Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

Hunger for 2013 MBA - not as much as in the past?

For every iteration of the MBA there had been glaring deficiencies (in my eyes) that've made me hungry for the next version, eg RAM, CPU, hinge, backlighting, SSD capacity etc in previous MBAs. But my 2012 11" MBA doesn't really have any. It does everything I want it to do, and while a beefier CPU and GPU would speed things up a bit, there's no one upgrade that'd make me automatically buy a 2013 model. I guess the closest for me is battery, which I can't imagine would be substantially upgraded.

Anyone feeling the same or differently?
Jobsian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

There isn't really much you can do to make a laptop better, barring better specs. Stuff like better screen or inbuilt 3G/4G will likely come at the expense of shorter battery life. Not many people who use an air would have need for more than 4gb of ram. I doubt Apple will be changing its signature wedge design anytime soon. Material maybe?
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:11 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobsian View Post
For every iteration of the MBA there had been glaring deficiencies (in my eyes) that've made me hungry for the next version, eg RAM, CPU, hinge, backlighting, SSD capacity etc in previous MBAs. But my 2012 11" MBA doesn't really have any. It does everything I want it to do, and while a beefier CPU and GPU would speed things up a bit, there's no one upgrade that'd make me automatically buy a 2013 model. I guess the closest for me is battery, which I can't imagine would be substantially upgraded.

Retina display.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Violet1337
macrumors member

Quote:

I must say, I would be really happy if they inserted backlights for all external ports such as the USB ports, headphone jack, etc. I hope that comes out in 2013!
Violet1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
MacLappy
macrumors regular

Quote:

Had both the 13" 2010, 2011 base models, upgraded to 11" i7/8/128 2012 model last year. I too can't see myself upgrading this year for the same reason.
MacLappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:59 AM   #6
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Retina.

Once you've seriously used it, everything else just looks grainy.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
David58117
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Retina.

For awhile.

Then you adjust.

Atleast I do..
David58117 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet1337 View Post
I must say, I would be really happy if they inserted backlights for all external ports such as the USB ports, headphone jack, etc. I hope that comes out in 2013!

The "breathing" ring around old plastic Macbooks' power port was cool. However look at the currently Air, there is no room whatsoever to place a ring around anything and it would be unthinkable Apple doesn't make a even THINNER product than last generation's
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Retina.

This. The display on the 2011 MBA is fine enough, but after using my iPhone for so long it would really be nice if all of my devices had "retina or better" displays. Lack of a retina quality display is why I chose not to buy the first gen. iPad mini.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
MonkeyCookie
macrumors newbie

There's a possibility (I'd say it's likely) that the 2013 MBA refresh will have Intel's Haswell processor and related integrated graphics in it. Haswell uses much less power than previous generations and the integrated graphics hardware has improved a lot, so the battery life and graphics capability of the MBA will go up tremendously, not to mention a much faster processor. For me that's a promising upgrade.

My white Macbook is getting pretty old, and I've been waiting for a Haswell MBA before I upgrade. If Haswell delivers what it promises, then it will be a big step up from the previous revision.
MonkeyCookie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
MTD's Mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
The "breathing" ring around old plastic Macbooks' power port was cool. However look at the currently Air, there is no room whatsoever to place a ring around anything and it would be unthinkable Apple doesn't make a even THINNER product than last generation's
When I went from a MBP 13" to an Air I did kind of miss the "breathing" indicator. Has Apple removed it from the Retina MacBook Pros, and/or the latest iMacs too? I feel like it might have been a nice touch 5 years ago to make the devices seem more alive, but today it feels a little tacky.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #12
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCookie View Post
There's a possibility (I'd say it's likely) that the 2013 MBA refresh will have Intel's Haswell processor and related integrated graphics in it. Haswell uses much less power than previous generations and the integrated graphics hardware has improved a lot, so the battery life and graphics capability of the MBA will go up tremendously, not to mention a much faster processor. For me that's a promising upgrade.

My white Macbook is getting pretty old, and I've been waiting for a Haswell MBA before I upgrade. If Haswell delivers what it promises, then it will be a big step up from the previous revision.
This nails it - graphics power and battery life. No retina, thanks, unless and until it can be done without hits to battery life/thickness/weight/heat.

But yeah, the 2012 is a great, great laptop as-is. My favorite current Mac model.
QCassidy352 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #13
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD's Mac View Post
When I went from a MBP 13" to an Air I did kind of miss the "breathing" indicator. Has Apple removed it from the Retina MacBook Pros, and/or the latest iMacs too? I feel like it might have been a nice touch 5 years ago to make the devices seem more alive, but today it feels a little tacky.
It is not on the rMBPs either.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #14
dss10
macrumors newbie

I have a late 2010 ultimate and am wrestling with my own upgrade schedule. A lit key board would be nice but I have 4gb ram and 256 of storage and need nothing more. I think the only real reason to upgrade is if there is a new must have OS that requires more ram or if they come out with an 11" with a LTE chip....
dss10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:09 PM   #15
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
No MBP 13" ever had that? I remember my iBook G4 did. Not even my white MacBook from 2007.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:41 PM   #16
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I just dont think retina will happen on the air ever. It would eat up their retina pro sales. It would be like putting voice/3g/lte on the ipod touch while it would be cool it does not make sense and they wont do it.

TouchMint.com is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #17
calvol
macrumors 6502a

I love my 2010 13 MBA, and can't see upgrading unless the 2013 gets at least 10 hours battery life, which I now get now with no problem using Coolbook. Really is nice on long international flights, between the 2010 MBA and my iPad2 I could fly halfway around the world on one charge.
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:26 PM   #18
MTD's Mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
No MBP 13" ever had that? I remember my iBook G4 did. Not even my white MacBook from 2007.
13" unibody MBP did/does?, on the front near the IR sensor...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
daonesteven
macrumors 6502

Quote:
same here, it's funny how such a meaningless feature can mean so much but it would really be a nice touch to incorporate this somehow into the mba...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:38 PM   #20
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonesteven View Post
same here, it's funny how such a meaningless feature can mean so much but it would really be a nice touch to incorporate this somehow into the mba...
Not a meaningless feature. It tells you when it's asleep and the hard drive has spun down. It's necessary so that you aren't moving the laptop abruptly while it's still writing to the hard drive.

On the MBA with its SSD, it would be meaningless though as there are no moving parts.

Still love that little blinker though...
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 PM   #21
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
I just dont think retina will happen on the air ever. It would eat up their retina pro sales.
They will probably merge the lines totally. They will simply be "MacBooks" like they used to be called.

12, 14, and 16" with less bezel? Let's wait and see.
DisMyMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:04 AM   #22
catracho
macrumors member

Do you think that 2013 MacBook Air model will have 8GB of RAM?

My country doesn´t have apple store and I have to buy "stock" models but I don't think that only 4GB of RAM is good fot the future considering that you cant upgrade after.
catracho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:11 AM   #23
Violet1337
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catracho View Post
Do you think that 2013 MacBook Air model will have 8GB of RAM?

My country doesn´t have apple store and I have to buy "stock" models but I don't think that only 4GB of RAM is good fot the future considering that you cant upgrade after.
I sure hope that 8GB RAM becomes standard in the 2013 refresh. Is this likely to happen or will it remain as option?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:19 AM   #24
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

I am VERY hungry to see what the 2013 Air has in store.

Once the laptop line is updated this year I will be upgrading from my 2010 Air, and will either go with the Air or Retina Pro.

If the Air gets an IPS screen with that new laminated process from the iMac then I might stick with the Air. I'd like a Retina screen, but I really enjoy the wedge form factor.

As for performance, the Haswell Air will be more than enough for me (the HD4600 will be an excellent improvement in graphics).

I do need something that will edit 1080p in FCPX better, but only need to do it occasionally. The Core2Duo in my current model can't keep up, but any Sandy Bridge forward processor will be fine. Haswell will be more than enough there.

I do think Apple may finally bring the black aluminum that is seen in the iPhone and iPad Mini to the Air line...would be a way to "redesign" it.

We shall see. Also want to see if the cost of the 13" rMBP comes come with the next gen.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 AM   #25
kulimer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Retina display.
I hate retina display, they hurt my eyes so bad.
kulimer is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air