Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:36 AM   #1
McVee
macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard cannot be installed over 10.5.8

Greetings my fellow Mac lovers, I am posting here because I have a very serious problem that needs you guys to help me solve it.
I have a c2d 2.0 ghz black macbook that runs 10.5.8 right now with 120 GB SSD. I was trying to install Snow Leopard on to it via the dvd that came with the new 27inch iMac I bought, yet after i pop in the DVD, the screen shows that "Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer," did some search, and tried the following
1 verify, repair disc image as well as disc permission under disc utility,
2. repartitioned the drive, I partitioned the drive and then revert it.
3. Boot the computer via Snow Leopard DVD, and under it, the screen still says " Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer" In other words, I can't even do a clean install.

I have never been so frustrated with my macs before , I tried digging around for answers on google and still no hope. Please rescue me

happy holidays! McVee
McVee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

Try getting a legal copy to use. The one that came with your iMac is for your iMac.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Try getting a legal copy to use. The one that came with your iMac is for your iMac.
+1 The restore disks that come with your computer are just for the iMac. Youll need the actual version of snow leopard to install it on a different machine. Luckly its only $30
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

/ About this Mac / More Info / Model Identifier

The restore DVDs are keyed to the model identifier, since they change quite often and only work on a specific model ... you are SOL.

Though there are rather simple ways around this problem.

And if you ask instead of searching, the mods won't take kindly to your request.

So search, or buy a retail DVD. It is only $30, and if you can buy a new 27 machine, we feel no pity for your situation.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:21 AM   #5
McVee
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, will try it with retail DVD..
McVee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
neerja777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
+1 The restore disks that come with your computer are just for the iMac. Youll need the actual version of snow leopard to install it on a different machine. Luckly its only $30
Don't be so quick to judge! I was sent a 2-set DVD of Snow Leopard from Apple and paid for with my itunes account and apple ID. IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER!
I, too, have been frustrated all day attempting to install on partitioned hard drive, as well as external usb bootable drive. I have followed all of the tips and tricks - TRIED EVERYTHING. I also verified that my imac is compatible with the software and according to apple support, it is, plus it came with Leopard on it, so doesn't it make sense it could run Snow Leopard? Well, no. Nothing works. The only thing it says is that it cannot be installed... and I PAID for it legally!

Wait!!! I just found this post: http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-...ash-drive.html and following the step by step instructions appears to be working! OMG you have use the "restore" feature in disk utility! It is now copying files to my external drive and it is looking good...

Last edited by neerja777; Feb 4, 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: new info!
neerja777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X