Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Is it common for dust to get under the camera lens over time? It won't wipe off heck it could be a scratch its hard to tell from I can tell its not affecting my photos but I'm not a photographer so I could be taking cruddy pics I wouldn't know it. What recourse do I have if it is scratched I have insurance through Verizon .

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
been discussed a million times. some phones came from the factory this way too. bring it to an apple store and they can replace or clean it out for you. thats what i did when i noticed a small piece of dust under my lens.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Just came back from the store to do a swap because of a spot inside the lens. No charge.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I've had three iPhone 5s with dust spots on the camera sensors. Each was a little different and each took a different amount of time to develop the problem. Shortest was 2 weeks, longest was 2 months.

I live in Jersey, so it's a real pain in the backside for me. I'm going to get mine swapped at a store when I next go to the UK (I like to inspect the replacement for stuck pixels etc.).

I just hope that my next replacement is a later-made unit with better build quality.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I've had three iPhone 5s with dust spots on the camera sensors. Each was a little different and each took a different amount of time to develop the problem. Shortest was 2 weeks, longest was 2 months.

I live in Jersey, so it's a real pain in the backside for me. I'm going to get mine swapped at a store when I next go to the UK (I like to inspect the replacement for stuck pixels etc.).

I just hope that my next replacement is a later-made unit with better build quality.

Why is living in jersey a pain? Because u don't have a store near you? If so, it's not jersey that's a pain, it's the area u live in.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Why is living in jersey a pain? Because u don't have a store near you? If so, it's not jersey that's a pain, it's the area u live in.

I'm referring to the real Jersey, the island near France, not New Jersey. :rolleyes:

I actually work at the Apple Premium Reseller here and we can't sell or handle iPhones at all (due to there being no partner phone network here). Because Apple doesn't directly operate here, I'll have to take my iPhone to an Apple store in the UK to get it replaced.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm referring to the real Jersey, the island near France, not New Jersey. :rolleyes:

I actually work at the Apple Premium Reseller here and we can't sell or handle iPhones at all (due to there being no partner phone network here). Because Apple doesn't directly operate here, I'll have to take my iPhone to an Apple store in the UK to get it replaced.

As I am someone from New Jersey, I at least understood it as the island and not the state. Lol.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Mines had a spot on the camera for about a month now. I'm really not in a hurry to get it fixed, so I'll probably just wait a few more months. I was under the impression that they can just clean the lens instead of having to replace the whole phone..? Can they not just clean it, or could you tell them to replace the phone? Anyone have experience with this, outside of the initial 30 days?

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
How long did you have the phone before you noticed it? And glad you got a swap.

Got mine at launch. I have AppleCare+ but the genius said this issue is covered under standard warranty. So no charge.

At first, he said they'll try to clean or repair it. Then after a few minutes, he just said he'll give me a new phone. This in Philadelphia.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Got mine at launch. I have AppleCare+ but the genius said this issue is covered under standard warranty. So no charge.

apple took my phone in the back and within 5 mins came back out with the speck of dust removed. all covered under warranty as well.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
What model?

I'm finding its creeping in though the microphone hole on the back on the IP5. I wish it was easy to remove the back on the IP5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.