchmarks relate to your daily use of the iphone then sure you win. The last time I checked 95% of the people that own smartphones have no idea what a benchmark is and don't come close to testing there phoned power. In daily use androids run just as fast if not better in some places. Battery life is about the only topic I have heard that the iphone is a clear winner.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
First of all android has an ecosystem as well. I love when people use this.

Sure. But Apple's is bigger and better.

Do you not think that Android has tablets too?

Of course they do. They're just not very good tablets. And they are not as well integrated. And the big thing that Android does not have is the same level of integration that iOS has with a desktop OS.

If you want to talk about more apps ok how many of those millions on the apple App Store do you use? The most used and popular ones are on both app stores.

I'm sure you are aware of the point of more apps is not to put every single one of them on your phone.

Ok someone wanted to talk about LTE. That might be something brag about in say 2 years, but right now there are only select city's and places around the US that have it. Sure it wins over the nexus 4 if you have it in your area.

Verizon LTE cover 80% of the US population.

Ok the next thing someone said was benchmarks. If you can tell me how those benchmarks relate to your daily use of the iphone then sure you win. The last time I checked 95% of the people that own smartphones have no idea what a benchmark is and don't come close to testing there phoned power. In daily use androids run just as fast if not better in some places. Battery life is about the only topic I have heard that the iphone is a clear winner.

Maybe you should look into what benchmarks are rather than dismissing them as technobabble. Your FUD doesn't change the fact that the iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than the Nexus 4 (with better battery life.)

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Sure. But Apple's is bigger and better.

Of course they do. They're just not very good tablets. And they are not as well integrated. And the big thing that Android does not have is the same level of integration that iOS has with a desktop OS.

I'm sure you are aware of the point of more apps is not to put every single one of them on your phone.

Verizon LTE cover 80% of the US population.

Maybe you should look into what benchmarks are rather than dismissing them as technobabble. Your FUD doesn't change the fact that the iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than the Nexus 4 (with better battery life.)

More does not always mean better. There are some pretty crappy apps on the App Store. You will fight for the App Store not matter what. Fine, just know I don't use more than 50 apps on my iphone there is not enough good apps for that.

Really 80% and how many iphone user have Verizon and have an iphone 5. I still think AT&T leads the way in iphone sales but I am not sure. Ok so the iphone 5 has LTE you win over the nexus 4 in pure data speed. I will agree if you want to use Verizon as the standard I will give you that. There you go I agreed.

Well see when you bring up benchmarks I a pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about. I did look at the benchmarks and oh man are they good in terms of the iphone 5, but what you and millions of other Apple lovers fail to realize is the difference in OS. Oh I know you are going to say that iOS is more stable and my favorite is "it just works". Well here is the problem with that OS was built in 2007 and has only had features add no real code change. If the nexus still had froyo is would score just as high. iOS is simple and out if date , so the iphone 5 is not bogged down. Also the last time I check the iphone 5 does not truly multitask now does it. Android can have two programs running at the same time which also uses up CPU power. Oh and my favorite is widgets oh man those are awesome, but does that use up some power. Sure the iphone 5 does great on benchmarks cause what does it have to do other than what ever task it is running at that time.

Lets get technical since that seems to be what you want to do. The iphone 5 is running the A6 ARM DUAL-CORE processor. The nexus 4 is running a QUAD CORE processor. So I am pretty that quad core blows the dual core out of the water again look at what iOS is please.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
More does not always mean better. There are some pretty crappy apps on the App Store. You will fight for the App Store not matter what. Fine, just know I don't use more than 50 apps on my iphone there is not enough good apps for that.

I'm not sure how that changes the fact that there are more and better apps for iOS than Android.

Really 80% and how many iphone user have Verizon and have an iphone 5. I still think AT&T leads the way in iphone sales but I am not sure. Ok so the iphone 5 has LTE you win over the nexus 4 in pure data speed. I will agree if you want to use Verizon as the standard I will give you that. There you go I agreed.

I'm sorry the facts are getting in the way of your argument. I was just correcting yet another bit of misinformation that you posted.

Well see when you bring up benchmarks I a pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about. I did look at the benchmarks and oh man are they good in terms of the iphone 5, but what you and millions of other Apple lovers fail to realize is the difference in OS. Oh I know you are going to say that iOS is more stable and my favorite is "it just works". Well here is the problem with that OS was built in 2007 and has only had features add no real code change. If the nexus still had froyo is would score just as high. iOS is simple and out if date , so the iphone 5 is not bogged down. Also the last time I check the iphone 5 does not truly multitask now does it. Android can have two programs running at the same time which also uses up CPU power. Oh and my favorite is widgets oh man those are awesome, but does that use up some power. Sure the iphone 5 does great on benchmarks cause what does it have to do other than what ever task it is running at that time.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Almost nothing you said in this (rambling) paragraph is true.

Lets get technical since that seems to be what you want to do. The iphone 5 is running the A6 ARM DUAL-CORE processor. The nexus 4 is running a QUAD CORE processor. So I am pretty that quad core blows the dual core out of the water again look at what iOS is please.

You may be sure, but you are still wrong.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I'm not sure how that changes the fact that there are more and better apps for iOS than Android.

I'm sorry the facts are getting in the way of your argument. I was just correcting yet another bit of misinformation that you posted.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Almost nothing you said in this (rambling) paragraph is true.

You may be sure, but you are still wrong.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

You have no idea what you are talking about. AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS BENCHMARKS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL. Oh much clearing can I be. Are you some developer of iOS games and you use that A6 processor, and every bit of power you can get out of it. You still have yet to tell me how they effect your everyday life. I will keep saying benchmarks don't matter until you can show me something that you do every day that it so much better and fast on the iphone 5 than any other smartphone because that is what the benchmarks suggest. Please enlighten me oh this seeing as how I know nothing.

Check the video out.
http://youtu.be/E406xXr4Mok

Have you even tried an android phone in the last year?

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You have no idea what you are talking about. AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS BENCHMARKS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL.

Shouting something doesn't make it true.

Oh much clearing can I be. Are you some developer of iOS games and you use that A6 processor, and every bit of power you can get out of it. You still have yet to tell me how they effect your everyday life. I will keep saying benchmarks don't matter until you can show me something that you do every day that it so much better and fast on the iphone 5 than any other smartphone because that is what the benchmarks suggest. Please enlighten me oh this seeing as how I know nothing.

So, you're saying that even though the iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than the Nexus 4, it doesn't matter because you don't care. And the fact that you don't care about better performance makes the Nexus 4 faster. Even though it's not really faster. Dizzying logic.

And, for the record, web browsing performance does affect my everday life. Maybe you never browse the web on your phone.

:confused: I have no idea how anything in that video supports your claim. The iPhone 5 won almost every performance test that he discussed.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
You have no idea what you are talking about. AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS BENCHMARKS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL. Oh much clearing can I be. Are you some developer of iOS games and you use that A6 processor, and every bit of power you can get out of it. You still have yet to tell me how they effect your everyday life. I will keep saying benchmarks don't matter until you can show me something that you do every day that it so much better and fast on the iphone 5 than any other smartphone because that is what the benchmarks suggest. Please enlighten me oh this seeing as how I know nothing.

Check the video out.
http://youtu.be/E406xXr4Mok

Did you even watch the video you linked? It was pretty clear that the iPhone 5 was easily the superior device according to this review. By the way, all he said about the N4 battery is that it's larger and seems to hold a charge better when not being used. Fact is that the N4's battery issues have been documented many places:
http://androidspin.com/2012/11/05/nexus-4-scores-disappointing-battery-life-scores/
http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-nex...test-see-if-its-better-than-the-galaxy-nexus/

I'm not saying you're a hypocrite, but you seem to be going back and forth between your claims that the N4 is faster and more powerful than the iPhone 5 "Lets get technical since that seems to be what you want to do. The iphone 5 is running the A6 ARM DUAL-CORE processor. The nexus 4 is running a QUAD CORE processor. So I am pretty that quad core blows the dual core out of the water again look at what iOS is please." And then when proven wrong you say things like "AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS BENCHMARKS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL." Again, not calling you a hypocrite, but you've gone this route at least twice now in this thread alone.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Shouting something doesn't make it true.

So, you're saying that even though the iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than the Nexus 4, it doesn't matter because you don't care. And the fact that you don't care about better performance makes the Nexus 4 faster. Even though it's not really faster. Dizzying logic.

And, for the record, web browsing performance does affect my everday life. Maybe you never browse the web on your phone.

:confused: I have no idea how anything in that video supports your claim. The iPhone 5 won almost every performance test that he discussed.

Oh is that right. I seem to remember the nexus 4 brining the web page faster in most cases.

Also I did not say the iphone 5 is faster cause it is not. You just want to look at these benchmark test that don't prove anything. Like unless you are developer trying to make sure you app works I am pretty you are not using that much CPU power. The nexus 4 did things just as fast if not in some cases faster. Oh and I do believe the guy said at the end it is all up to you which one you like better. He said they both preformed about the same it all comes down to which OS you like better. So your calm that the iphone 5 out performs every android phone is just not true.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I personally think the OP is right on. Apple is arrogant. The Geniuses in most Apple Stores are snobs, too. That's my personal experience. Everyone else's could be totally different. Some people have also accused me of being "aloof" in the past, so who knows. Maybe that's why I've gone to an iPhone, so I can be surrounded by other dicks like myself. Apple has had a TON of success over the last decade, so some arrogance is warranted. But let's not all pretend as if it doesn't exist at all. As this stereotype didn't get built overnight.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Did you even watch the video you linked? It was pretty clear that the iPhone 5 was easily the superior device according to this review. By the way, all he said about the N4 battery is that it's larger and seems to hold a charge better when not being used. Fact is that the N4's battery issues have been documented many places:
http://androidspin.com/2012/11/05/nexus-4-scores-disappointing-battery-life-scores/
http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-nex...test-see-if-its-better-than-the-galaxy-nexus/

I'm not saying you're a hypocrite, but you seem to be going back and forth between your claims that the N4 is faster and more powerful than the iPhone 5 "Lets get technical since that seems to be what you want to do. The iphone 5 is running the A6 ARM DUAL-CORE processor. The nexus 4 is running a QUAD CORE processor. So I am pretty that quad core blows the dual core out of the water again look at what iOS is please." And then when proven wrong you say things like "AGAIN I WILL SAY THIS BENCHMARKS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL." Again, not calling you a hypocrite, but you've gone this route at least twice now in this thread alone.

I was giving specs cause that seems to be all you guys are worried about are what these phones can do on paper. I suggested real world use and that just get thrown out the window. I will go watch the video again but it seems that I remember the phones being neck and neck.

----------

I personally think the OP is right on. Apple is arrogant. The Geniuses in most Apple Stores are snobs, too. That's my personal experience. Everyone else's could be totally different. Some people have also accused me of being "aloof" in the past, so who knows. Maybe that's why I've gone to an iPhone, so I can be surrounded by other dicks like myself. Apple has had a TON of success over the last decade, so some arrogance is warranted. But let's not all pretend as if it doesn't exist at all. As this stereotype didn't get built overnight.

Thanks

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Oh is that right. I seem to remember the nexus 4 brining the web page faster in most cases.

You remember incorrectly.

Also I did not say the iphone 5 is faster cause it is not. You just want to look at these benchmark test that don't prove anything. Like unless you are developer trying to make sure you app works I am pretty you are not using that much CPU power. The nexus 4 did things just as fast if not in some cases faster. Oh and I do believe the guy said at the end it is all up to you which one you like better. He said they both preformed about the same it all comes down to which OS you like better. So your calm that the iphone 5 out performs every android phone is just not true.

Well, except for the fact that the iPhone 5 performed better in almost every single real world performance test in the video that you posted.

I was giving specs cause that seems to be all you guys are worried about are what these phones can do on paper. I suggested real world use and that just get thrown out the window. I will go watch the video again but it seems that I remember the phones being neck and neck.

Well, except for the fact that the iPhone 5 performed better in almost every single real world performance test in the video that you posted.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

----------

Thanks

But since you've already been shown the benchmarks more than once, when you claimed that the N4 was faster you knew you were wrong when you were typing it. The fact that you prefer the N4 is fine and for your purposes you might be correct, but you don't get to make up your own facts and you shouldn't conveniently forget facts when it suits your needs.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Nexus 4 is a good device for the price but let's be serious for a second. It is inferior to the iPhone 5 in pretty much every way possible. The only advantage it has is if you're a person who simply prefers the Android OS over iOS.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Nexus 4 is a good device for the price but let's be serious for a second. It is inferior to the iPhone 5 in pretty much every way possible. The only advantage it has is if you're a person who simply prefers the Android OS over iOS.

And it's cheaper off contract. Bigger screen if you prefer that.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Oh boy here we go. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. "The iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful" have you completely lost your mind. You are now out your league. Go to YouTube please and watch the videos for the iphone 5 and nexus 4 and then come back and tell me that the iphone 5 is faster and more powerful. These 2 phones are neck and neck. You really have no idea what you are talking about. You take whatever Tim Cook says as truth. Do some research please before you ever quote me again and come with completely false statements.

You have not shown anything to refute my statement.

It is a technical fact that the iPhone 5 has both better performance and better battery life than the Nexus 4.

It is also a fact that on the big 3 US carriers, Sprint/Verizon/AT&T, the Nexus 4 is more expensive than the iPhone 5.

Do you have any sources that show otherwise?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry guys I picked the wrong video on YouTube. That guy only ran test in the browser rather than just using the phone like we would do.

Here are another

http://youtu.be/MIWYp6ZXe-s

If you guys choose not to watch so be it I understand I might not either after me already showing one. I will still argue that the iphone 5 is running an 6 year old OS and the nexus is running a year and half old OS. If Apple would come big an OS 2013 then I think we might be seeing some different results.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I will still argue that the iphone 5 is running an 6 year old OS and the nexus is running a year and half old OS.

What the heck are you talking about?

If you are referring to specific OS versions, iPhone 5 only runs iOS 6.0, which came out September 19th, 2012.

If you are referring to overall OSes, Android came out September 23rd, 2008, over 4 years ago.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry guys I picked the wrong video on YouTube. That guy only ran test in the browser rather than just using the phone like we would do.

Here are another

http://youtu.be/MIWYp6ZXe-s

If you guys choose not to watch so be it I understand I might not either after me already showing one.

Again, the iPhone 5 is the same or faster in most tests.

I will still argue that the iphone 5 is running an 6 year old OS and the nexus is running a year and half old OS.

You could argue that, but it's a pretty silly argument.

If Apple would come big an OS 2013 then I think we might be seeing some different results.

You mean different than the results where the iPhone 5 is the same or faster than the nexus 4 despite having half the CPU cores at a slower clock speed? Seems to me that indicates that iOS is more efficient than Android.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
What the heck are you talking about?

If you are referring to specific OS versions, iPhone 5 only runs iOS 6.0, which came out September 19th, 2012.

If you are referring to overall OSes, Android came out September 23rd, 2008, over 4 years ago.

Well you must have been under a rock for the last 6 years. Sure IOS 6.0 came out in sept of 2012, but it was not a full blown update. Has iOS changed at all other than add features? It looks just the same as it did 6 years ago. They gave us new features but they have not changed the look and feel in 6 years. That is what I am talking about. If you think that iOS 6.0 is a brand new iOS then I having nothing else to say. If you would like I can upload picture of iOS over the last 6 years and I can upload android from the last 6 years and then you may understand.

----------

Again, the iPhone 5 is the same or faster in most tests.

You could argue that, but it's a pretty silly argument.

You mean different than the results where the iPhone 5 is the same or faster than the nexus 4 despite having half the CPU cores at a slower clock speed? Seems to me that indicates that iOS is more efficient than Android.

You use the word more efficient I say dumbed down. Where are the widget or live tiles? Were is the running two apps at the same time not just stopping one were it left off? It only can do one thing at a time, those dual cores could not even try to handle multitasking or widgets the iphone 5 could not run those type of things.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well you must have been under a rock for the last 6 years. Sure IOS 6.0 came out in sept of 2012, but it was not a full blown update. Has iOS changed at all other than add features? It looks just the same as it did 6 years ago. They gave us new features but they have not changed the look and feel in 6 years. That is what I am talking about. If you think that iOS 6.0 is a brand new iOS then I having nothing else to say. If you would like I can upload picture of iOS over the last 6 years and I can upload android from the last 6 years and then you may understand.

I'm not sure how changing the layout of the home screen changes performance or indicates the amount of change in the OS.

And, yes, iOS has changed drastically in the last 6 years.

The fact that Google made bad decisions in their original version of Android, doesn't mean the newer version is better than iOS.

You use the word more efficient I say dumbed down.

Since we were talking about real world performance, the efficiency of the software seems pretty relevant. I don't know why you would consider faster javascript performance "dumbed down."

Where are the widget or live tiles?

A couple widgets in the notification center. Otherwise, Apple chose not to include them.

Were is the running two apps at the same time not just stopping one were it left off?

iOS can run specific app types in the background.

It only can do one thing at a time, those dual cores could not even try to handle multitasking or widgets the iphone 5 could not run those type of things.

That's pretty funny. Considering all of the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Sure IOS 6.0 came out in sept of 2012, but it was not a full blown update.
Define "full blown update".

Has iOS changed at all other than add features? It looks just the same as it did 6 years ago. They gave us new features but they have not changed the look and feel in 6 years. That is what I am talking about.

So, because iOS has not added widgets or live tiles you think it has not been updated? As an iOS developer I can tell you that it has changed significantly in the last 5 years. There much more to an OS than what you see on the lock screen or home page.

If you would like I can upload picture of iOS over the last 6 years and I can upload android from the last 6 years and then you may understand.

And what versions of Android do you consider "full blown updates"? Make sure you elaborate on why.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I'm not sure how changing the layout of the home screen changes performance or indicates the amount of change in the OS.

And, yes, iOS has changed drastically in the last 6 years.

The fact that Google made bad decisions in their original version of Android, doesn't mean the newer version is better than iOS.

Uh added taxing things like widgets and multitasking would slow down iOS I would think. Name something that has been completely overhauled in iOS 6 that was in iOS 1, and are there really any new features that have added that have completely changed iOS?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Uh added taxing things like widgets and multitasking would slow down iOS I would think. Name something that has been completely overhauled in iOS 6 that was in iOS 1, and are there really any new features that have added that have completely changed iOS?

GJIWD.jpg

Windows 95 vs Windows 7

windows_95_project_by_eggi36-d3232la.png

6a0120a85dcdae970b0176164824f4970c-800wi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.