Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Slow news day?

Yeah, that's the ticket.

eGtxZTR4MTI_o_saturday-night-live-jon-lovitz-as-tommy-flanagan.jpg

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I had nothing but trouble since 10.8

This is by far the worst Mac OS X update since I can remember.
10.7 was stable and bug free from the beginning.
I am tired of disappearing icons, crashes on multiple apps and video problems with dual screens.
I hope they release 10.9 soon. This is ridiculous.:mad:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I stab my eye with a spoon".
"Don't do it then. ".

This hasn't crashed any Mac except those who read the article and had to try it out.

Well, sure... but I can't help but wonder what the comments would look like if the article was "Bug found that instantly crashes any Windows 8 App". We'd all be laughing at how bad Microsoft QC is and "that's why I have a Mac" and how glad we were that we weren't "at risk" and all that jazz.

Instead we're all here saying "oh, no big deal" and "Hey cool, it works on my machine too!"

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I was able to replicate the results of the bug. Typed 'File:///' into Text Edit and it crashed immediately.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Well, sure... but I can't help but wonder what the comments would look like if the article was "Bug found that instantly crashes any Windows 8 App". We'd all be laughing at how bad Microsoft QC is and "that's why I have a Mac" and how glad we were that we weren't "at risk" and all that jazz.

Instead we're all here saying "oh, no big deal" and "Hey cool, it works on my machine too!"

Precisely. Apps shouldn't crash. That is truly the bottom-line here.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
This is so crazy! :confused:

I crashed so many apps by typing it, even renaming Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 layer names also crashes the app.

(Screenshots taken right before crash)

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 5.45.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 5.47.06 PM.png

And so stupid of me typing the file-thing while replying to this thread. :D

(Took after Safari freeze)

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 5.48.45 PM.png

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Dont think of it as a bug. Think of it as an alternative way of closing an app :D

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
But why the F does it have to be File:///...?

Who the F should be responsible For this F'ing mess...? Who the F should be Fired from Apple...?

Well I guess Mountain Lion does not only suck, it is totally F-ed up...

SNOW LEOPARD FTW....!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Well I seem to to be immune. File:///

Can type away to my hearts content um.. not that I would ever need to

UK
Mac Pro 2008
Standard setup apart from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2048 MB ( Hacked Rom PC )

I wonder if it's Country / Ascii related?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

That was soooo on the money......

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
@prowlmedia: I cant even quote your last post in the forums because it contains F...:/// and Safari crashes. :D :D

Also crashes on 10.8.2, 17" MacbookPro, Germany Keyboard

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012

UK
Mac Pro 2008

I'm in the UK on an iMac 2011 model running 10.8.2, and it crashed me.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

UK
Mac Pro 2008

No its not, or at least doesnt seem to be. I'm also in the UK and it happens for me. I take it you tried it in Textedit and arent typing at the pace of a granny?

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Lights out.

Well, this explains last night's power outage at the Superdome.
Someone typed "File:///" last night. ;)

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
In fact... Just trying to edit the post in which I quoted prowlmedia led to safari crashing lol.

What a fascinating bug.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Well, I'm laughing. It's highly embarrassing. And it is indeed no big deal; you wouldn't be able to reproduce the problem if the magic string to enter hadn't been published, and it crashes an application, which is annoying but safe. You can get exactly the same effect by pressing command-option-escape.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
If I download malicious software from you (also known as a "Trojan") that can send AppleScript to type text into an app to crash it, then the same software can very easily send AppleScript to the Finder to delete all my documents, or send AppleScript to Mail to mail my documents to some server, and so on. One thing it can do is to send a "Quit" command to each running application via AppleScript. The insecure operation is downloading untrusted software.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I stab my eye with a spoon".
"Don't do it then. ".

This hasn't crashed any Mac except those who read the article and had to try it out.

It didn't crash my Macs, but then again, I made it crash a friend's iMac a couple of days ago.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Surely websites can troll Apple users now by having a text box with the crash text already pre-written just to crash our browsers.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
typing file:/// causes it to crash?

here's an idea: don't type file:///

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.