Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:53 PM   #276
aaron.lee2006
macrumors 65816
 
aaron.lee2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Send a message via AIM to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via MSN to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via Skype™ to aaron.lee2006
Some of these "BB Sux" comments are laughable and the people writing them probably have never experienced the QNX operating system. It's great. Hoping to see a great Canadian company back in the competition.
__________________
MacBook Pro: 2.8/4GB/500GB HD/9600M GT 512
23" ACD
aaron.lee2006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:55 PM   #277
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
That timeshift camera feature interface is just amazing!
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:09 PM   #278
absurdamerica
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
Couldn't this be said about what BlackBerry is doing? They lack many of the apps that Apple and Android has but look where Apple started, who didn't have many of the capabilities and features that it now touts. Everybody started from the bottom up and built what the mobile world is like today. BlackBerry fell and is behind the curve on many things but to expect it to come out of the gate running with full-blown features is ridiculous.
Apple beat Android to the punch and Android still delivered a competitive experience for it's users. The fact is that the market expects more now than it did prior to the maturation of iOS and Android.

The marketplace isn't fair. Expectations will be set based on what alternatives a customer can choose in lieu of a particular product. Blackberry has to hope it can survive long enough to bring itself up to compete with iOS and Android.

If anything is "ridiculous" it's the fact that Microsoft and RIMM were both caught with their pants down. Both companies had a mobile OS to use as a launching point to compete with Apple and Google yet Apple and Google were both able to beat them to market with much better experiences from the ground up.
absurdamerica is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:13 PM   #279
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.lee2006 View Post
Some of these "BB Sux" comments are laughable and the people writing them probably have never experienced the QNX operating system. It's great. Hoping to see a great Canadian company back in the competition.
What the Playbook? It tanked hard.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:20 PM   #280
Sparkybc
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurdamerica View Post
If anything is "ridiculous" it's the fact that Microsoft and RIMM were both caught with their pants down. Both companies had a mobile OS to use as a launching point to compete with Apple and Google
Blackberry only has a operating system to compete now that's why BB10 was needed.. There is no way BB7 could even be in the same realm. If there will be a loser in it all it will be microsoft. They only wish they had almost 80 million customers. Like all products microsoft releases in the mobile world they fail.

WP8 will be like Zune soon enough!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
What the Playbook? It tanked hard.
They rushed it out and like the media trashed it to the ground.

The playbook still runs circles around the ipad mini and it's 2 years old. Playbook will be getting a reboot with BB10. Only ones who say it sucks is ones that never actually used it for a day.
Sparkybc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:22 PM   #281
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
brdeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brasil
Does it run a Symbian dialect, correct? It's nice knowing that this OS is still evolving even if Nokia stopped producing newer Symbian models.

The biggest mistake of Symbian was being a horrendous name. It was a nice OS until 2009, but Nokia opened too much branches like S40, Maemo, MeeGo, S60v5, S^3 and so on. This multi-ecosystem was a management nightmare, but it wasn't Symbian's fault. Qt was the possible "glue" by allowing portability between Nokia devices, but it was too late when Qt was mature enough for deploying apps for multiple OS without any re-coding.

Symbian had some nice features when multitasking was seen like an useless feature for smartphones. Symbian Belle FP2 wouldn't need too much time to reach Android and iOS main features, while preserving its strengths.
__________________
15" rMBP Early-2013, 2.4GHz. After 3 display replacements, I'm still seeing uniformity problems.
2009 Unibody White MacBook, 250GB 840 EVO SSD, 8GB
Mid-2010 MacMini, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, 16GB
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:44 PM   #282
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Does it run a Symbian dialect, correct? It's nice knowing that this OS is still evolving even if Nokia stopped producing newer Symbian models.

The biggest mistake of Symbian was being a horrendous name. It was a nice OS until 2009, but Nokia opened too much branches like S40, Maemo, MeeGo, S60v5, S^3 and so on. This multi-ecosystem was a management nightmare, but it wasn't Symbian's fault. Qt was the possible "glue" by allowing portability between Nokia devices, but it was too late when Qt was mature enough for deploying apps for multiple OS without any re-coding.

Symbian had some nice features when multitasking was seen like an useless feature for smartphones. Symbian Belle FP2 wouldn't need too much time to reach Android and iOS main features, while preserving its strengths.
QNX... not Symbian.
BB rewrote their OS from the ground up.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:51 PM   #283
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobwedgephil View Post
They did, and what shocks me is that Blackberry 10 no longer supports Push email unless using Exchange. A lot of people use Pop email accounts, which won't be push anymore.
This is simply not true.
__________________
Posted via some new Apple Device
MatthewStorm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:59 PM   #284
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkybc View Post
They rushed it out and like the media trashed it to the ground.

The playbook still runs circles around the ipad mini and it's 2 years old. Playbook will be getting a reboot with BB10. Only ones who say it sucks is ones that never actually used it for a day.
Used one, it sucked. Even at $99

RIM did a half arsed firmware update and pretty much allowed it to die. Why isn't BB10 available for the Playbook now? Is there even a beta? (after all the Z10 is available in the UK today why not release BB10 for the Playbook too).

If stock continues to drop as its been doing since the announcement I wouldn't hold my breath for BB10 the Playbook edition.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:07 PM   #285
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Used one, it sucked. Even at $99

RIM did a half arsed firmware update and pretty much allowed it to die. Why isn't BB10 available for the Playbook now? Is there even a beta? (after all the Z10 is available in the UK today why not release BB10 for the Playbook too).

If stock continues to drop as its been doing since the announcement I wouldn't hold my breath for BB10 the Playbook edition.
At the event yesterday they did reaffirm that the Playbook will get BB10 but they did not say when. I fancy they have enough on their plate at the moment with the phone to worry about the Playbook which was a sales flop. If, however, they somehow get traction with the phone, then it will no doubt appear on the Playbook.

However, with the great attrition of staff at RIM/Blackberry, I fancy very few resources are being thrown at the Playbook now.
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 PM   #286
j1787
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
What I believe they should of done.

I was hoping back in the day blackberry would purchase WebOS from palm. Integrate the great features of two and at least be relevant competition. Don't think this is going to cut it.
j1787 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:54 PM   #287
rostic83
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia, Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntcallr View Post
I am happy to have the Blackberry option again. If they make a good product... it give Apple more to strive to. Also, honestly Apple's email solution in the iphone kinda is lacking compared to blackberry.

I prefer having my emails more accessible than IOS can provide. Way better for work.

My inclination is to test the keyboard version... if i like it.. buy it and have both phones.
At least iPhone, Android or WP do not require a additional server to recieve emails such as BB does.

Even worse is when you do not have a BESR you will need your carrier to route the emails for you and you cannot sync contacts and calander which his crap.
rostic83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:37 PM   #288
xtremr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Just saw a review of it on youtube. It looks pretty decent and I really like how they did their calendar feature.
xtremr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:47 PM   #289
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I can't believe they're still selling the Playbook. Everyone else has come out with Multiple different models since then.
AutoUnion39 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:56 PM   #290
kot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkybc View Post
Most review sites are bias and against Blackberry for years. What they say who cares, it's real world people that use it everyday is what matter. Last time i checked when has apple innovated anything? The iphone is getting more and more stale every year they release more or less the same boring phone.
iPhone and iPad were two big innovations which changed the market.

Quote:
iOS is old and is showing it's age. It lacks most features new super phones have. Frankly apple has peeked and there is no innovation anymore. All they do with the iphone is faster processor, more memory, newer display is that innovation? Hardly.
Like Android is not. How does Galaxy S3 differ from S2? Yes, faster processor, more memory, worse quality display...


Quote:
4G took forever, and NFC is still missing.
Why NFC? Where did you use NFC last time? Where can you use it? I don't have anything even remotely close to my area where I can use NFC, and use it for what? First we implement something then come up with ideas what to use it for? Childish.

Quote:
Bring on competition maybe Apple will get it's mojo back, because it has not innovated in years!
Who said innovations must come every year?
kot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 AM   #291
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Why NFC? Where did you use NFC last time? Where can you use it? I don't have anything even remotely close to my area where I can use NFC, and use it for what? First we implement something then come up with ideas what to use it for? Childish.
I use NFC everyday. It has many uses beyond payments.
The S-Beam feature works as advertised. I also use NFC tags to change my phone settings when I get in my car and when I am in the office.
Tap and viola, my phone is on drive mode or my phone is is meeting mode.

