Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Opp
macrumors newbie

Nice project or something more??

1st off I'm very new to programming, automator, terminal, and applescript. I did a little c++ a couple years back but hardly remember anything at all.

I have this idea of writing a script or application that will automatically refresh, and instantly notify me of twitter posts from a particular user while it is open. I need it to be faster than refreshing mac app. Every second is precious

How hard would this be for a beginner? Would it be possible using applescript or terminal? I've basically dedicated this entire day to researching the beast way to accomplish this but haven't gotten far.
Opp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
rien333
macrumors regular

This seems like a rather hard task for a beginner, I think you should start smaller, especially considering the fact that this your first project.

Oh, and btw, if you're still going to do this, I would recommend that instead of constantly refreshing, you should search for a method for your application to get notified when a particular tweet is posted. This saves a lot of resources.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Persifleur
macrumors member

Curious why "[e]very second is precious" when listening to twitter, but if you're truly looking for low latency notification, I expect the streaming API is what you're looking for:

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/streaming-apis

However, this is not something I'd suggest tackling for your first application.
Persifleur is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming