Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin813

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
When I was on iOS 6.01 on my iPhone 5, I could easily connect to 3g (T-Mobile). The connection wouldn't be that strong, maybe like 3 bars, but i was at least 80x faster than edge. Toggling the 3G on/off button, I would see a small circle where the E was, then it would be 3G. Now in 6.1, i can never get 3G in the areas i use to. It does not even show the small circle where the Edge is supposed to be, and I am always stuck on edge. Is this only me, or has this happened to anyone else?

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
i have perfect bars on 3G. in iOS 6.0.1 i had issues where in some places it would say AT&T in the carrier since its factory unlocked iphone 4S instead of T-Mobile. but luckily that same day they released 6.1 beta 1 and it fixed the issue

JetsetJoey

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
T-Mobile 3G Reception Issue with iOS 6.1

When I was on iOS 6.01 on my iPhone 5, I could easily connect to 3g (T-Mobile). The connection wouldn't be that strong, maybe like 3 bars, but i was at least 80x faster than edge. Toggling the 3G on/off button, I would see a small circle where the E was, then it would be 3G. Now in 6.1, i can never get 3G in the areas i use to. It does not even show the small circle where the Edge is supposed to be, and I am always stuck on edge. Is this only me, or has this happened to anyone else?

I am having the EXACT same problem! I spent an hour on the phone with Apple Technical Support & T-Mobile Technical Support via a 3-way conference call & they deducted that the problem was the carrier version update packet contained within iOS 6.1. It was upgraded from 13.0 to 14.0.

What I did to try & remedy the problem was research how to 'revert' my Carrier Version from 14.0 back to 13.0 by replacing 5 files in the root directory (obviously the phone has to be JailBroken). Anyway, when I replaced the files I rebooted & observed that although the Carrier Version DID now read 13.0, the 3G reception STILL SUCKED!!!

Apple & T-Mobile better get together & figure this out if they plan on becoming partners!!!

Kevin813

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Really? When i upgraded to 6.1, i always noticed the carrier update, but never knew that was the source of the problem!

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Same with me here. My connectivity has been pretty bad since updating to 6.1 My sister used the 4, which hasn't been updated, has very strong signal comparing to mine. We are both on the same network w/ T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.