Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Hi All

After ordering my 27" imac powerhouse on jan 24th, I now have a buyer for my 2010 21.5 iMac.

Thing is, they want it now and my imac is not coming till 20th feb (well according to this forum it could be much longer)

I have a macbook pro and was wondering if i should back up the Imac and sell (getting it ready for the 27" arrival) OR somehow move my work files i.e. dreamweaver sites, FCPX and adobe video projects onto an external drive etc.

Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hi All

After ordering my 27" imac powerhouse on jan 24th, I now have a buyer for my 2010 21.5 iMac.

Thing is, they want it now and my imac is not coming till 20th feb (well according to this forum it could be much longer)

I have a macbook pro and was wondering if i should back up the Imac and sell (getting it ready for the 27" arrival) OR somehow move my work files i.e. dreamweaver sites, FCPX and adobe video projects onto an external drive etc.

Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated?

Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!

I sale a lot of used electronics on CL - I find this to be the best time to sell - why? Tax Refunds!

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england

So is there a good way to continue working using my macbook pro (even if it is slightly slower) and accessing all the data on my iMac? thanks

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I sale a lot of used electronics on CL - I find this to be the best time to sell - why? Tax Refunds!

Oh if that were true here ( UK) everyone is paying off smoking CC bills..The 27" that's for sale is a maxed out 2011 model with all the goodies...I don't want to give it away...It has full AC until 2014 too...Guess I will just have to be patient!:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
So is there a good way to continue working using my macbook pro (even if it is slightly slower) and accessing all the data on my iMac? thanks

Have you got an external drive? USB / Thunderbolt etc? If you grab one as a stop gap, you could put all your Imac data on that and use it that way with your MBP....I actually wound up getting a buyer for my MBP 17" first, but decided to take the sale...I'm not in your position as I have my new iMac, and an MBA 13" plus ipad etc. But I do want to sell it now. The original plan was a maxed out rMBP 15" but I guess I'll wait for the refresh now. It's kind of nut's having two...It's ready to go...!

Attachments

• Imacs.png
    Imacs.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 62

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Yes, I have 3 x 1tb firewire drives and 4 or 5 usb 2 drives.

So do I just copy the documents folder over before I sell?

Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

am I just confusing a simple situation here :rolleyes:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California

Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

your confusing a simple situation simply back up and sell :cool:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011

Just backup to your external, erase the Imac and your good to go. If it's just documents and photos / itunes content then it's even easier, but I'd go with a full backup...You might want to consider using carbon cloner or similar. This will give you a complete image of your old iMac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.