Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For anyone in the UK thinking of snatching up an Xperia Z, Sony is offering free £299 headphones for preordering. Wondering if there'll be something similar in the US...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-pair-of-mdr-1r-headphones-worth-299-uk-only/

nexusae0_Untitled-1.png

Sexy.

Please post impressions, those that are getting it!

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Just pre ordered one.

To me I dont give a monkeys about specs in terms of not having the latest processor. Im sure the current quad core is plenty fast and powerful enough.

What I am more interested in and the main reason for me getting this phone is because of the classy design and materials. At last we have an Android phone not made ofzy cheap plastic or polycarbonate. Yes the Nexus 4 is also all glass but its design is ugly and horrible.

I would be interested in the S4 and Note 3 but Samsung need to get away from their rounded design and cheap plastic construction.

Im surprised so many Android users put up with the cheap plastic. Quality of mateials and design are the sole reasons for Apples success. It isnt specs thats for sure.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011

mr.suff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2006
Leeds
Three UK are getting their demo models in round about now.

photo-3_zps763ce142.jpg

It feels great in the hand, and surprisingly light. Much better than a Nexus 4.
Smooth operation too. Haven't had a chance to check the camera out yet.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Three UK are getting their demo models in round about now.

It feels great in the hand, and surprisingly light. Much better than a Nexus 4.
Smooth operation too. Haven't had a chance to check the camera out yet.

Moooar impressions!

----------

No Xperia Z for US according to this chart. Too bad it's the model I like.

I would be baffled if they didn't bring it to the US. :eek:

EDIT: Isn't this it?

fnAHUxr.png

Says "America" and lists "Xperia Z". Am I reading the chart wrong?

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Anyone know what DAC this phone uses? Hopefully it is the same as their walkman Z. The fact that they are offering highend headphones would indicate a quality DAC. However, past xperia phones have only had average DACs.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I've explained this earlier in the thread. The Z does not operate on any American LTE bands. That alone makes it a pretty hard sell for the big 4 carriers. (Aside from T-Mobile.)

Expect AT&T to offer the ZL.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I've explained this earlier in the thread. The Z does not operate on any American LTE bands. That alone makes it a pretty hard sell for the big 4 carriers. (Aside from T-Mobile.)

I see. That would be an odd and unfortunate move from Sony. =T

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Agreed however I do like the ZL a great deal. Non-glass back.

:confused::eek::eek::eek:

The non glass back would be the main reason to avoid the ZL. :apple::apple:

Each to their own I guess ;)

I too would be puzzled if the Z didnt have a version that worked in the US. You cant aim to be a leader in the industry if your product is not even sold in one of the major markets.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
:confused::eek::eek::eek:

The non glass back would be the main reason to avoid the ZL. :apple::apple:

Each to their own I guess ;)

I too would be puzzled if the Z didnt have a version that worked in the US. You cant aim to be a leader in the industry if your product is not even sold in one of the major markets.

You prefer glass backs? I hate them. The ZL has a really nice textured backing.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Agreed however I do like the ZL a great deal. Non-glass back and extremely compact for a 5" device. Could do really well for AT&T.
Then it will have nothing to set it apart from the upcoming S4. The Z is gorgeous and is water proof to boot.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Moooar impressions!

----------

EDIT: Isn't this it?

Says "America" and lists "Xperia Z". Am I reading the chart wrong?

It's not listed under America (US). Americas as in South America.

----------

Yep. No 1700mhz US bands for Z model. So ZL is not waterproof?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Then it will have nothing to set it apart from the upcoming S4. The Z is gorgeous and is water proof to boot.

Well, it will have an IPS screen. That's a pretty big difference. Plus the S4 and ZL have different skins. Then you have a textured plastic backing versus, I'm assuming, more of the same from the S series which means smooth plastic.

----------

It's not listed under America (US). Americas as in South America.

----------

Yep. No 1700mhz US bands for Z model. So ZL is not waterproof?

It is not.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
You prefer glass backs? I hate them. The ZL has a really nice textured backing.

Glass or metal are the only materials I look for. Cheapass plastic or polycarbonate is a no no. Hell even the plastic edges/skeleton of the Z nearly put me off the Z but in the Android world there is no alternative.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Sony makes such sexy ass Android phones. They will be the one to take Android to the top since they have great build quality with their phones.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Sony makes such sexy ass Android phones. They will be the one to take Android to the top since they have great build quality with their phones.

Haha, this is a joke. They have botched almost all of their Android launches since they started making Android phones.

I'm drawn to the Z, but if Sony is ignore the phone 6 months down the road, then no way am I buying it. At least with a Sammy device, even if Sammy stops making updates in a year, the XDA community will continue making updates.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Haha, this is a joke. They have botched almost all of their Android launches since they started making Android phones.

I'm drawn to the Z, but if Sony is ignore the phone 6 months down the road, then no way am I buying it. At least with a Sammy device, even if Sammy stops making updates in a year, the XDA community will continue making updates.

Well I'm talking about if Sony doesn't lock down their phones and don't stop updating them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.