Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I think this company needs to be stopped. I recently sold them a used iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 20" Aluminum in what they claim is fair condition they only gave me $59 for it. I happen to be on ebay and see the gazelle store and see an imac like the one i sold in fair condition and they had a buy it now price of $ 359. So that means that they just made a $300 profit off my imac.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Why didn't you do your homework to see what other items in similier shape were going for? No body forced you to use Gazelle or go with the price they offered you.

I have done several transactions with them and have nothing but nice results. They are quick and easy and no hassle (ala ebay or craiglists).

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I use Gazelle frequently.

They give their potential customers an estimate up front. I have never recieved less than they have estimated. Two out of eight transactions I've completed, they paid me 15% more than the quote.

I really like Gazelle. No hassle, no responsibility dealing with crazy buyers off craigslist or ebay. Just go online, get a quote, put it in the box they send, and get a check... can't be beat :)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think this company needs to be stopped. I recently sold them a used iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 20" Aluminum in what they claim is fair condition they only gave me $59 for it.

Is that what they quoted you for it before sending it in or did they come back with a different quote after you shipped it? I've never used there service so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Is that what they quoted you for it before sending it in or did they come back with a different quote after you shipped it? I've never used there service so I'm not sure exactly how it works.
I'm pretty sure that unless you lied about the condition or model or what not, you get what you were quoted or more.

And, they're not making $300 in profit. They have overhead too. eBay fees are a decent percentage.

macguy90

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Stay far away from these kinds of sites!

I'm actually shocked that anybody has anything positive to say about companies like Gazelle. While it's not a "scam" because they do tell you the very low prices they will give you, it IS a complete ripoff. I don't think I can accurately describe how much I hate these sites like Gazelle. They low-ball you so much, who in their right minds would accept their offers? My guess is that there's people who are either too lazy, or too nervous for some reason, to post things for sale on Facebook, eBay, Craigslist, etc. so they use Gazelle and get ripped off. And please, if you truly do support sites like Gazelle, spare me the defensive replies because nobody reading this thread should trust Gazelle/similar sites.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Sites like Gazelle serve a purpose & offer convenience.

Gazelle is on top because they are smart, ethical & reliable. Don't like the pricing? Don't use them.

It's all very simple.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I've sold 4 iPhones to them and they gave me a very good price on all four.

Maybe it's a bad idea to sell an iMac to them but they give a lot for iPhones.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I'm actually shocked that anybody has anything positive to say about companies like Gazelle. While it's not a "scam" because they do tell you the very low prices they will give you, it IS a complete ripoff. I don't think I can accurately describe how much I hate these sites like Gazelle. They low-ball you so much, who in their right minds would accept their offers? My guess is that there's people who are either too lazy, or too nervous for some reason, to post things for sale on Facebook, eBay, Craigslist, etc. so they use Gazelle and get ripped off. And please, if you truly do support sites like Gazelle, spare me the defensive replies because nobody reading this thread should trust Gazelle/similar sites.

not a ripoff if you don't want to worry about selling the item

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I sold them two iPhone 4s (4 not 4s) and got a good price. I knew going into it that I'd not get as much as craigslist to ebay but I did not want the hassle. Plus when I sold them, the iPhone 5 was out so the market value was sinking do to lack of demand and increased supply.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I sold them my 3GS which was well over two years old and I still got $90 for it. I paid $200 for it so I got back nearly 50% of my money. I considered it a decent deal.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I sold them my 3GS which was well over two years old and I still got $90 for it. I paid $200 for it so I got back nearly 50% of my money. I considered it a decent deal.

Except you probably paid a lot more than the $200 that you think you paid for it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Except you probably paid a lot more than the $200 that you think you paid for it.

I don't take into consideration the cellular subsidy because that's just the way the system works.

Agreed. The monthly cost of the carrier here in the US is the same whether I bring my own phone to the party or buy one subsidized. I'm paying the same amount is get near what I paid for from gazelle is great. I got if memory serves me I got 135 for the iPhone 4 and that's not much less then the 199 I paid.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

Sounds like you don't understand the point of these types of businesses.

They aren't holding a gun to your head and forcing you to take that deal.

If you want more money, you can sell it however you'd like, but Gazelle (and other resellers/pawnshops/whatever) are in the business to make money, so it's not like they are going to give you the same price that you would make on a private sale because then there would be no room for profit.

For many people who have old devices sitting around, just sending them in and getting some easy cash is a good solution. I don't know why anyone would want to deal with all the crap, problems, and scam artists that goes along with ebay or craigslist.

mcdonsco

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
I think this company needs to be stopped. I recently sold them a used iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 20" Aluminum in what they claim is fair condition they only gave me $59 for it. I happen to be on ebay and see the gazelle store and see an imac like the one i sold in fair condition and they had a buy it now price of $ 359. So that means that they just made a $300 profit off my imac.

Sorry, but you should have done your research...when you're lazy about resale; you typically end up getting screwed and your laziness is EXACTLY what Gazelle and other companies like it depend on.

I just checked them for giggles to see what they would pay for a NEW galaxy note 3 ($700 new, $550+ on eBay)...$300...

They are a complete rip off.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Sorry, but you should have done your research...when you're lazy about resale; you typically end up getting screwed and your laziness is EXACTLY what Gazelle and other companies like it depend on.

I just checked them for giggles to see what they would pay for a NEW galaxy note 3 ($700 new, $550+ on eBay)...$300...

Resale indeed nets higher prices elsewhere... but about now the OPs iMac might be worth $59... It is 3 years after he posted, after all :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

When you consider the fact they have to resale the unit and make a profit they're not a resale. Its like trading in a car to a dealership. You'll get far less money from them, then if you went and sold the car yourself. The convenience factor is important and so saving time and headaches count for something.

Whether you decide to use them or not is your decision and since you think they're a rip off then its safe to find a different solution.

I hear of too many issues with selling phones online now a days, to the point I'd rather not deal with those hassles and headaches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.