Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

What do you mean? I'm not a hotmail user, but I haven't heard anything not working with it.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

always worked for me

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011

Assuming your access to hotmail was through something other than their website, I'm thinking you've finally figured out how to set it up. Yay! :D

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?:confused:

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?:confused:

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.

I've had the account since 1998.... I used to have to go to the library in my town who have apple towers. It always worked fine from there.

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.
I had trouble when using my '09 MBP using both safari and sea lion.(To check my hotmail account, though, I will update with sea lion when it's necessary. (I maintain a website and sea lion has an html editor.)

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Yes, I'm sure Microsoft tried to make Hotmail as painful as possible for those not using IE at one stage to try to get them to use it, but I think they've all but given up these days. They don't even make IE for Macs anymore.

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
I actually don't know if I am using the POP3 or not? All I know is that it seemed to be working. In fact, I just checked it, and things are different. So maybe there were changes and they prevented me from logging on for however long it took to switch things around.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate

There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.

Maybe there was a glitch with Leopard.

Ashdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
Arkansas
I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.
Is it not working for you now... I'm on a Mid-2012 MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.