Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
dotmarckr
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro trade for iMac Question

I've been considering trading my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15" C2D 2.53 GHz 8GB laptop for an iMac for it's screen size and because I'm already using my laptop as a desktop pretty much and I have a MacBook Air for portability. I've gotten a hit on Craigslist to trade for a 2008 iMac 24" C2D 3.06GHz 4GB.

What are you opinions on this? Should I make the trade? Why or why not?
dotmarckr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I wouldn't do it. It's like trading in this year's tech for something from last year. Less RAM in there too.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I wouldn't do it. It's like trading in this year's tech for something from last year. Less RAM in there too.
Agreed.

You're probably looking to do a flat out trade so you don't have to spend any money, but I think you'd be better off just getting an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I use this monitor with my MBP when I want to use it in 'desktop' mode am and very happy with its performance.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I concur with the external monitor approach instead. I added a Cinema Display to my MBP and have been very happy with it. Got it dirt cheap off Craigslist. Added a full sized keyboard. Takes a few seconds to disconnect and stuff in my backpack and I'm on the road.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
eric/

Yeah I wouldn't do it
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmarckr View Post
I've been considering trading my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15" C2D 2.53 GHz 8GB laptop for an iMac for it's screen size and because I'm already using my laptop as a desktop pretty much and I have a MacBook Air for portability. I've gotten a hit on Craigslist to trade for a 2008 iMac 24" C2D 3.06GHz 4GB.

What are you opinions on this? Should I make the trade? Why or why not?
No. You're making a downgrade in terms of everything but CPU speed and screen size. The RAM type is slower (DDR2 vs. DDR3). If you want a larger screen, you're much better off just buying an external monitor. Apple sells as large as a 27" LED display (just make sure you don't buy the Thunderbolt one by mistake) or you can go with literally any other brand for cheaper.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:21 PM   #7
thekev
macrumors 603

I wouldn't want a computer of that age with unknown history. The displays in these things do not last forever. With the one you already own, you know what is working.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice