Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Odd Mountain Lion Crashing Bug Brings Down Nearly Any App

One of the fastest-spreading stories of the weekend has been a strange OS X Mountain Lion bug that can crash almost any Mac app running any version of OS X 10.8, reported on Open Radar.

The initial bug report stated that typing 'File:///' (without the quotes) into almost any app causes the app to crash.

Follow-up testing has shown that the final character needn't be a forward-slash, with almost any character after 'File://' triggering the bug. The issue is also speed-dependent: leaving a brief pause between typing // and the next character will prevent the crash from occurring.

More embarrassingly still for Apple, filing a crash report causes both Crash Reporter and the Console apps to crash. The Console crash can only be cured by running a terminal command:

sudo sed -i -e 's@File:///@F i l e : / / /@g' /var/log/system.log

The Next Web has a detailed analysis of the issue, noting that it is related to Apple's Data Detectors feature for automatically recognizing dates, locations and other information in text for addition to Address Book or Calendar entries.

While it is rather surprising that the issue took so long to receive publicity, Apple is now likely to include a fix for the problem sooner rather than later. It is, however, unknown whether Apple will squeeze a fix into the upcoming OS X 10.8.3 that has been in developer testing for over two months.

Article Link: Odd Mountain Lion Crashing Bug Brings Down Nearly Any App
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
More embarrassingly still for Apple, filing a crash report causes both Crash Reporter and the Console apps to crash.
Laughed way more than I should have.
zin is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Wokis
macrumors regular

Must. Test. Now!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #4
ConCat
Banned

Works in Safari. Neat!

It's a case-sensitive bug just so you all know.

EDIT: Oh yes, that makes part of the article incorrect: "with almost any character after 'file://' triggering the bug" That would be "File://"
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
bushido
macrumors 603

i remember back in the ML betas Safari would crash if u'd type xy.com/

not sure if i remember exactly, it had something to do with / as well however
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
dearfriendx
macrumors member

Yeah, this is SO utterly embarrassing. Most of the world is required to type 'file:/*' into most apps these days. Their stock is going to plummet
dearfriendx is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Leave it to Apple for this... Nice job.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:27 AM   #8
krishatesworld
macrumors newbie

Works in Chrome, too! Neat.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:27 AM   #9
ikramerica
macrumors regular

Yep, pretty neat. Took down Safari and NotePad. At least it doesn't lock up the Finder too. Pretty easy to get out of.

For the vast majority of us, we will never type that string. For a few of you, it's something you need to type often...
ikramerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:27 AM   #10
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Not a bug, it is a feature!
azentropy is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Works in Safari. Neat!

It's a case-sensitive bug just so you all know.
I suppose it's "neat", but keep in mind in that this kind of core system vulnerability could potentially be exploited to put malware everywhere.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #12
jpetticrew
macrumors 6502a

Didn't crash my terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 9.28.57 AM.png
Views:	141
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	394416  
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
needfx
macrumors 68020

buckle your seat-belts, crashes ahead
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #14
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Ugh. I just tried to contact an Apple representative about this, and as soon as I described the problem, they hung up on me. This bug goes deep, man.
AngerDanger is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Heh. Wonder if it effects any other versions of OS X.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #16
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
One of the fastest-spreading stories of the weekend has been a strange OS X Mountain Lion bug that can crash almost any Mac app running any version of OS X 10.8, reported on Open Radar.

That's a lot of running. I'm tired all ready.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #17
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
I suppose it's "neat", but keep in mind in that this kind of core system vulnerability could potentially be exploited to put malware everywhere.
I know. It's just rare that a bug is so incredibly easy to produce like this. It makes me wonder how they missed it... Someone needs to update Apple unit tests.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Ed91
macrumors 6502

Odd, it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm aware it's case sensitive.. still nothing. Hm.

[Edit] I lied, it does work. I just wasn't typing fast enough.
Ed91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:33 AM   #19
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearfriendx View Post
Yeah, this is SO utterly embarrassing. Most of the world is required to type 'file:/*' into most apps these days. Their stock is going to plummet
Exactly, haven't typed 'File://' into anything for 60 years until this post and probably won't have too until I die.

Definitely worried....................NOT!!!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:33 AM   #20
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetticrew View Post
Didn't crash my terminal.
That means it's probably a bug in a proprietary Apple layer. I don't believe Terminal uses Apple tech for its text rendering (besides the usual Quartz layer for drawing...).
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:33 AM   #21
Verita
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Ugh. I just tried to contact an Apple representative about this, and as soon as I described the problem, they hung up on me. This bug goes deep, man.
Stop trying to crash the Apple campus!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:35 AM   #22
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
And that, my friend, is utter nonsense.

There is no vulnerability. There is an embarrassing bug that causes an exception to be thrown, which is not handled (because it shouldn't have been thrown), and uncaught exceptions stop the application from running. This would be inconvenient if it happened in a common situation, but Mountain Lion has been out for many months without anyone noticing, so nobody is inconvenienced. But importantly, because the effect of the bug is to stop the application from running, it is not something that can be exploited for malware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
I know. It's just rare that a bug is so incredibly easy to produce like this. It makes me wonder how they missed it... Someone needs to update Apple unit tests.
"Easy to reproduce" doesn't mean "easy to find". This should have been found in a code review (someone checked that a URL is a "file url" by checking that it starts with the characters "file://" which is obvious nonsense - "File://" or "fIlE://" is perfectly legal), but anybody who is clever enough to write a unit test for the "File" case would also have been clever enough to get the code right in the first place.

Last edited by gnasher729; Feb 4, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
gnasher729 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:35 AM   #23
dyn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The Next Web has a detailed analysis of the issue, noting that it is related to Apple's Data Detectors feature for automatically recognizing dates, locations and other information in text for addition to Address Book or Calendar entries.
This is not specific to data detectors. You can easily try it in TextEdit which allows you to enable/disable the data detectors. No matter what setting you use it will still crash. Disabling the spell checker however stops it crashing. The same thing happens with other applications, especially when you disable the autocorrect/spell checking options in system preferences > language & text. This seems to be a bug in the autocorrect/spell checking system and not in the data detectors.

Quote:
While it is rather surprising that the issue took so long to receive publicity, Apple is now likely to include a fix for the problem sooner rather than later.
It is absolutely not surprising at all. Most people do not use this to open a folder in Finder from a certain application. They use Finder (or something similar) to do so. It is not a common way of doing things. Also, not many people write documentation or any other kind of texts where they mention File:/// I think more than 95% of the Mac users may not even known the existence of File:/// before this issue was mentioned on sites like neowin.net, macrumors.com, etc.

Yes it's a strange bug but not a big one since most people won't even run into it anyway.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:36 AM   #24
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Heh. Wonder if it effects any other versions of OS X.
You might find that answer here, at least it is not an issue on 10.5.8

Crash Apps by simply typing File:///
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:37 AM   #25
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
And that, my friend, is utter nonsense.

There is no vulnerability. There is an embarrassing bug that causes an exception to be thrown, which is not handled (because it shouldn't have been thrown), and uncaught exceptions stop the application from running. This would be inconvenient if it happened in a common situation, but Mountain Lion has been out for many months without anyone noticing, so nobody is inconvenienced. But importantly, because the effect of the bug is to stop the application from running, it is not something that can be exploited for malware.
Well, truly malicious malware might be able to use this to cause your apps to repetitively crash. Especially given how trivial it is to automate text entry on a Mac using simple AppleScript commands.
ConCat is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion