Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
So i want next month or so to buy an 21.5" imac (2.9Ghz, fusion drive,650m geforce). I think i will keep this at least 3-4 years.So i read all over the place, only here on this forum at least a dozen of people who complain about this new machine, and attention in the manufacturing of apple products began early with the iphone 5. My question is...this issues will be there still after 1-2 months ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What issues specifically? I've not really followed the iMac, but I'll be in the market myself and the low end machine is high on my list (or a Mac Mini + monitor)

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
In my desktop pc if the main board have issue after 1-2 years i'll change it. If my network will have problems i will change it as well..but with this new imac i want to make sure that everything is in it will work fine at least 4 years.. because i cannot change anything without taking to an service authorized

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No argument there, but you asked
only here on this forum at least a dozen of people who complain about this new machine
What problems is the new iMac experiencing? Are the number of people complaining consistent with a design or manufacturing flaw or more likely a defective component

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So i want next month or so to buy an 21.5" imac (2.9Ghz, fusion drive,650m geforce). I think i will keep this at least 3-4 years.So i read all over the place, only here on this forum at least a dozen of people who complain about this new machine, and attention in the manufacturing of apple products began early with the iphone 5. My question is...this issues will be there still after 1-2 months ?

Got mine at launch and have had zero issues. You get a slightly distorted view of apple hardware from this site. For everyone moaning about their issues Thera are probably 100 who are perfectly happy. As your planning on keeping it a long time (like me) I suggest you upgrade the RAM as well. It's no longer upgradable without stripping your machine down on the 21".

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
my desktop pc with 4 gb of ram gave me a life without worries in last 3 years so for me 8gb ram will be more than enough.
People has scratches on their imacs, they have issues with the wifi(that disconnects often), fusion drive that after 4-5 weeks loose of its power speed, screen problems like bleeding or yellow spots etc)

And i really love the spec/design of the imac and will be more than usefuly for me and i love its practicality being just one cable computer(power cord).

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
my desktop pc with 4 gb of ram gave me a life without worries in last 3 years so for me 8gb ram will be more than enough.
People has scratches on their imacs, they have issues with the wifi(that disconnects often), fusion drive that after 4-5 weeks loose of its power speed, screen problems like bleeding or yellow spots etc)

And i really love the spec/design of the imac and will be more than usefuly for me and i love its practicality being just one cable computer(power cord).

Well, for those issues you can take it back and have them replace it at the Apple store, since it'll be under warranty.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Yea, but some people have replaced their iMacs 2-3 times...i don't want to give almost 2000$ for something that almost i'll have to return. Maybe i'll wait a few months and maybe this issues will be gone

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

First off, you're being way too vague about the issues people are having with the 21.5" iMac. Secondly, going from a desktop PC, you are making a few sacrifices such as lack of easily upgradable/replaceable storage. On the 21.5" iMac you need to pre-configure it with 16GB of RAM or you're stuck with 8GB unless you go through the arduous task yourself of upgrading it. You're also stuck with the GeForce GT 650M (or 640M if you decide to go with the lower-end model). If you are fine with that, then it is a decent enough machine.

The only issues that I've been reading about with regards to the new iMacs are with the 27" models. The 21.5" models, from what I can tell, seem to be more solid than any 21.5" iMacs that have come before it. I don't think you will complain about it and I think you will be happy. Though, given that it is an iMac, buy AppleCare as that'll cover you for three out of your three to four year period of owning the machine.

The only thing that might annoy you (and was the thing that has forever deterred me from getting an iMac in the future) is that it is, by far, the hardest Mac to upgrade the storage on. 1TB will be nice for today; you might want more tomorrow, and that's harder to rectify on the iMac than any other Mac. If that doesn't bother you or if you aren't worried about it, I say go for it.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
About the specs i''m fine because this desktop pc that i own based on specs is a little low(i5 661 dual core at 3.3ghz, Gts 250, 4 gb ram . 500 hdd) than the imac (21.5 quad 2.9ghz, 650M, 8 G ram with fusion drive). So i don't worry about that...i'm worry about the apple premium and care..because all starts with iphone 5..all their products in the first 2-3 months they have manufacturing issues like scratches etc. I hope that begin with March the attention at the details will be up to date again

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
About the specs i''m fine because this desktop pc that i own based on specs is a little low(i5 661 dual core at 3.3ghz, Gts 250, 4 gb ram . 500 hdd) than the imac (21.5 quad 2.9ghz, 650M, 8 G ram with fusion drive). So i don't worry about that...i'm worry about the apple premium and care..because all starts with iphone 5..all their products in the first 2-3 months they have manufacturing issues like scratches etc. I hope that begin with March the attention at the details will be up to date again

Each product may or may not have its own issues. It's never a guarantee that any of their products will have issues. So far, the 21.5" iMac seems to be free of issues where the 27" is having screen lamination problems (bubbles) and image retention issues and heat issues. You're probably fine to buy now. The iPhone 5 is a unique case as no other Apple product has those specific scratching issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.