Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?

Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.

They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!

Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Or even better use Google voice and get a real phone number with free calls and sms!

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?

They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.

Dang, TY for the info. So if I swapped my ipad SIM and got it to work what would ATT do? Oh well, I can always tether it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.