Nothing childish about it at all. You sound like someone who is trying to justify the lack of a feature by dismissing its usefulness.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:34 AM   #292
kot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
I use NFC everyday. It has many uses beyond payments. The S-Beam feature works as advertised. I also use NFC tags to change my phone settings when I get in my car and when I am in the office.
Tap and viola, my phone is on drive mode or my phone is is meeting mode.
Well, seriously, if you have to use external things (NFC tags) to compensate for something lacking in your phone (automatic recognition of your current location), it's called a clutch and not worth it.
I wouldn't even bother buying tags, sticking them to the walls all over the place and in my car, like a jerk.

Quote:
Nothing childish about it at all. You sound like someone who is trying to justify the lack of a feature by dismissing its usefulness.
I don't use Siri, it's turned off completely in my iphone. I don't find it useful at all.
kot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:50 AM   #293
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Well, seriously, if you have to use external things (NFC tags) to compensate for something lacking in your phone (automatic recognition of your current location), it's called a clutch and not worth it.
I wouldn't even bother buying tags, sticking them to the walls all over the place and in my car, like a jerk.
To each his own.
I have yet to see a phone that can tell when it is in a car without being plugged into something.
A tiny NFC tag stuck inside my center console is not a "clutch", more like just another option.
And how do you come to the conclusion that sticking an NFC tag the size of postage stamp on your desk somehow makes one a "jerk"?
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:41 AM   #294
irnchriz
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I can't believe they're still selling the Playbook. Everyone else has come out with Multiple different models since then.
They have units for sale, but they stopped manufacture months ago. In reality they can't even give them away. They beg you to buy them for 109 here in the UK.
irnchriz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:41 PM   #295
shartypants
macrumors 6502a
 
shartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Welcome to 2013. The company is called Blackberry now. Not RIM
Ah, ok. Maybe they should be called Blackeye
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", iPad 4, iPhone 6
Love this new game!: Strategic Leap
shartypants is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:05 PM   #296
mobilecal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostic83 View Post
At least iPhone, Android or WP do not require a additional server to recieve emails such as BB does.

Even worse is when you do not have a BESR you will need your carrier to route the emails for you and you cannot sync contacts and calander which his crap.
This isn't the case with BlackBerry 10.
mobilecal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:49 PM   #297
mobilecal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
This is their rumored Super Bowl Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY1ecfWT3GQ&sns=em
mobilecal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:19 AM   #298
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Well, seriously, if you have to use external things (NFC tags) to compensate for something lacking in your phone (automatic recognition of your current location), it's called a clutch and not worth it.
I wouldn't even bother buying tags, sticking them to the walls all over the place and in my car, like a jerk.


I don't use Siri, it's turned off completely in my iphone. I don't find it useful at all.
You can tuck in your phone to NFC devices to instantly have the effect.

Geofencing, or by your words .. automatic recognition of your current location takes time, not to mention if you have bad signal or inside a building, it wouldn't be accurate.

/Boom
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:26 AM   #299
Belmont31R
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Just reading through some of the posts here, and I really don't get why it's Apple vs. Android. There are a ton of companies who make Android based phones. Why does Apple have to compete against several other companies like its 5 on 1 or 10 on 1?


Coming from an SG3 to a 5 I know what Android is, and what the appeal is...it just baffles me why Apple has to compete against LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC and all the others in these 'sales' figures. If it takes 4 or 5 top well known other companies to compete against one company, Apple, then that says enough by itself.


As far as BB the more competition the better but I think they need some quick updates to fix some stuff. Watched a ton of reviews and they have some stuff that needs to get fixed quickly. Hope they make it...more choice is better.
Belmont31R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:25 AM   #300
gnasher729
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNine View Post
Evil Samsung? Get over it dude

Apple is as evil as they come
So who is refusing to pay money to hundreds of employees who got cancer through exposure to chemicals? Samsung or Apple? Hint: The company name starts with an S.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIM rebranding, launching Blackberry 10 today ugahairydawgs Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Jan 30, 2013 01:06 PM
Apple Announces December Launches for iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and Fourth-Generation iPad in China MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 37 Dec 4, 2012 05:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC