Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Hi everyone, my 27" iMac is due to be delivered tomorrow however I noticed that when ordering I didn't need to buy Apple Care because i get it for free (3 year one) with being a university student and getting the HE discount. However since ordering my iMac I have not heard anything about the Apple care and how I will receive it? Surely I should get some document to say that I have the Apple Care? There has been no mention of it by Apple since ordering. Has anyone else experiences this?

Another question what exactly does Apple Care cover? I've never owned an iMac before so I'm a little clueless on this.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Just Go here and put in your serial number. It will tell you about any Apple Care on your iMac.

And here is what it covers.

When I bought my (2011) iMac in Oct, 2012, I got Applecare at the time of purchase. I, too, received no documentation, but I checked on line with my serial number and saw the coverage was entered.

Last edited:

pob42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Sheffield, UK
The on-line check might not show the extended AppleCare straight away. It sometimes takes 2-3 months from purchase on the HE store for the extra to be applied.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
As long as I have got the Apple Care then that's cool, cuss the reason I didn't buy it was because I saw it was free. But with a few people on this forum saying there are problems with the new iMacs, and never owning an iMac before i just wanted to know that I've got the Apple care and that I'm in safe hands!!

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
The on-line check might not show the extended AppleCare straight away. It sometimes takes 2-3 months from purchase on the HE store for the extra to be applied.

I got my iMac on the 16th Jan and got my AppleCare documents through yesterday in fact, till 2016.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I got my iMac on the 16th Jan and got my AppleCare documents through yesterday in fact, till 2016.

Did you have the extended AC for free because you are an High Education Student or did you pay extra for AC? The OP was referring to the enrolment in the warranty extension for free given to HE students in UK

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Usually you will receive an applecare certificate in the post sometime after your item is delivered. From past experiences, it can vary from a couple of weeks after to delivery to a couple of months. It will arrive though :)

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Did you have the extended AC for free because you are an High Education Student or did you pay extra for AC? The OP was referring to the enrolment in the warranty extension for free given to HE students in UK

I bought it through HE yes, hence my reply to this thread specifically. If you buy it separately as a retail customer you get it at the same time as your order IIRC.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
my applecare protection plan certificate came in the post this morning
no damn imac though

but i do have its serial number :)

( yes i'm a student too)

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
ahahahah... this is really hilarious, getting the Apple Care docs before the actual machine they refer to..:confused::confused:

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
ahahahah... this is really hilarious, getting the Apple Care docs before the actual machine they refer to..:confused::confused:

I'm unamused. The iMac is sat at Heathrow stuck due to customs paperwork

Fwiw. I upgraded the free HE AC to include telephone support.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
oiliymad, sorry did not want to appear rude at all with my comment.
I fully understand your situation but consider yourself lucky as the new orders will be now delivered in 4-6 weeks...

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
oiliymad, sorry did not want to appear rude at all with my comment.
I fully understand your situation but consider yourself lucky as the new orders will be now delivered in 4-6 weeks...

i didnt think you were rude. :)

im unamused with Apple. you lot are fine :)

me lucky? i do consider myself fortunate that I could afford to buy such a beast in the first place. - But i've had no imac for 3 weeks now as the old one broke a week after ordering. so tempers are frayed

Its the people who ordered from resellers who I feel sorry for.

it will be 4 weeks fro me, assuming they can get it to me by Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I've waited my turn :)

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Thank you for the replying guys. My iMac came about half an hour ago. Just setting it up and migrating some of my stuff over. Is there anything I should do to test for screen issues that people have mentioned or would I know if there was a problem??

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Thank you for the replying guys. My iMac came about half an hour ago. Just setting it up and migrating some of my stuff over. Is there anything I should do to test for screen issues that people have mentioned or would I know if there was a problem??

i wouldn't go looking for faults.. because you WILL find imperfections and it WILL bug the crap out of you. once you know about a tiny thing you wont be able to bleach that thought out of your brain!

me? im planning on checking it over cosmetically, checking the spec and then migration assistant and then use it.

if there is a problem, you will see it in normal use, else its not a real problem, right?

and applecare will look after you if there is an issue .

enjoy it, dont worry over it :)

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
i wouldn't go looking for faults.. because you WILL find imperfections and it WILL bug the crap out of you. once you know about a tiny thing you wont be able to bleach that thought out of your brain!

me? im planning on checking it over cosmetically, checking the spec and then migration assistant and then use it.

if there is a problem, you will see it in normal use, else its not a real problem, right?

and applecare will look after you if there is an issue .

enjoy it, dont worry over it :)

everything looks great so far, the screen is bright and there are no cosmetic problems that i can see. Migration assistant worked well :)

How do i know how much of the SSD i have left on the fusion drive?? Like with a HDD it says 3.TB for example but i cant find where it says the GB left of the SSD.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
everything looks great so far, the screen is bright and there are no cosmetic problems that i can see. Migration assistant worked well :)

How do i know how much of the SSD i have left on the fusion drive?? Like with a HDD it says 3.TB for example but i cant find where it says the GB left of the SSD.

sorry cant help you.. i don't have mine yet..

maybe that arstechnica article has the answer?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/more-on-fusion-drive-how-it-works-and-how-to-roll-your-own/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.