Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Some of these "BB Sux" comments are laughable and the people writing them probably have never experienced the QNX operating system. It's great. Hoping to see a great Canadian company back in the competition.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Couldn't this be said about what BlackBerry is doing? They lack many of the apps that Apple and Android has but look where Apple started, who didn't have many of the capabilities and features that it now touts. Everybody started from the bottom up and built what the mobile world is like today. BlackBerry fell and is behind the curve on many things but to expect it to come out of the gate running with full-blown features is ridiculous.

Apple beat Android to the punch and Android still delivered a competitive experience for it's users. The fact is that the market expects more now than it did prior to the maturation of iOS and Android.

The marketplace isn't fair. Expectations will be set based on what alternatives a customer can choose in lieu of a particular product. Blackberry has to hope it can survive long enough to bring itself up to compete with iOS and Android.

If anything is "ridiculous" it's the fact that Microsoft and RIMM were both caught with their pants down. Both companies had a mobile OS to use as a launching point to compete with Apple and Google yet Apple and Google were both able to beat them to market with much better experiences from the ground up.

Sparkybc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
If anything is "ridiculous" it's the fact that Microsoft and RIMM were both caught with their pants down. Both companies had a mobile OS to use as a launching point to compete with Apple and Google

Blackberry only has a operating system to compete now that's why BB10 was needed.. There is no way BB7 could even be in the same realm. If there will be a loser in it all it will be microsoft. They only wish they had almost 80 million customers. Like all products microsoft releases in the mobile world they fail.

WP8 will be like Zune soon enough!

----------

What the Playbook? It tanked hard.

They rushed it out and like the media trashed it to the ground.

The playbook still runs circles around the ipad mini and it's 2 years old. Playbook will be getting a reboot with BB10. Only ones who say it sucks is ones that never actually used it for a day.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Does it run a Symbian dialect, correct? It's nice knowing that this OS is still evolving even if Nokia stopped producing newer Symbian models.

The biggest mistake of Symbian was being a horrendous name. It was a nice OS until 2009, but Nokia opened too much branches like S40, Maemo, MeeGo, S60v5, S^3 and so on. This multi-ecosystem was a management nightmare, but it wasn't Symbian's fault. Qt was the possible "glue" by allowing portability between Nokia devices, but it was too late when Qt was mature enough for deploying apps for multiple OS without any re-coding.

Symbian had some nice features when multitasking was seen like an useless feature for smartphones. Symbian Belle FP2 wouldn't need too much time to reach Android and iOS main features, while preserving its strengths.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Does it run a Symbian dialect, correct? It's nice knowing that this OS is still evolving even if Nokia stopped producing newer Symbian models.

The biggest mistake of Symbian was being a horrendous name. It was a nice OS until 2009, but Nokia opened too much branches like S40, Maemo, MeeGo, S60v5, S^3 and so on. This multi-ecosystem was a management nightmare, but it wasn't Symbian's fault. Qt was the possible "glue" by allowing portability between Nokia devices, but it was too late when Qt was mature enough for deploying apps for multiple OS without any re-coding.

Symbian had some nice features when multitasking was seen like an useless feature for smartphones. Symbian Belle FP2 wouldn't need too much time to reach Android and iOS main features, while preserving its strengths.
QNX... not Symbian.
BB rewrote their OS from the ground up.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
They rushed it out and like the media trashed it to the ground.

The playbook still runs circles around the ipad mini and it's 2 years old. Playbook will be getting a reboot with BB10. Only ones who say it sucks is ones that never actually used it for a day.

Used one, it sucked. Even at $99

RIM did a half arsed firmware update and pretty much allowed it to die. Why isn't BB10 available for the Playbook now? Is there even a beta? (after all the Z10 is available in the UK today why not release BB10 for the Playbook too).

If stock continues to drop as its been doing since the announcement I wouldn't hold my breath for BB10 the Playbook edition.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Used one, it sucked. Even at $99

RIM did a half arsed firmware update and pretty much allowed it to die. Why isn't BB10 available for the Playbook now? Is there even a beta? (after all the Z10 is available in the UK today why not release BB10 for the Playbook too).

If stock continues to drop as its been doing since the announcement I wouldn't hold my breath for BB10 the Playbook edition.

At the event yesterday they did reaffirm that the Playbook will get BB10 but they did not say when. I fancy they have enough on their plate at the moment with the phone to worry about the Playbook which was a sales flop. If, however, they somehow get traction with the phone, then it will no doubt appear on the Playbook.

However, with the great attrition of staff at RIM/Blackberry, I fancy very few resources are being thrown at the Playbook now.

j1787

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
What I believe they should of done.

I was hoping back in the day blackberry would purchase WebOS from palm. Integrate the great features of two and at least be relevant competition. Don't think this is going to cut it.

rostic83

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Australia, Sydney
I am happy to have the Blackberry option again. If they make a good product... it give Apple more to strive to. Also, honestly Apple's email solution in the iphone kinda is lacking compared to blackberry.

I prefer having my emails more accessible than IOS can provide. Way better for work.

My inclination is to test the keyboard version... if i like it.. buy it and have both phones.

At least iPhone, Android or WP do not require a additional server to recieve emails such as BB does.

Even worse is when you do not have a BESR you will need your carrier to route the emails for you and you cannot sync contacts and calander which his crap.

xtremr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Just saw a review of it on youtube. It looks pretty decent and I really like how they did their calendar feature.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I can't believe they're still selling the Playbook. Everyone else has come out with Multiple different models since then.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Most review sites are bias and against Blackberry for years. What they say who cares, it's real world people that use it everyday is what matter. Last time i checked when has apple innovated anything? The iphone is getting more and more stale every year they release more or less the same boring phone.
iPhone and iPad were two big innovations which changed the market.

iOS is old and is showing it's age. It lacks most features new super phones have. Frankly apple has peeked and there is no innovation anymore. All they do with the iphone is faster processor, more memory, newer display is that innovation? Hardly.
Like Android is not. How does Galaxy S3 differ from S2? Yes, faster processor, more memory, worse quality display...

4G took forever, and NFC is still missing.
Why NFC? Where did you use NFC last time? Where can you use it? I don't have anything even remotely close to my area where I can use NFC, and use it for what? First we implement something then come up with ideas what to use it for? Childish.

Bring on competition maybe Apple will get it's mojo back, because it has not innovated in years!
Who said innovations must come every year?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Why NFC? Where did you use NFC last time? Where can you use it? I don't have anything even remotely close to my area where I can use NFC, and use it for what? First we implement something then come up with ideas what to use it for? Childish.
I use NFC everyday. It has many uses beyond payments.
The S-Beam feature works as advertised. I also use NFC tags to change my phone settings when I get in my car and when I am in the office.
Tap and viola, my phone is on drive mode or my phone is is meeting mode.

Nothing childish about it at all. You sound like someone who is trying to justify the lack of a feature by dismissing its usefulness.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
I use NFC everyday. It has many uses beyond payments. The S-Beam feature works as advertised. I also use NFC tags to change my phone settings when I get in my car and when I am in the office.
Tap and viola, my phone is on drive mode or my phone is is meeting mode.
Well, seriously, if you have to use external things (NFC tags) to compensate for something lacking in your phone (automatic recognition of your current location), it's called a clutch and not worth it.
I wouldn't even bother buying tags, sticking them to the walls all over the place and in my car, like a jerk.

Nothing childish about it at all. You sound like someone who is trying to justify the lack of a feature by dismissing its usefulness.
I don't use Siri, it's turned off completely in my iphone. I don't find it useful at all.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Well, seriously, if you have to use external things (NFC tags) to compensate for something lacking in your phone (automatic recognition of your current location), it's called a clutch and not worth it.
I wouldn't even bother buying tags, sticking them to the walls all over the place and in my car, like a jerk.
To each his own. ;)
I have yet to see a phone that can tell when it is in a car without being plugged into something.
A tiny NFC tag stuck inside my center console is not a "clutch", more like just another option.
And how do you come to the conclusion that sticking an NFC tag the size of postage stamp on your desk somehow makes one a "jerk"?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I can't believe they're still selling the Playbook. Everyone else has come out with Multiple different models since then.

They have units for sale, but they stopped manufacture months ago. In reality they can't even give them away. They beg you to buy them for £109 here in the UK.

mobilecal

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
At least iPhone, Android or WP do not require a additional server to recieve emails such as BB does.

Even worse is when you do not have a BESR you will need your carrier to route the emails for you and you cannot sync contacts and calander which his crap.

This isn't the case with BlackBerry 10.

mobilecal

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
This is their rumored Super Bowl Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY1ecfWT3GQ&sns=em

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

I don't use Siri, it's turned off completely in my iphone. I don't find it useful at all.

You can tuck in your phone to NFC devices to instantly have the effect.

Geofencing, or by your words .. automatic recognition of your current location takes time, not to mention if you have bad signal or inside a building, it wouldn't be accurate.

/Boom

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Just reading through some of the posts here, and I really don't get why it's Apple vs. Android. There are a ton of companies who make Android based phones. Why does Apple have to compete against several other companies like its 5 on 1 or 10 on 1?

Coming from an SG3 to a 5 I know what Android is, and what the appeal is...it just baffles me why Apple has to compete against LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC and all the others in these 'sales' figures. If it takes 4 or 5 top well known other companies to compete against one company, Apple, then that says enough by itself.

As far as BB the more competition the better but I think they need some quick updates to fix some stuff. Watched a ton of reviews and they have some stuff that needs to get fixed quickly. Hope they make it...more choice is better.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Evil Samsung? Get over it dude :rolleyes:

Apple is as evil as they come

So who is refusing to pay money to hundreds of employees who got cancer through exposure to chemicals? Samsung or Apple? Hint: The company name starts with an S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.