Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinnabun93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I am debating which one I should buy. I was really impressed with how thin the new iMac was and I was just wondering which one was better. I don't need portability but it wouldn't hurt. I just want to know which machine will be faster.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I am debating which one I should buy. I was really impressed with how thin the new iMac was and I was just wondering which one was better. I don't need portability but it wouldn't hurt. I just want to know which machine will be faster.

The retina MacBook Pro will be faster due to the SSD. Though if you were to configure the the iMac to have the 768GB SSD, it'd be faster than the retina MacBook Pro. Honestly, if you are only considering those two, I'd go with the iMac, but really, I'm not a fan of either option due to how disposable Apple has made both machines. I'd much rather something that has a fighting chance at having the drive reasonably upgraded.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012

If you don't need portability the iMac is a better machine under every aspect. Big screen, faster components (both the cpu and gpu), no battery, definitely more resistant to time passing. Add the fusion drive and you will get a top notch machine. More ram you can add later at cheap prices (like from crucial.com).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.