Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Yup, my interest has switched to the mini. I passed down my 1st gen iPad to the kids and got me a mini. I still haven't filled up a 16g iPad yet.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I think the chances of the iPad 5 starting with 32gb is slim. With cloud services now, the reliance to keep everything on your iPad locally has gone down. There will always be users that want everything to be is there which is fair especially when you consider the cost of data plans. However, most people are okay with 16gb. I personally will continue to get the 64gb model.

Heck, if I was Apple, I would keep four storage sizes for the next year or two before considering coming back to three sizes. Why? More cash!!!

I would agree with you if it weren't for providers raping us with the cost of data.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

Here's my situation:

I love TV series, but hate watching them when they air, because I can't wait a week after one episode, they sometimes don't broadcast in correct order, I might not have time to watch the episodes at given times, I want to be my own director of programming.

Now, when on vacation I want to travel light, so I won't bring my iMac.
Instead I'd like to bring my iPhone, hook it up to an Apple TV and enjoy my shows...

Now... those 64GB quickly fill up with apps, photos and videos I take (especially on vacation, duh ^^) and so forth.
Leaves room for ~15GB of TV shows... Don't even bother putting something on there! :p

In fact, iPhone's capacity can't be big enough, same for the iPad, especially as they market it as computer. 128GB should be the starting capacity for any "computer". (Actually more than that, but I'll give them some leeway)

And I want the iTunes integration, yes, many mock iTunes, I love it. I like that it counts my plays and hence, watching a tv show is ever so convenient.
No more "at which episode did I stop? at which SEASON?" for me. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
Oh...didnt realize we were even discussing JB or not.

Well, if unlimited SD-Storage selection via iFile and free Tethering of your bought-data, and zyphyr 1 finger swip up app switcher are not reasons enough to JB, I don'k know what are!!!
LOL!!

But you're missing the point. 90% of Consumers a)don't even know about jailbreaking and b)out of the 10% that do know, probably only 10% of them actually jb.

It's a very small percentage of Consumers...techies, really.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Now, apple, really ? Drop the 16GB, and shuffle the prices all down by 100 and then your going to look sensible,

Im lucky, i get my ipad mini wifi+3g 32gb for £69 , it comes with my mobile phone/tablet joint contract, if i had to actually BUY a device outright, id go for an android or surface, better price/performance ratio

DaveWil

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
128gb = $799
256gb = $899
512gb = $999
1TB = $1099
2TB = $1199
4TB = $1299
8TB = $1399

Yea I think the 8tb would be nice. :)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why Apple? Why push a new high price instead of cutting current prices or just sitting on it till a model update?

Because Apple is in the business of making a profit. Cutting prices would reduce profit. Would you make such an offer to your boss? "I'll take on added responsibility for an increase in pay." Or, "I'll take a cut in pay until youi can find someone to replace me."

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
There isn't a 8tb flash drive yet, and you are assuming a doubling of space with only $100 increase, which I think isn't possible nor feasible.

The 100$ increase is illogical as you'll need to add additional memory chips instead of just changing the actual memory chip. But, it is possible with a system using RAID 0. I'm not aware of the actual maximum size of the memory chip used by the iPad... But, it would probably cost few K$ :p

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
128GB is nice but not for that price. Seems Apple is getting greedier now with their pricing (as if they weren't already). No plans to ditch my iPad 3 unless price comes down to a more reasonable level or hardware gets super updated soon.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
But you're missing the point. 90% of Consumers a)don't even know about jailbreaking and b)out of the 10% that do know, probably only 10% of them actually jb.

It's a very small percentage of Consumers...techies, really.

true true....i do agree with everyon else here though, that it was pretty douchy to keep the 16 giger and increase the price by $100.....

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'd like to see a 128gb Touch , thats where I think the size is long overdue

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
This is great news!
Pushes out the top end to a nice 128Gb.

Now I just need to sell my 32Gb iPad 2 ;)

They just need to make the 32GB the base 16 is not worth anything though, not enough space after the OS and standard apps, leaves you with 13.5 which is cheesy...

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Wow a 128 gb for $799 (interesting, the prices are listed in CND). I really hope that flash technology drop in price real soon
Why hope for a price drop in flash technology? Apply will still charge $100 more because they know some sheep will still overpay.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
What are you people putting on your iPads that would require so much space? Now that I use iTunes Match for music, I have a hard time even filling up 16GB. I can see maybe 32GB if you want to store some movies but 128GB?

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Because Apple is in the business of making a profit. Cutting prices would reduce profit. Would you make such an offer to your boss? "I'll take on added responsibility for an increase in pay." Or, "I'll take a cut in pay until youi can find someone to replace me."

Yes, but they also make profit from selling more of them. One can argue that they would make profit selling more iPads a a lower price.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Tempted

Even though it is outreagousely overpriced I'm kind of tempted because I really want the retina, lte and upgraded camera. I doubt Apple will do anything earth shattering in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.