Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
How long have your replacements been taking? My imac has a yellow screen, really bad. My 09 27" had yellow tint, but not this bad. But my replacement time looks like it's going to be the same wait as my original order.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
How long have your replacements been taking? My imac has a yellow screen, really bad. My 09 27" had yellow tint, but not this bad. But my replacement time looks like it's going to be the same wait as my original order.

replacements are prioritized at the top of the queue, even though your online order status won't reflect it. my replacements took about a week each time.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
replacements are prioritized at the top of the queue, even though your online order status won't reflect it. my replacements took about a week each time.

That's what I thought because my buddy bought an iPhone 5 preorder, then it was 2-3 weeks I think, and he got his replacement in less than a week. Thanks 4 the input. What was wrong with yours?

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
That's what I thought because my buddy bought an iPhone 5 preorder, then it was 2-3 weeks I think, and he got his replacement in less than a week. Thanks 4 the input. What was wrong with yours?

Got it. The iMac replacement process was really smooth for me, thankfully. You should be in good hands.

I had some bad backlight bleeding on my first iMac. My replacement actually was much worse and had really bad yellowing. But the next one was great.

I'm curious, when you say you have yellowing on your screen, is it that one part of the screen is more yellow than the other? Or is it that the whole screen seem yellow? Reason I ask is because the new iMacs seem to have their color calibrated warmly (which I actually like), which makes whites look yellower at first glance. If it's consistently yellowish on the whole screen, you probably don't have a defective display. The problematic cases are when, for example, the bottom half of the screen is much yellower than the top half. I've seen that, and that's ugly.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Got it. The iMac replacement process was really smooth for me, thankfully. You should be in good hands.

I had some bad backlight bleeding on my first iMac. My replacement actually was much worse and had really bad yellowing. But the next one was great.

I'm curious, when you say you have yellowing on your screen, is it that one part of the screen is more yellow than the other? Or is it that the whole screen seem yellow? Reason I ask is because the new iMacs seem to have their color calibrated warmly (which I actually like), which makes whites look yellower at first glance. If it's consistently yellowish on the whole screen, you probably don't have a defective display. The problematic cases are when, for example, the bottom half of the screen is much yellower than the top half. I've seen that, and that's ugly.

Here is what mine looks like. The left half looks yellow to me. Is this what you had?

photoosj.jpg

photo2rjd.jpg

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Here is what mine looks like. The left half looks yellow to me. Is this what you had?

photoosj.jpg

photo2rjd.jpg

Yikes, I suppose so. Mine was more top to bottom gradation from white to yellow. Do you notice this in everyday use?

edit: reason I ask is because test screens and test patterns always tend to reveal flaws. I think it's better to gauge based on real-world usage. For example, because my screen was yellower on the bottom, it would make gmail look weird for me. Emails at the top of the list would like white while emails on the bottom looked yellow.. and that was distracting.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Yikes, I suppose so. Mine was more top to bottom gradation from white to yellow. Do you notice this in everyday use?

edit: reason I ask is because test screens and test patterns always tend to reveal flaws. I think it's better to gauge based on real-world usage. For example, because my screen was yellower on the bottom, it would make gmail look weird for me. Emails at the top of the list would like white while emails on the bottom looked yellow.. and that was distracting.

For me, right now the left side of my browser screen looks slightly yellow to me on the white background if I make my browser window full screen. In pictures I don't notice it, but on a solid color screen the left half of the screen always looks yellower than the right. I looked back at your thread and I think my screen looks like yours did in the pictures you posted. This is my fourth iMac and I'm taking it back.

I notice it a lot in Windows 8. When the full-screen apps start there is short period of time with a splash screen. It is very easy to see when that happens because it's a solid color screen with a logo in the center. And of course watching movies or playing dark games like Diablo 3 is horrible.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
For me, right now the left side of my browser screen looks slightly yellow to me on the white background if I make my browser window full screen. In pictures I don't notice it, but on a solid color screen the left half of the screen always looks yellower than the right. I looked back at your thread and I think my screen looks like yours did in the pictures you posted. This is my fourth iMac and I'm taking it back.

I notice it a lot in Windows 8. When the full-screen apps start there is short period of time with a splash screen. It is very easy to see when that happens because it's a solid color screen with a logo in the center. And of course watching movies or playing dark games like Diablo 3 is horrible.

Yikes, that's really unfortunate. I'd definitely caution against using iphone photos to diagnose, as cameras tend to over-exaggerate any screen issues. So trust your eyes. Sounds like your eyes are telling you bad things about this one. Sorry to hear about that. I was starting to lose hope after I had to initiate a second replacement, but it luckily worked out for me. Sounds like Apple needs to think long and hard about QC.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
Just want to post an update about my replacement situation. As a recap:

- My 1st iMac had a yellow\unevenly lit display.

- My 2nd iMac had image retention issues and it would make a ticking\popping sound (which seemed happen when the screen brightness changed).

After writing to Tim Cook and being assisted by an "Executive Customer Support Representative", I received my 3rd iMac today... and so far I'm happy to say that I haven't noticed any major issues.

One thing I did notice though is that the speakers on this unit sound MUCH better than the first two units. The sound is much fuller, more bass. Perhaps I had a speaker issue with the first two units and didn't realize it?

Anyhow, I'm hoping that 3rd time is a charm for me and that I don't run into any issues with this unit.

To those who are having issues, keep trying! I know it can be frustrating but it is possible to get a good unit... and once you do you'll be very pleased!

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010

The bottom half of the display is really yellow. It was really bad more towards the bottom right of the screen, the bottom left half was pretty noticeable, but no where as bad as the right. Hopefully my next one will be good!

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
The bottom half of the display is really yellow. It was really bad more towards the bottom right of the screen, the bottom left half was pretty noticeable, but no where as bad as the right. Hopefully my next one will be good!

yeah, mine still has some slight yellowing toward the bottom but it's not as bad as the first two i had.. doesn't really bother me and i have to look for it.. i'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a perfect screen.. but mine is pretty darned good

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
I received my 3rd iMac today... and so far I'm happy to say that I haven't noticed any major issues.

Well, looks like I spoke too soon...

After using my new iMac for a few hours I realized it has some major image retention issues, worst than my 2nd unit.

It looks like I'll be calling the Apple Executive Customer Support Rep that I've been dealing with to voice my frustration and disappointment. All of the issues I've had so far with the 3 iMacs I've received are due to bad displays. Something has got to give.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Ouch! This thread makes me very scared on what kind of machine I'll end up with!
And what scares me the most is that in US the replacement process must be way smoother than in other countries.

I'm in Greece and the thought of having to ask for a replacement makes me cringe. On top of that the wait time is different for sure. So a month's wait for a replacement might be expected.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Ouch! This thread makes me very scared on what kind of machine I'll end up with!
And what scares me the most is that in US the replacement process must be way smoother than in other countries.

I'm in Greece and the thought of having to ask for a replacement makes me cringe. On top of that the wait time is different for sure. So a month's wait for a replacement might be expected.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I hear you. I'm in Hungary, and trying to return anything can be incredibly difficult. In the US, maybe, people can return 3-4 iMacs if that's what it takes to get a decent screen. Here, I dunno....:(

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
I hear you. I'm in Hungary, and trying to return anything can be incredibly difficult. In the US, maybe, people can return 3-4 iMacs if that's what it takes to get a decent screen. Here, I dunno....:(

Yep that's for sure. It would get really ugly trying to return a Mac for the 3rd time...

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Well, looks like I spoke too soon...

After using my new iMac for a few hours I realized it has some major image retention issues, worst than my 2nd unit.

It looks like I'll be calling the Apple Executive Customer Support Rep that I've been dealing with to voice my frustration and disappointment. All of the issues I've had so far with the 3 iMacs I've received are due to bad displays. Something has got to give.

just out of curiosity, how long do you have the screen static before IR like that shows up? I haven't noticed IR on my iMac but I've never tested for it.. not sure if it'd be a big issue for me either way

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
just out of curiosity, how long do you have the screen static before IR like that shows up? I haven't noticed IR on my iMac but I've never tested for it.. not sure if it'd be a big issue for me either way

Honestly, if you do not notice anything in regular use, don't go looking for it ; )

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York

Not that long. Probably 15 minutes or so. I was working on an old MacBook Pro to transfer over files to the new iMac while I left those screens up.

Funny thing is that I tried an online image retention test soon after I turned on my new iMac and it looked good. But after using the new unit for a few hours (not doing anything intense though) the screen easily retained those images.

----------

Honestly, if you do not notice anything in regular use, don't go looking for it ; )

I don't understand why people say this. Most of us spend a good deal of money on these iMacs, why would we not make sure that all is well?

Would you not buy a car without checking under the hood? Would you buy a house without getting a home inspection?

What's the harm in checking for known issues? Wouldn't it be better to discover discover these issues now while we can get replacements rather than wait months or years when it's less likely to get the issues fixed?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I haven't seen any image retention with my of my iMacs, but I'm a bit sad that my replacement 27" iMac (first one had insane buzzing under GPU load) has a nice piece of dirt in between the glass and the LCD. And because they're fused together, there's no way to get the dirt out!

:(

*sigh..*

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
FYI, I just exchanged my 2nd iMac (first one had crazy buzzing, and second one had a piece of dirt under the glass), and the third one is absolutely appalling.

Here's a picture of the insane light bleed. I'm not talking about the viewing angles in the top left and top right - that's unfortunately normal with these IPS panels. I'm talking about that big splotch of bleed at the bottom of the screen on the left. It's absolutely horrible, and insanely distracting.

Thankfully the Apple store had more high-end 27" iMacs in stock, and so I was able to get back to the store and swap it out. I haven't had a huge amount of time to put this new one through its paces, but first impressions are much better. No insane bleed, that's for sure.

Here's a pick of the iMac I returned. This is MEDIUM brightness. It's always easy to tell bleed from just IPS viewing-angle deficiencies. The viewing-angle deficiencies have a characteristic about them that's easy to spot, whereas Bleed looks very.... well... you can tell.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 65

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
FYI, I just exchanged my 2nd iMac (first one had crazy buzzing, and second one had a piece of dirt under the glass), and the third one is absolutely appalling.

Here's a picture of the insane light bleed. I'm not talking about the viewing angles in the top left and top right - that's unfortunately normal with these IPS panels. I'm talking about that big splotch of bleed at the bottom of the screen on the left. It's absolutely horrible, and insanely distracting.

Thankfully the Apple store had more high-end 27" iMacs in stock, and so I was able to get back to the store and swap it out. I haven't had a huge amount of time to put this new one through its paces, but first impressions are much better. No insane bleed, that's for sure.

Here's a pick of the iMac I returned. This is MEDIUM brightness. It's always easy to tell bleed from just IPS viewing-angle deficiencies. The viewing-angle deficiencies have a characteristic about them that's easy to spot, whereas Bleed looks very.... well... you can tell.

yikes, that unfortunate. that spot on the bottom left is exactly where my first two imacs had backlight bleeding. I don't know what it is about the manufacturing process, but that seems to be the trouble spot, based on at least what i've seen.. i luckily got got a good one on the third attempt, but it was not a fun process doing 2 replacements.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Tell me about it. This 4th one isn't 100% perfect, but I'm so drained from exchanging iMacs I'm not sure I can continue to do it. For the record, I cannot believe I'm on my fourth, especially after my 2009 iMac lasted me three years and was fine on the first try....

Also, I think some of the backlight bleed is caused by the panels being pressed (at the point of manufacture) too hard against either the glass or the aluminum of the iMac. You can press around the bleed area and it "shifts" around a lot. I have no way of proving this, of course, but it does seem pressure related.

Last edited:

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Just returned from the Apple store today, exchanging for my 5th unit and I am so happy I received a perfect uniformed screen. Each of my previous units all had backlight bleeding and one of the common areas was exactly as the aforementioned user above. However, going through these exchanges was no pleasing experience, especially the current one I own. Upon pointing out the defective areas (backlight bleeding & dead pixels), the genius was absolutely rude in denying my claims when he didn't even attempt to check carefully, only glanced and stated there were no issues. So I than decided to persuade them for a replacement and it worked out fine, but trying to identify my purchase statement was the real hassle. I waited 2 entire hours sitting idly as they tried to figure out why the system wasn't projecting my purchase, and when I finally get the chance to exchange they give me the BS lecture that this machine isn't right for me. At that point I gave up asking nicely and requested a replacement, so long as I won't be able to exchange ever again and it worked. Now here I am, fully satisfied and I'm hoping there is no image retention or other issues in the upcoming weeks. I'm done playing the exchanging game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.