Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I think if Siri is integrated into 10.9, it should be able to work through your iPhone as long as it's next to the computer.

"Launch Photoshop on my Mac."

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Probably OS X 10.10. There haven't been any rumors to make me think that they're working on any new operating system. Cat names will probably disappear though - only because they're running out.

Keep in mind, these aren't decimals. It's just a naming convention.

OS X - the name of the operating system.

OS X 10.x - Where "x" is the major release version. For context, OS X 10.7 -> OS X 10.8 is the equivalent of Windows 7 -> Windows 8. Also the equivalent of old school Mac OS 7 -> Mac OS 8.

OS X 10.x.y - Where "y" is the minor release version. Each of these are equivalent to the various "service packs" that Microsoft puts out for Windows. OS X 10.4 had 11 of these.

Thought that X was in Roman numeral 10.
Industry likes Arabic numbers, so to 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, etc

(more below)

The next versions will be 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 and so on, and Apple can recycle the cat names: Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther and so on.

Their is also Lynx, Ocelot, Bobcat, Siberian Tiger, Bengal (tiger), Saber tooth (being extinct, probably dead possibility), Margay. Maybe a few others.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I remember when I couldn't wait to get details of a new OS X version, now it seems like actual useful new features rarely appear. I'm only on 10.7 and I even regret updating to that. Where are the compelling new features? Siri, Facebook, and maps on the desktop aren't very exciting or even useful to me. Maybe I'm in the minority? I dunno, but the excitement for OS X is long gone for me, and yet there are still long-standing bugs and quirks in Finder and Safari that seem will never get fixed.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
A new, modern, simplified, Jony'fied UI-look.
+ updated GFX drives. And the removal of LaunchPad.

Now that would get my blood flowin'.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Siri and a Apple Maps?

if those are the only changes that's not much of an update. I have siri turned off on my phone, and use google maps mostly.

BOOO

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Hoping for Siri integration, especially if it can be activated with a voice command instead of just a key press. If they made it so I can just say "Siri, do this and that and so and so" without having to say "Siri" first and wait for her to acknowledge me, it will be even better. It needs to be Star Trek speed. As soon as I say "Siri" it needs to acknowledge me and listen as I continue saying my command. I want to be Captain Picard. Even more better if we can extend it with plugins and developers can build their own. And if we can use AppleScript and other languages to extend it too. Setting command words she can listen for and run certain scripts. That's the Siri integration I want.

But that would mean Siri would always be on, eavesdropping. Yay big brother!

Plus, think of all the goof ups it'll make if you're in a crowded place and it thinks someone's saying Siri.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

Maybe it'll only work on the newly released Mac Pro's. Maybe it will require Haswell chips. Who knows what maybe will work!

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I still prefer OS X 10.9, "Tabby." :)

Still, what worries me is that they will continue to integrate iOS and MacOS. We'll end up losing the lights below running apps in the dock, we'll eventually lose the ability to run stuff in windows and EVERYTHING will be fullscreen (what's the point in having a big monitor then??), we'll lose access to the filesystem and everything will have to be sandboxed. The system will get dumbed down more and more to the point that those of us who actually know how to use a computer will no longer like using it.

I hope that's not the case, but I do worry about it.

Rob

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Colour Finder

I just hope they bring back the much needed colour sidebar icons.
They quietly did this in iTunes where the colour made a come back and it's MUCH better and easier to navigate as a result, so hopefully this is a sign of things to come across Mac OSX too.
Please please please Apple give us the option to have colour sidebar back in 10.9.
If they do that'll I'll be a VERY happy bunny - fingers crossed! :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apple has recently been launching new versions of OS X on an annual basis, with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion having launched in July of last year, a year after 10.7 Lion in July 2011.

This may hurt them in the long haul. Having used 10.1+, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard (Bertrand Serlet headed OS X releases) were the most solid. Craig Federighi came on in 2009 and was responsible for 10.7-8 (Serlet officially left in 2011, and had nothing to do with 10.7). Apple needs to fire Craig Federighi and go back to a non-schedule release cycle, meaning release it when it's READY. 10.8 is ok with "Total Spaces" and "XtraFinder", otherwise I'm not impressed.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
A new, modern, simplified, Jony'fied UI-look.
+ updated GFX drives. And the removal of LaunchPad.

Now that would get my blood flowin'.

And whats wrong with Launchpad? Its a lot faster to open apps with a swipe than it is to click spotlight and search or open another finder window, click the apps sidebar link, and scroll through.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

I doubt it; all current Mac processors are more than capable of handling Siri. With iOS devices, only the new models could do it well enough to get the feature.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I remember when I couldn't wait to get details of a new OS X version, now it seems like actual useful new features rarely appear. I'm only on 10.7 and I even regret updating to that. Where are the compelling new features? Siri, Facebook, and maps on the desktop aren't very exciting or even useful to me. Maybe I'm in the minority? I dunno, but the excitement for OS X is long gone for me, and yet there are still long-standing bugs and quirks in Finder and Safari that seem will never get fixed.

Same here - I'm on 10.6. Only feature I really would like is Airplay, but it's not supported on my MBP so little point in upgrading.

In the past, I've upgraded eventually out of curiosity (since upgrades are so cheap) but now I have to buy application updates when I update the OS which makes it a lot more expensive and risky.

Most of the features are either very minor, or just apps which are bundled in.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think it will be Lynx.

But they will run out of these names soon.

They should start naming them after people. Then there will be no limit to the number of names.

For example, OS X Steve Jobs 10.9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.