Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
gaddster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: liverpool, england
Sell, wait, hesitate or migrate?

Hi All

After ordering my 27" imac powerhouse on jan 24th, I now have a buyer for my 2010 21.5 iMac.

Thing is, they want it now and my imac is not coming till 20th feb (well according to this forum it could be much longer)

I have a macbook pro and was wondering if i should back up the Imac and sell (getting it ready for the 27" arrival) OR somehow move my work files i.e. dreamweaver sites, FCPX and adobe video projects onto an external drive etc.

Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated?
gaddster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddster View Post
Hi All

After ordering my 27" imac powerhouse on jan 24th, I now have a buyer for my 2010 21.5 iMac.

Thing is, they want it now and my imac is not coming till 20th feb (well according to this forum it could be much longer)

I have a macbook pro and was wondering if i should back up the Imac and sell (getting it ready for the 27" arrival) OR somehow move my work files i.e. dreamweaver sites, FCPX and adobe video projects onto an external drive etc.

Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated?
Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!
I sale a lot of used electronics on CL - I find this to be the best time to sell - why? Tax Refunds!
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
gaddster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: liverpool, england
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!
So is there a good way to continue working using my macbook pro (even if it is slightly slower) and accessing all the data on my iMac? thanks
gaddster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
I sale a lot of used electronics on CL - I find this to be the best time to sell - why? Tax Refunds!
Oh if that were true here ( UK) everyone is paying off smoking CC bills..The 27" that's for sale is a maxed out 2011 model with all the goodies...I don't want to give it away...It has full AC until 2014 too...Guess I will just have to be patient!
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddster View Post
So is there a good way to continue working using my macbook pro (even if it is slightly slower) and accessing all the data on my iMac? thanks
Have you got an external drive? USB / Thunderbolt etc? If you grab one as a stop gap, you could put all your Imac data on that and use it that way with your MBP....I actually wound up getting a buyer for my MBP 17" first, but decided to take the sale...I'm not in your position as I have my new iMac, and an MBA 13" plus ipad etc. But I do want to sell it now. The original plan was a maxed out rMBP 15" but I guess I'll wait for the refresh now. It's kind of nut's having two...It's ready to go...!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imacs.png
Views:	21
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	394458  
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
gaddster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: liverpool, england
Yes, I have 3 x 1tb firewire drives and 4 or 5 usb 2 drives.

So do I just copy the documents folder over before I sell?

Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

am I just confusing a simple situation here
gaddster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddster View Post
Yes, I have 3 x 1tb firewire drives and 4 or 5 usb 2 drives.

So do I just copy the documents folder over before I sell?

Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

am I just confusing a simple situation here
your confusing a simple situation simply back up and sell
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddster View Post
Yes, I have 3 x 1tb firewire drives and 4 or 5 usb 2 drives.

So do I just copy the documents folder over before I sell?

Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

am I just confusing a simple situation here
Just backup to your external, erase the Imac and your good to go. If it's just documents and photos / itunes content then it's even easier, but I'd go with a full backup...You might want to consider using carbon cloner or similar. This will give you a complete image of your old iMac.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks

Last edited by Macman45; Feb 4, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #10
gaddster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: liverpool, england
Ha thanks guys, will check out carbon cloner for sure

gaddster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Migrate or not Migrate my user account? That is the question... comics addict MacBook Pro 0 Feb 23, 2013 10:37 PM
Should I wait or sell now? stimm32 MacBook Pro 4 Feb 19, 2013 07:52 PM
Sell iPhone today or wait to Unlock then sell? lionfleet Buying Tips and Advice 3 Oct 2, 2012 09:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC