Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1
cinnabun93
macrumors newbie

iMac 1,999 model or 2,199 Retina MBP?

I am debating which one I should buy. I was really impressed with how thin the new iMac was and I was just wondering which one was better. I don't need portability but it wouldn't hurt. I just want to know which machine will be faster.
cinnabun93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun93 View Post
I am debating which one I should buy. I was really impressed with how thin the new iMac was and I was just wondering which one was better. I don't need portability but it wouldn't hurt. I just want to know which machine will be faster.
The retina MacBook Pro will be faster due to the SSD. Though if you were to configure the the iMac to have the 768GB SSD, it'd be faster than the retina MacBook Pro. Honestly, if you are only considering those two, I'd go with the iMac, but really, I'm not a fan of either option due to how disposable Apple has made both machines. I'd much rather something that has a fighting chance at having the drive reasonably upgraded.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun93 View Post
If you don't need portability the iMac is a better machine under every aspect. Big screen, faster components (both the cpu and gpu), no battery, definitely more resistant to time passing. Add the fusion drive and you will get a top notch machine. More ram you can add later at cheap prices (like from crucial.com).
nexusrule is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice