Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1
kenetic
macrumors regular

MP BootCamp running TV Turner PCIe?

Hi,

I want to watch TV on my Mac Pro, but I don't know which card will work. I am planning to setup Bootcamp on the Mac Pro running Windows 7. I plan on using Windows Media Player to watch TV. I have an indoor antenna.

I know EyeTV is much more feasible, but it's a price issue. If I can get a cheap TV-Turner card that support Windows 7, than I am all set.

Here is my question: Are there any cheap PC TV-Turner card that work on a Mac Pro PCIe?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1.

Thanks
kenetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenetic View Post
Hi,

I want to watch TV on my Mac Pro, but I don't know which card will work. I am planning to setup Bootcamp on the Mac Pro running Windows 7. I plan on using Windows Media Player to watch TV. I have an indoor antenna.

I know EyeTV is much more feasible, but it's a price issue. If I can get a cheap TV-Turner card that support Windows 7, than I am all set.

Here is my question: Are there any cheap PC TV-Turner card that work on a Mac Pro PCIe?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1.

Thanks
Although I don't know for sure, I would think that any PCIe card that is Windows compatible would work. Perhaps someone with some experience with the issue could chime in.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

If you are going to run Windows, then yes, any Windows PCIe or USB tuner will work.

I have used many tuners over the years including PCI, USB, and other. I have to say, the HDHomeRun is by far the best solution. You put the tuner by the antenna and connect to the computer by Ethernet. This has several advantages:
  • Any computer on the network can use the tuner (Mac, PC, Linux, desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone). I use mine with my iPad, Windows 7 Media Center, and EyeTV.
  • You can place the antenna where you get the best reception instead of where your computer is.
  • No spotty PCI or USB drivers that cause crashes (this happened to me a lot with Hauppage devices).
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
kenetic
macrumors regular

thanks ActionableMango!

Let me check into it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
kenetic
macrumors regular

I saw HDHomeRun is made by two manufactures. Elgato and Silicondust. Which one do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
If you are going to run Windows, then yes, any Windows PCIe or USB tuner will work.

I have used many tuners over the years including PCI, USB, and other. I have to say, the HDHomeRun is by far the best solution. You put the tuner by the antenna and connect to the computer by Ethernet. This has several advantages:
  • Any computer on the network can use the tuner (Mac, PC, Linux, desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone). I use mine with my iPad, Windows 7 Media Center, and EyeTV.
  • You can place the antenna where you get the best reception instead of where your computer is.
  • No spotty PCI or USB drivers that cause crashes (this happened to me a lot with Hauppage devices).
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

I bought mine from SiliconDust. It was the dual tuner model, so I can either record two shows at the same time, or watch live TV while recording one show.

I believe they are all SiliconDust and Elgato just slaps their brand name on it.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro